Minnesota Twins '09 Unis

TwinsTerritory

As we all know, and as many have seen, the Minnesota Twins will wear a patch this season for the final year in the Metrodome. The team will also wear a patch for their late owner, Carl Pohlad who passed away this off-season. These patches are on one sleeve while the team's states patch is on the other:

Patches.jpg

[i thought this would be fine as it's own thread. Feel free to merge it though.]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be getting ahead of things a bit, but I can't stop wondering whether the Twins will make any major changes upon moving to Target Field next year. I've been itchin' to buy an authentic home jersey, but part of me wants to wait a year to see if do anything new next year.

Anyway, I still think that Dome patch is one of the best I've seen. And for having two patches on one sleeve, it doesn't at all seem cluttered to me.

I may be getting ahead of things a bit, but I can't stop wondering whether the Twins will make any major changes upon moving to Target Field next year. I've been itchin' to buy an authentic home jersey, but part of me wants to wait a year to see if do anything new next year.

Anyway, I still think that Dome patch is one of the best I've seen. And for having two patches on one sleeve, it doesn't at all seem cluttered to me.

I think the Twins will introduce revolutionary new uniforms for the new field next year, it will be the first ever on field baseball full body ski suit because playing baseball outdoors in Minnesota is a good idea for about 2 months out of the season, other than that it is absolutely insane.

I think the Twins will introduce revolutionary new uniforms for the new field next year, it will be the first ever on field baseball full body ski suit because playing baseball outdoors in Minnesota is a good idea for about 2 months out of the season, other than that it is absolutely insane.

I don't understand all the fuss. I grew up in Minnesota and sure, it's still cold in the spring and getting colder in the fall. (Summers, by the way, are gorgeous -- if you ignore the mosquitoes.)

You deal with it. Put on some long sleeves, wear some ear muffs and go hit the baseball. (Hell, I recall shooting hoops outside in January, just because.)

I never recall Harmon Killebrew complaining about the weather and I'm sure the current core of superstars ? Mauer (a Minnesota native) and Morneau (a Canadian) ? won't complain about it either.

I've seen some rumors about uniform changes in 2010. We'll see. I can't imagine they'd be a complete overhaul. Maybe an alternate or something?

Because what the Twins really need is an alternate uniform.

The Twins might have the greatest gap between the high quality of their uniform elements -- scripts, cap logos, basic uniform appearance -- and the utter crappitude of their uniform set taken as a whole of any team in professional sports. Part of me prays that they have an overhaul of simplification (plus a fixing of the TC logo). But mostly, I just dread what the crew of uniform-destroyers the Twins seem to employ would do to ruin the uniforms even further if given a broader mandate for change than their normal annual game of "find one isolated element and make it worse."

A much smaller part of me secretly hopes the Twins throw everything out the window and develop entirely new uniforms with a blue-and-green color scheme for 2010 to symbolized the return to playing on natural grass under the open sky, with new marks for every element, from the caps to the jerseys to the logo. It'll never happen, but if they were to make major changes, that's what I'd like to see.

20082614447.png

I'll agree that green and blue are great northern colors -- just like they work well for the Pacific Northwest. I'm not such a traditionalist that I believe a team should stick to the same design in which they won a world series, but I do believe they should at least keep the same color scheme. The Twins in any color but red and blue wouldn't be the Twins. Not to me, anyway.

I'll agree that green and blue are great northern colors -- just like they work well for the Pacific Northwest. I'm not such a traditionalist that I believe a team should stick to the same design in which they won a world series, but I do believe they should at least keep the same color scheme. The Twins in any color but red and blue wouldn't be the Twins. Not to me, anyway.

I'm with you, but I've also been around long enough to know that we'd get over it. Fast. If the Twins announced a color change for 2010 today, all of us Twins fans would whine and moan like they'd just outlawed puppies and voting, but the truth is that we'd all be wearing the new colors by May next year and we both know it. This is kind of a baseball thing; since the dominant color of any baseball uniform is white, fan loyalty to any "team colors" are pretty elastic. More for some clubs than for others -- the Yankees, having only one color, are pretty locked in -- but if there is a list of teams whose fans will not quickly adapt to a color change, the Twins are very, very far from that list.

But it's all academic, since it'll never happen. The Twins don't have the guts to do it, and if they did, they don't have the competence to do it well.

20082614447.png

I don't get the "Minnesota's too cold" thing. People go to football games shirtless in colder weather than April in Minnesota. Also, people can layer. ALSO, they're Minnesotans; when you're coming off monthafter month of subzero wind chills and feet of snow, 45 degrees isn't so bad. ALSO, baseball can further assuage concerns by making sure that the Twins play a lot of April games on the road, while warm-weather and domed teams host more games in cooler months,making better use of each city's strengths and weaknesses.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I posted this on another site, but will paste here as well:

Average high in April in Boston: 56

Average high in April in Minneapolis: 57

Average high in April in Cleveland: 58

Average high in April in Detroit: 58

Average high in April in Chicago: 59

Average high in April in New York: 61

Hmm... Minneapolis isn't even the coldest MLB city without a retractable roof... How about that... :rolleyes:

Moose

Hmm... Minneapolis isn't even the coldest MLB city without a retractable roof... How about that... :rolleyes:

Moose

That's a good point. I never thought the weather was a big issue anyway. I would worry slightly if the Twins make the World Series, but I was worried about the same thing when the Rockies made it. (I was at games 3 and 4 of the NLCS) The weather was lousy in game 3 but we had hot chocolate ;) But game 4 was beautiful. So if Colorado can make it in October, I don't see why the Twins would have an issue.

I don't get the "Minnesota's too cold" thing. People go to football games shirtless in colder weather than April in Minnesota. Also, people can layer. ALSO, they're Minnesotans; when you're coming off monthafter month of subzero wind chills and feet of snow, 45 degrees isn't so bad. ALSO, baseball can further assuage concerns by making sure that the Twins play a lot of April games on the road, while warm-weather and domed teams host more games in cooler months,making better use of each city's strengths and weaknesses.

You're right 45 isn't that bad, but it's not always 45, sometimes it's 70, sometimes it's 30 and snowing. I've had a Brewers game snowed out on my birthday before (it's in mid-April), and I've also gone to one in which it was 40 or so and drizzling. Could baseball schedule more April games in warm-weather and dome-stadium cities? Sure, but they haven't proven themselves to be that competent. It's one thing if a hurricane shows up and a game has to be moved, but people should be aware that it snows in April in many northern cities. Also, football game don't get rained / snowed out, but baseball games do.

Moose

Those are averages. Weather in the Upper Midwest has extreme fluctuations, so it could easily be 30 and snowing one day, and 65 and sunny three days later.

Moose

Not to mention this time period known as 1961 to 1980 when they played outdoors.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Moose

Those are averages. Weather in the Upper Midwest has extreme fluctuations, so it could easily be 30 and snowing one day, and 65 and sunny three days later.

Um, that's why I said, "average high..." Note that I live in Bemidji, MN (four hours north of the Twin Cities). I think I know what the weather here is like...

Anyway, the Cubs, Indians and Tigers have each had games snowed out in the last three or four Aprils. They've also had games played in 80 degrees in the last few Aprils. Which make the news? The three or four games that get snowed out... The point I was making is that Minneapolis is no worse than any other northern city. In the long run, the benefits of outdoor baseball (that 99% of all games will be played in decent to great weather) far outweigh the negatives of domed, or even retractable roof ballparks (which I don't like, because they still feel like roofed stadiums, even with an open roof).

Moose

Moose

Um, that's why I said, "average high..." Note that I live in Bemidji, MN (four hours north of the Twin Cities). I think I know what the weather here is like...

Anyway, the Cubs, Indians and Tigers have each had games snowed out in the last three or four Aprils. They've also had games played in 80 degrees in the last few Aprils. Which make the news? The three or four games that get snowed out... The point I was making is that Minneapolis is no worse than any other northern city. In the long run, the benefits of outdoor baseball (that 99% of all games will be played in decent to great weather) far outweigh the negatives of domed, or even retractable roof ballparks (which I don't like, because they still feel like roofed stadiums, even with an open roof).

Moose

I'll give you one thing, the benefits of playing anywhere other than the Metrodome far outweigh the positives of playing in the Metrodome. I get that you are saying it's not worse than other northern cities, but northern cities shouldn't necessarily be hosting baseball in the first two weeks of the season.

I know I have said this a couple of times in the past, but I'll say what I have heard. About 3 years ago just after the new stadium was anouned, I got to talk to Twins' President Dave St. Peter at the Twins Winter Caravan in Fargo. I asked him about the unis, and he said they had talked about it, but at that time they were feeling that the unis were becoming classics and there may be no reason to change. Of course, this can change. Just sayin' what I was told.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I know I have said this a couple of times in the past, but I'll say what I have heard. About 3 years ago just after the new stadium was anouned, I got to talk to Twins' President Dave St. Peter at the Twins Winter Caravan in Fargo. I asked him about the unis, and he said they had talked about it, but at that time they were feeling that the unis were becoming classics and there may be no reason to change. Of course, this can change. Just sayin' what I was told.

Well, you and I know that Dave St. Peter can be trusted. He was educated at a top-notch university. ^_^

Archived