New NHL Fonts Now Available!

eriqjaffe

I finished a set of updated NHL fonts for y'all. Here's a few samples:

ottawa.png

nyroutline.png

colorado.png

The link is in my sig - at the moment, they're hosted directly on the Geocities site, so if there are bandwidth problems, try again later.

Some of these will duplicate the existing NHL fonts, so just go ahead and use whichever you want. On the whole, the new ones are considerably cleaner, so I'd recommend using those where they overlap.

Thanks to AsM2931 for providing sources.

Enjoy!

These look great, but the kerning seems awfully odd in Photoshop. Anyone else notice this? I had to take it down to -200 for it to look right.

EDIT: Word, too.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

These look great, but the kerning seems awfully odd in Photoshop. Anyone else notice this? I had to take it down to -200 for it to look right.

EDIT: Word, too.

Yes, the kerning is out of whack. I no longer have my old Win98 system, and Fontographer just crashes on XP. I'm making these using FontForge, which crashes when I try to kern pairs. Whee!

Will I lose the old Capitals font if I download the new fonts, or will I have both Caps fonts?

Looking at the filenames, I'm going to say no.

Edit: Just installed them, and the old Caps font will indeed stay intact.

IeHVybT.png

The Avalanche numbers are close, but not quite correct. The 2, 3, 6, 7, 9 are just a tad thin, plus the 7 is lacking the serif at the top. This isn't uncommon for the Avs...the Bourque retirement banner uses the wrong font as well.

Here's an accurate look at the 7's: 33-96990-F.jpg

Here's the retirement banner: mini-DSC03306.jpg

And a decent picture of the 3 (on the sleeve), take a look at how far the bottom curves around. md_7400163%20Patrick%20Roy.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Avalanche numbers are close, but not quite correct. The 2, 3, 6, 7, 9 are just a tad thin, plus the 7 is lacking the serif at the top. This isn't uncommon for the Avs...the Bourque retirement banner uses the wrong font as well.

Here's an accurate look at the 7's: 33-96990-F.jpg

Here's the retirement banner: mini-DSC03306.jpg

And a decent picture of the 3 (on the sleeve), take a look at how far the bottom curves around. md_7400163%20Patrick%20Roy.jpg

The AVS really need to go back to those old sweaters.

They can't.

They could if they wanted to. The RBK "it doesn't fit the template" excuse has been since debunked.

Where did you hear this?

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

They can't.

They could if they wanted to. The RBK "it doesn't fit the template" excuse has been since debunked.

Where did you hear this?

It's been debunked over and over, even by RBK themselves. Multiple times, multiple articles. Like two years ago. They backed off their "it had to change" statement to say they meant that this was a "good opportunity for change." Owners said they felt mislead, but none of them have changed back. Yet.

I am aware that the 7 still has the notch. The files used for these fonts came from the NHL's official font file, so the error was made by the NHL.

That's fine, I was just checking myself, since the other examples were from over 4 years ago and thought I'd pass it along.

Eriq, you've done a great job with these. Thanks so much.

I do have a gripe about the NHL's source materials, though. The Bruins' number font is never represented properly by the league. The Bruins should have the exact same numbers as St. Louis, except with the angled 2 and no "foot" at the bottom of the 4 (although they have used that in the past).

You can see here that the 1's, 5's, and 7's all have slight differences and overall the Bruins' numbers are a little bit too wide.

3325646537_b22fec5a09_o.jpg

Here are a couple of game worn Edge jerseys showing the proper 5 and the proper 7, which are the same as the Blues'.

2502635760098452670S500x500Q85.jpg2051079270098452670S500x500Q85.jpg

Archived