NCAA Tournament Floors

fufkin

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides being ugly designs (blue print on black), the generic floors take away all of the local color. These games might as well be played in a warehouse.

Re the TV timeouts: They could get rid of two of those timeouts by going ahead to the past and (like high school and the NBA) go back to four (10-minute) quarters.

Packers-2.png

I can understand why the NCAA stages the Final Four in domes. The revenue is probably much more than it would be at a typical arena and it also makes those games feel like more than just another game.

However, that doesn't mean that once every five years they can't put the event in a basketball arena. I mean, who wouldn't love to see a Final Four at Madison Square Garden?

But yeah, these regionals need to be moved. They don't necessarily need to be on-campus, but at least in basketball arenas.

The Final Four will never be at MSG because of the NIT,

They need to get rid of the elevated courts becuse eventually a lawsiut is waiting to happen because some is going to get killed if one flies off of the elevated court and onto the base floor

maybe go back to the sectioned parts where it id in the endzone or on the sideline corner

hou07.jpg

alamodome2.jpg

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

if they really wanted to have the final four at msg, the nit wouldn't matter because it's the nit.

what I meant to say is the NIT, NYC and MSG has an ongoing tradition for so many years earlier, before March madness was on the map the NIT was the big thing instead the NCAA's

The facilities at MSG are not up to NCAA standards, what I meant to say Myles Brand ( the guy who fired Bobby Knight at IU) standards.

plus the NCAA prefers domed stadiums in an effort to generate more bread and pack fans no matter what the views in the building are obstructive or not.

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Watching the NCAA D-I Men's Hockey tournament, I noticed that there are similar generic rinks in use. The game I saw was in Minneapolis, which just had the NCAA hockey player silhouette in the center, a couple of NCAA logos and Univ of Minnesota logos, and NCAA wordmarks behind the nets. The boards had the four participating school names in blue rectangles with white letters (same font as used on the basketball floors), plus some small NCAA and UofM logos. Bleh!

The ice itself was neutral, but all of the glorious maroon and gold banners were hung in their rightful place in Mariucci's rafters. In person, there was no mistaking whose home arena it was.

According to the CBS announcers the NCAA made the TD Banknorth Garden to take down the Celtics and Bruins banners. All to make these places more neutral.

Did they have to do this at other sites?

Are they going to take the Lions banners down at Ford Field?

Here's an article from Mike Vega of the Boston Globe on the floor/banners...

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens...r_the_strategy/

Mark Blaudschun in the Globe also referenced the fact that the banners for the Celtics and Bruins were taken down.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens...t_for_the_eyes/

That's just silly as far as i'm concerned.

I mean at least have the floor in Boston be parquet for tradition!!!

I know BC wants to host the Regionals for the CWS in the near future at Fenway - are they going to make the Red Sox cover the ads on the Monster? (Probably). Are they going to make them put a big drape over the Citgo sign? That's not even IN Fenway Park.

Sometimes the NCAA needs to get over itself.

if they really wanted to have the final four at msg, the nit wouldn't matter because it's the nit.

what I meant to say is the NIT, NYC and MSG has an ongoing tradition for so many years earlier, before March madness was on the map the NIT was the big thing instead the NCAA's

The facilities at MSG are not up to NCAA standards, what I meant to say Myles Brand ( the guy who fired Bobby Knight at IU) standards.

plus the NCAA prefers domed stadiums in an effort to generate more bread and pack fans no matter what the views in the building are obstructive or not.

The NCAA owns the NIT, that's not an issue.

MSG has stated they want to host the NCAA's first and second round, or even a regional. I think it would be a big hit.

Has ZERO to do with the facilities. The Worcester Centrum and the Providence Civic Center host the first and second rounds. MSG is a fine facility for anything but the Final Four.

There's one small problem - the Knicks and Rangers already have to abandon MSG for a week when the Big East tournament is in town. You'd be kicking them out for another 4-5 days if you host the First and Second round the week after the Big East.

The NCAA wants to have at least 30,000 seats for a Final Four, that's their model right now. The last Final Four in a "smaller" arena was in 1996 when the FF was at the Meadowlands.

According to the CBS announcers the NCAA made the TD Banknorth Garden to take down the Celtics and Bruins banners. All to make these places more neutral.

Did they have to do this at other sites?

Are they going to take the Lions banners down at Ford Field?

Here's an article from Mike Vega of the Boston Globe on the floor/banners...

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens...r_the_strategy/

Mark Blaudschun in the Globe also referenced the fact that the banners for the Celtics and Bruins were taken down.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens...t_for_the_eyes/

That's just silly as far as i'm concerned.

I mean at least have the floor in Boston be parquet for tradition!!!

I know BC wants to host the Regionals for the CWS in the near future at Fenway - are they going to make the Red Sox cover the ads on the Monster? (Probably). Are they going to make them put a big drape over the Citgo sign? That's not even IN Fenway Park.

Sometimes the NCAA needs to get over itself.

The NCAA also made Philadelphia take down all the banners, which caused an uproar (at least back in the Spectrum - not sure about in the Wachovia Center) because they had to take down the memorial banner dedicated to long time announcer Dave Zinkoff (of "Julius... the Doctor.... EEEEEEEEARving" fame). Many thought it was disrespectful to have to take down a banner dedicated to someone's memory.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The NCAA also made Philadelphia take down all the banners, which caused an uproar (at least back in the Spectrum - not sure about in the Wachovia Center) because they had to take down the memorial banner dedicated to long time announcer Dave Zinkoff (of "Julius... the Doctor.... EEEEEEEEARving" fame). Many thought it was disrespectful to have to take down a banner dedicated to someone's memory.

You're kidding me? What is Zinkoff promoting?

Look, I understand that the folks who sponsor the Celtics and the Bruins shouldn't get "free" advertising from the NCAA, I can see a bit of that.

However, when they make the name sponsors of the building have to cover their name on the scoreboard (that isn't shown on TV), and take down a banner to Zinkoff? I mean the TD Banknorth Logo the NCAA required to be covered up was at the top of the center court scoreboard. Who other than the 18,000 people in the stands would see it? That I don't get.

Yet, the NCAA requires the Vitamin Water coolers to be located off of the right shoulder of the head coach.

They're whores, pure and simple.

You're kidding me? What is Zinkoff promoting?

Look, I understand that the folks who sponsor the Celtics and the Bruins shouldn't get "free" advertising from the NCAA, I can see a bit of that.

However, when they make the name sponsors of the building have to cover their name on the scoreboard (that isn't shown on TV), and take down a banner to Zinkoff? I mean the TD Banknorth Logo the NCAA required to be covered up was at the top of the center court scoreboard. Who other than the 18,000 people in the stands would see it? That I don't get.

Yet, the NCAA requires the Vitamin Water coolers to be located off of the right shoulder of the head coach.

They're whores, pure and simple.

None of the banners (at least in Phila.) have any sponsors on them - just team logos.

retired_zinkoff.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The NCAA owns the NIT, that's not an issue.

MSG has stated they want to host the NCAA's first and second round, or even a regional. I think it would be a big hit.

Has ZERO to do with the facilities. The Worcester Centrum and the Providence Civic Center host the first and second rounds. MSG is a fine facility for anything but the Final Four.

There's one small problem - the Knicks and Rangers already have to abandon MSG for a week when the Big East tournament is in town. You'd be kicking them out for another 4-5 days if you host the First and Second round the week after the Big East.

The NCAA wants to have at least 30,000 seats for a Final Four, that's their model right now. The last Final Four in a "smaller" arena was in 1996 when the FF was at the Meadowlands.

I think thats why the NCAA, along with the NFL, was hoping that the New Meadowlands Stadium was going to have a dome, So big time events like the Final Four and the Super Bowl can take place in the New York Metropolitian Area.

I think thats why the NCAA, along with the NFL, was hoping that the New Meadowlands Stadium was going to have a dome, So big time events like the Final Four and the Super Bowl can take place in the New York Metropolitian Area.

You are correct.

Additionally, when the Patriots were considering building their new stadium in the late 1990s, in an attempt to get the idiots on Beacon Hill to realize that a multi purpose stadium in Boston was better than an open air stadium in Foxboro, both the NCAA and the NFL promised to have 2 Final Fours and one Super Bowl in the first 6 years of the Stadium. The NCAA also promised one NCAA Regional Final and a Women's Final Four.

We got the Regional Final and Women's Final Four, but they were played in the Boston Garden.

When a company pays for advertising in an arena, arent they paying for it to show during all events? If I were, for example, Geico, and I have my logo plastered on all of the section entrances at the Wachovia Center, Id be pretty pissed if the NCAA walked in and just covered up my ads, that I paid alot for, just to neutralize the court.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Basically, if your building wants to host an NCAA championship event, you forfeit your building over to them for about a week and they get to do what they want.

The banner rule has been in place for a few years. Unless the banner is associated with the host school, it has to come down or at least be rolled up. It used to be okay to simply turn the lights off behind the advertisements, but that isn't good enough anymore. They now need to be completely covered. That even includes the advertisements in the concourses and even the ads affixed to the outside of the building. When I went to the Final Four in St. Louis, the ads affixed to the outside of the building were completely covered other than the sign for the Edward Jones Dome.

Food is another interesting tidbit at an NCAA event. If your building serves Pepsi, it is replaced with Coke for the event. Pizza comes from Papa John's (another NCAA corporate sponsor). And, most importantly, no alcohol is sold.

Basically, if your building wants to host an NCAA championship event, you forfeit your building over to them for about a week and they get to do what they want.

The banner rule has been in place for a few years. Unless the banner is associated with the host school, it has to come down or at least be rolled up. It used to be okay to simply turn the lights off behind the advertisements, but that isn't good enough anymore. They now need to be completely covered. That even includes the advertisements in the concourses and even the ads affixed to the outside of the building. When I went to the Final Four in St. Louis, the ads affixed to the outside of the building were completely covered other than the sign for the Edward Jones Dome.

Food is another interesting tidbit at an NCAA event. If your building serves Pepsi, it is replaced with Coke for the event. Pizza comes from Papa John's (another NCAA corporate sponsor). And, most importantly, no alcohol is sold.

I have certainly purchased alcohol at Villanova games at the Wachovia center. Lots of alcohol.

I have certainly purchased alcohol at Villanova games at the Wachovia center. Lots of alcohol.

Villanova home games are different than NCAA events, alcohol was not available at the NCAA tournament games at the Wachovia Center.

n1183590582_30138015_9617.jpgiowaaaa.png

Papa John's isn't a corporate sponsor they are a "corporate champion."

I love the no alcohol being served at NCAA events since it cuts down big time on the guys who are constantly getting up and down to go get beer while the game is going on.

Villanova home games are different than NCAA events, alcohol was not available at the NCAA tournament games at the Wachovia Center.

I worked on the Host Committee for the 2006 NCAA Women's Final Four, so I'm very familiar with all of the "quirks" imposed by the NCAA. For the most part, what's been posted here is accurate.

When I worked on the committee in 2006, I showed up one day with a jacket with my university's logo (Northeastern - because we were one of the Host Schools). I was quickly given a "volunteers package" with shirts, jackets, etc. and told because of the access I had, I couldn't wear Northeastern gear because we weren't competing in the Final Four. Since I had an "all access" badge, there was a chance I'd be in the background of a tv clip or a photograph, and I had to wear the "official volunteer gear" for the Women's Final Four. I didn't mind - can't beat the cost of Free Clothes!

We also couldn't walk on the floor of the Garden with any beverage in a container other than a Dasani cup. Dasani had the "cup rights" for the floor at the time (It's not Vitamin Water), and we couldn't bring any beverage out of the "behind the scenes" area with it being in a cup.

There's a caveat to the "No Alcohol at an NCAA Event" rule, and it applies to Corporate/Skyboxes.

My firm has a box at the Boston Garden and we can buy alcohol for our box before the games. However, once we run out, we have to wait until a "Dead period" (i.e. in between sessions) to refill our liquor in our box. This rule actually changed. When Boston first hosted in 1999, we were told that we could only stock our box with alcohol before the afternoon session, and it had to last all day.

This presented a HUGE problem, as we ran out of liquor during the second game on Friday afternoon, thus leaving us without booze for the Friday night doubleheader. Well since this was Pre 9/11, and security wasn't the same as it is now we told people to bring a bottle of wine, or nips in with them so we could stock the bar.

I was told that the reason they allow the alcohol sales is that if the alcohol is "pre ordered" before the start of the NCAA event, the alcohol is not "sold" during an NCAA event.

I'm thinking it's to cater to those who pay for the skyboxes.

Archived