Exhibit A:
Posted Image

#682 STL FANATIC

STL FANATIC
  • King of Consistency

• Moderators
  • 11,223 posts

Posted March 25, 2009 - 01:18

Okay then. Is that a black facemask, or just poor picture quality? And does the rest of the numeral font bear as uncomfortable a resemblance to the Eagles'?

Looks like the Jags (old?) font to me.

Hopefully it's original, though.

#683 GoNordiques

GoNordiques
  • TEN YEARS UNITED

• Members
  • 5,010 posts

• Favourite Logos:(Unused) Quebec Nordiques
      Detroit Tigers (1961-1993)

Posted March 25, 2009 - 01:28

Looks like the number have a swash on them, notice the inside over the 0 and 9. It really resembles the wordmark.

#684 AsM29

AsM29

• Members
  • 1,373 posts

Posted March 25, 2009 - 01:34

Okay then. Is that a black facemask, or just poor picture quality? And does the rest of the numeral font bear as uncomfortable a resemblance to the Eagles'?

Yes, the facemask is black. Just to be on the safe side though, I am going to shut my mouth now. Sorry guys.

#685 Coast2CoastAM2006

Coast2CoastAM2006
  • The new mascot of the New York Mets

• Members
  • 7,337 posts

• Favourite Logos:Islanders Fisherman

Posted March 25, 2009 - 03:47

the only real change that needs to be made is switching the facemask from black to blue.

Islanders96.png

"I walked away from the Last Great Time War, I marked the passing of the Timelords, I saw the birth of the universe and I watched as time ran out, moment by moment until nothing remained -- no time, no space, just ME! I walked in universes where the laws of physics were devised by the mind of a mad man! And I watched universes freeze and creations burn, I have seen things you wouldn't believe, I have lost things you will never understand! And I know things, secrets that must never be told, knowledge that must never be spoken! Knowledge that will make parasite gods blaze! So come on then! Take it! Take it all baby! Have it! You have it all!"

#686 In 5..4..3..2..1

In 5..4..3..2..1

• Banned
  • 815 posts

Posted March 25, 2009 - 07:32

Funny comment on the lions fanatics board, I don't know if anyone else has heard it or mentioned it

it goes Thundercats,Thundercats,Thundercats Whooaa!

It does kind of look like the thundercats logo

DING, DONG, Bubbles is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#687 CubsFanBudMan

CubsFanBudMan
  • Member No. 14

• Members
  • 3,580 posts

Posted March 25, 2009 - 07:48

Seeing the two logos side-by-side reinforces my first impression of an upgrade. It's a nice modernization.

As far as the uniforms, it doesn't look like they scaled back as far as I'd hoped. The black still looks out of place to me, even though they standardized the striping. It still looks like an add-on, especially on the blue. (Could be partly due to the blurry scanned sheet, but is that black-white-gray?) Maybe it always will look wrong to me. The numbers? Well, I figured that was coming. Half thought they'd go Orlando Predators and match the wordmark slashes.

But I really like the logo. Maybe a clearer look will make the rest look better, too.

#688 sweeper13

sweeper13

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted March 25, 2009 - 07:55

Looks like the Jags (old?) font to me.

Hopefully it's original, though.

I definitely think so. I would like to see a side by side though.

#689 BringBackTheVet

BringBackTheVet
  • 35 - 0, 29 KO

• Members
  • 19,078 posts

Posted March 25, 2009 - 08:02

Big let down on the uniforms. I can't believe that in this era of form-fitting sleeveless jerseys, a team would make a uniform change and still incorporate traditional sleeve stripes. The new logo is "charging", agressive and has contemporary elements, but the uniforms are "standing still" for lack of a better term. I'm not advocating a Cardinals / Vikings update, but I think it is possible to come up with something that is classic and contemporary, and at least translates well on modern templates.

It definitely looks like the Jaguars' font, but it's hard to tell from that picture.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

#690 Jezus_Ghoti

Jezus_Ghoti
  • Got you roasted like evah

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted March 25, 2009 - 08:20

Someone said in the Jags thread that the Jags will be switching to a more standard block font (unconfirmed). Maybe they gave their font to the Lions.

Overall, I like these. I don't consider it a lateral move. They upgraded the logo. They upgraded the wordmark (maybe not as much as they could have, but it's better for sure and I think it could stand the test of time). They didn't change the uniforms much, but they upgraded the striping by making it consistent across the jerseys, helmets and pants.

We need to celebrate uniform changes like this. The Lions got it right. Now is not the time to whine that they didn't do enough. Think of how badly this could have gone!

#691 Buc

Buc
  • absoBUC'nlutely....

• Members
  • 7,553 posts

• Favourite Logos:Bucco Bruce // Iowa State Cyclones // the original Vancouver Grizzlies // Philadelphia Union // Coastal Carolina Chanticleers

Posted March 25, 2009 - 08:21

Now that I've gotten a chance to see most of if not all of this "new" identity for the Lions, I've come to this simple conclusion:

They blew it.

Looked at as a whole, this new identity does not impress me. As the Philly cat said above, you've got a "sleeker", more modern Lion with these "definition lines"--yet still constrained by that out-of-place black outline. (BTW...there's the silver in the logo? That is, unless the white is interchangeable for silver.) Then you've got this new wordmark that looks more like someone snipped some claw shapes out of the edges of the letters and then used the "Wave" effect in Illustrator and then mailed it in--oh, and let me not forget this part: the script mark is without black outline. A little incongruous, no? Then with these new uniforms. Good that they decided to standardize the striping patterns, BUT...two things here. One, why keep the black in the first place? The way it's used STILL makes it look like an afterthought. The black facemask (from what it appears)...why? And two...if they spent all that "time and energy" looking to modernize their identity, why stay with the same "traditional" look? (And BBTV, excellent point about the sleeve stripes and "armholes" o.k.a. "sleeves".) New number font...arranged in the same triple-layer style as the previous set. Shoulda just kept traditional block for all that.

Maybe it's time I dust off and finish up that Lions concept I've been hiding from y'all for the past two years... ^_^

EDIT: In retrospect, Jezus Ghoti, I guess I can kinda go with that. This could have gone far worse...but overall, I still ain't feeling it.

3x POTD winner:20101229 | 20120728 | 20130924* || dribbble || Behance

#692 Proc

Proc

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted March 25, 2009 - 08:33

As I said before, I really like the updated Bubbles. Its been a fixture here in Motown forever. Yes, its a losing identity, but its ours, LOL.

As for the uniforms...

It doesn't look like the black sleeve stripes were incorporated into the stripe pattern. They look like arm bands again, just on thinner scale.

The wordmark is fine. I never liked the circus-font, old one.

Jersey number font...the jury is out on this for me. I need to see it on real jersey. I am fan of the traditional block font numbers, so this is different. As someone mentioned, is this the font the Jaguars use/used?

And you can't tell from the pic, but is there any silver on the road jersey at all?

Overall? So far, it's o.k. Nothing great, but nothing bad. Evolutionary not revolutionary.

I really would've liked to see the throwback uniforms with the new Bubbles on the helmet. That would've been perfect. Kind of like this (I know the color doesn't match up, I'm not a photo shop expert by any means):
Posted Image

#693 jlentz823

jlentz823

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted March 25, 2009 - 09:01

just on the supposed legitimate sheet, the uniforms (and maybe the logo) could be early incarnations, i do not believe the version number in the bottom left is a fate, so the helmets and uniforms may have changed. just saying it could be a possibility,(if i end up wrong sorry for the false hope)

by the way the script is one of the best scripts out there, definitely has a feel of a lion's tail in the letters

#694 Jezus_Ghoti

Jezus_Ghoti
  • Got you roasted like evah

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted March 25, 2009 - 09:10

AsM2931 already confirmed that these are the uniforms.

#695 KJTALBOT

KJTALBOT

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted March 25, 2009 - 09:48

The Lions new unis remind me a lot of what the 49ers did.
Hi.

#696 Nemesis

Nemesis

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted March 25, 2009 - 09:59

The Lions new unis remind me a lot of what the 49ers did.

Outside of them keeping the black in the uniform, I'm really happy with the look.

Not sure why everything has to go to piping or swooshes on the jerseys and pants.

I'll take this look over Denver's or Atlanta's any day. But hey, that's just me. :)

#697 Captain Poncho

Captain Poncho

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted March 25, 2009 - 10:03

Don't know if it's been mentioned here, but on Headline News this morning, the Lions' logo leak got a mention on the sports segment. It was very much in the same vein of "Those bumbling Lions can't even unveil a logo properly!"

#698 patsox

patsox

• Members
  • 6,283 posts

Posted March 25, 2009 - 10:05

Don't know if it's been mentioned here, but on Headline News this morning, the Lions' logo leak got a mention on the sports segment. It was very much in the same vein of "Those bumbling Lions can't even unveil a logo properly!"

If what you are saying, the Headline News people must be idiots. Wasn't it leaked by NFL Shop?

#699 BringBackTheVet

BringBackTheVet
  • 35 - 0, 29 KO

• Members
  • 19,078 posts

I wouldn't blame it on the "bumbling Lions". In this day and age, it's so tough to keep these things under wraps. We've seen leaks by far more competent organizations.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

#700 In 5..4..3..2..1

In 5..4..3..2..1

• Banned
  • 815 posts

Yeah the late Sportscenter did a same thing with Stve Levy making a similar comment,"The Lions can't do anything right".