Nike Pro Combat

Derby

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy hyperbole Batman! :wacko:

To read it, you'd think Nike just saved college basketball players from the apolcalypse.

Imagine all those poor schmucks who used to have to play without Nike's "basketball-specific protective padding".

Aeromesh_237_205.jpg

Gonzaga, Mich. State, Duke, Memphis, & Oregon...one of these teams is not like the other.

I know they are Nike's favorite son, but they won't be playing any extra ball with their 8-22 record...not even Nike can get them in the tourney.

A quick search on the old internet led me to this...apparently these are a base layer, not new unis.

nike-pro-combat.jpg

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

What the what?

Listen, I like the SOD look solely because I think it would feel good to play in. So the uniform cut is okay with me. The padded crap only bothers me because they have everybody wearing the same sleeve on the same arm. It looks like they are trying to make that a part of the uniform, which it certainly shouldn't be. The "Aerographic" thing is what really bothers me. If you are doing something just to prove that you can, don't you know that it is just a fad? This idea will never last. If one school wanted it, say Duke, and they made a design just for them that would be fine. I haven't seen all these Aerographic designs, but they certainly seem very forced. Also, when they make these designs, aren't they making portions of the jersey mesh-like thus making the jerseys "31% lighter" or whatever they said? Why not make the whole jersey that material and cut down the weight even more? I just hope that all this experimentation eventually leads to a "perfect" basic jersey design. One that is lightweight, not a color-by-section template, comfortable, maybe padded a little bit, and good looking. You have to try things out to arrive at something that works. I just hope these are stepping stones to a greater product.

"Outfitting teams for battle"...

"Pro Combat"...

...Remember after 9-11, when everybody talked about dropping war metaphors and terminology from sports? That was a refreshing few weeks.

I wish it was still like this. We have soldiers over-seas fighting for their lives every-day and dieing, yet these so-called "warriors" are going out on a basketball court doing "battle?" Pathetic, my fan ship for Nike just took another hit, pathetic.

Is is just me or is the shirt too tight and the pants too wide off the leg? It looks like in the sportscenter highlights where the NBA players take off their jersey tops to reveal their tight undershirts. Something looks really weird about them.

And pads in basketball?

~?~

I saw Oregon's in action as they wore them versus Oregon State, and Duke has worn theirs already too. These jerseys are the ones with a weird ass pattern in the back. Oregon's looked like the rafters at Mac Court and I could see an O, I didn't have my camera or I would've taken a picture since I sat behind the bench. Duke's has been discussed already, it has a chapel or something on the back. Personally I like Oregon's because that ghost font is no longer there. However yes we won't be making the tournament, other than the Pac-10, but oh well we're Oregon.

I think Gonzaga might be wearing their's already because in their game last night I noticed a pattern on the backs of their jerseys, like Duke had.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

If they're gonna have padding, then why on one arm? These jerseys are supposed to be preparing the players for combat, but why is only one arm protected. That would look very odd on the court, with everybody matching. Did they say every player would be wearing matching hyperdunks too? That is a little over the top. If these replace SoD then I will be very angry. Nike is trying to do a little too much with changing the game of basketball. I don't know if they're implying that all jerseys will be like this in the future, but that's kinda what it sounds like to me.

They look like they're wearing skirts.

It's not a skirt....It's a kilt! :D

And yeah, if you squint, then all the shorts kinda look like skirts.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Archived