Bohob's MLB Redesign Project

bohob

Hello all,

I took a little break a few weeks back from my NFL Project (I needed a little break). I decided to work on some baseball uni's. I will still finish the NFL series, but I wanted to show these anyway. I believe baseball is ready for something to change drastically with uniforms. 29 of 30 teams have either red, royal, navy or black as their primary color. 29 of 30 teams have grey road jerseys (a special mention to the Marlins for having a different grey). Both will change with this project. Also, teams will have more custom uniforms, instead of just the 5 or 6 options that are currently available. Some teams will be tweaks (Cubs and Yankees come to mind), but some will be overhauls (Astros). I try to incorporate teams history when I can, so I think the blend of the "modern classic" (Sonics last unifroms, current Pistons) will shine through. I hope you enjoy the series, as I will occasionally take a break for actionizing NFL teams to work on this series, because I need a little variation.

#1: Milwaukee Brewers

I started with the Brewers because I worked on them previously. I changed the navy/royal to a "Lake Michigan Blue" and worked with gold and powder blue. I brought back the glove logo, as it should be for the Brewers. The primary home features BREWERS across the chest in a new typeface. The caps are blue with a gold button. The roads are powder blue are feature MILWAUKEE on the chest. Both dark alternates correspond to the white and powder blue counterparts. The "Sunday Alternate" (a term I made up for an alternate home jersey) features gold pinstripes, which I admit I borrowed the idea from the MLB 2029 series, but mine is different enough from that one overall. Enjoy! and the other teams in the NL Central will be up shortly.

brewers_id.jpg

brewers_home.jpg

brewers_away.jpg

brewers_bp.jpg

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am eagerly looking forward to this series. I can't wait to see how you can make the different teams more unique. You did so well with the NFL project, I expect that this will be on of the best MLB redesigns this year.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

#2: Chicago Cubs

The Cubs are one of the teams I did less with, for historical reasons. On the home primary, the only difference is that the patch is moved to the other sleeve, but the other jerseys have more change. The script on the road primary is a sans serif that resembles the Chicago Theater. The alternate jersey now has trim along the sleeves. The Sunday Alt. is a vest with the Cub-in-C logo, and a white C outlined in red on the cap.

cubs_id.jpg

cubs_home.jpg

cubs_away.jpg

cubs_bp.jpg

Milwaukee:Really nice start here. Just a few things though. Maybe lighten up the gold a little, the current color combo feels a little dull. I really don't see the need for the Alt. cap logo and the 3rd logo. This is because they are only used on the hat and look out of place when combined with the primary. If you do an alternate logo, maybe just use the M from the glove logo.

Chicago: Can't really find anything here except for maybe that the Sunday Alt looks like the Rangers with being sleeveless.

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

For the Brwewers I like the subtle tweaks to the old log that make it more modern. And I love the altenate logo. But the colors are bothering me a little. The blue seems too pale and doesn't really mesh well with the gold. It you fix the blue a little then it'll be good to go. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

jNTsTyQ.png

#3: Houston Astros

With this concept, I went back to the retro colors, which helps avoid confusion with the D'Backs. The focus is now on orange, which no other team features. The logo was rotated 72º and paired with a more space-inspired wordmark. The jerseys feature stripes down the sleeve, like back in the day. The home primary is a natural color, while the road jersey in a color I like to call butter. I realize it's a big step, but baseball is ready. San Diego started the trend, now it's time for teams to add some color. The alternate jerseys are orange, the home with a natural colored wordmark, the road says HOUSTON in butter. The Sunday Alt. is natural with a navy cap and a navy wordmark.

EDIT:

astros_id2.jpg

astros_home2.jpg

astros_away2.jpg

astros_bp2.jpg

Not feeling the Astros so much. I really don't see how there is much of a confusion between brick red and burnt orange. I think one thing that would help would be to darken the orange to provide more contrast with the yellow. I like how you thought out of the box with the pastel colored aways though.

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

#4: St.Louis Cardinals

One of my goals is too reduce the number of red/navy and navy/red teams in MLB. I accomplished this by using burgundy in place of navy for the Cards. The logo and wordmark now feature yellow accents. The home feature the birds-on-a-bat wordmark, and Stan Musial inspired striping. The home alt is red, naturally, with burgundy piping. The pants now have belt piping, like the current Braves. The roads feature a red hat with a yellow STL logo and St.Louis on the chest. The road alt features a burgundy hat and jersey. The Sunday alt. also uses the burgundy hat, while using the STL logo on the chest. I will post Pittsburgh and Cincinnati later tonight or maybe tomorrow. C&C is always appreciated.

cards_id.jpg

cards_home.jpg

cards_away.jpg

cards_bp.jpg

Not feeling the Astros so much. I really don't see how there is much of a confusion between brick red and burnt orange. I think one thing that would help would be to darken the orange to provide more contrast with the yellow. I like how you thought out of the box with the pastel colored aways though.

The D'Backs have Sedona red, black, the gold. The Astros have Brick red, Coal, and gold.

This series has amazingly great potential!

Brewers- I like the third logo a lot as well as the colors. I like their current script better, but it might not look as good on the jerseys you have.

Cubs- Solid Sunday Alt jersey, the rest is pretty much the same except for the road script.

Astros- Don't like the colors as much as their current ones, and the script is a downgrade. The logo is a huge upgrade, however.

Cardinals- Don't like the addition of maroon, but the rest of the concept is pretty solid.

Thank you for creating this great idea of a series, I might have to do something like this in the future, and I will of course mention that you thought of the idea.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Before I even type out all my thoughts on the concepts, how do 29 of 30 teams feature red, blue, or black as their primary color? Marlins, Orioles, Giants, just off the top of my head. I'll give you the Pirates being mainly black. But the Astros wouldn't be the only team featuring orange if they changed to that.

bohob, you would probably know: was that Clarendon (or a similar slab-serif) that the Brewers used on the County Stadium signage? Was this a nod to that?

EDIT: okay, maybe not what you used, but it was close:

19910815%20County%20Stadium%20-%20sign%20and%20ads.jpg

I don't know if it lends itself to jersey scripts well, but I love it for a primary logo. I would put "Brewers" curving below the glove, but that's because I'm a stick in the mud.

script on the road primary is a sans serif that resembles the Chicago Theater.

Great inspiration. Unfortunately, it's a little small on the jersey, which is what doomed the cool 1990 uniforms as well.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Before I even type out all my thoughts on the concepts, how do 29 of 30 teams feature red, blue, or black as their primary color? Marlins, Orioles, Giants, just off the top of my head. I'll give you the Pirates being mainly black. But the Astros wouldn't be the only team featuring orange if they changed to that.

The Marlins, Orioles, and Giants are primarily black, as they all have black hats. The Astros would be the only primarily orange team.

Admiral, the script you point out certinly isn't Clarendon, but yes, I used it as the script.

I absolutely love the sunday alternate for the Astros, however the other ones are a little too much orange overload. Maybe have the regular home jersey be the Sunday Alt with the blue cap with an orange A star minus Texas. And maybe for the road jerseys have more blue to accent the butter color.

I really like the Astros and the Cardinals, with small exceptions for each.

For the Astros, I don't like the jersey base colors. Both the home 'natural color' and the road 'butter' are very similar to the other colors in the scheme, and it's making the uniforms look muddy and (in the case of the road uniform) way too pastel.

For the Cardinals, I absolutely love the uniform style. It's gorgeous and looks great with the script. But I don't like the color change. I could take a little bit of yellow if you kept the navy blue. But I don't like the dark red at all, and there's too much yellow for my taste.

But all in all, pretty nice stuff.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Here's the next installment, as promised. (I had to upgrade to Photobucket Pro today)

#5: Pittsburgh Pirates

I knew I had to keep the colors fairly similar. I changed the home whites to a cream color and the roads are a darker, warmer grey. If I can't use a pastel, I will try to use an original grey on most of these. For the hats, I brought back the pillbox idea, but adapted it to the current hat style. The home and away primaries feature triple piping on the sleeves, as do the alternates. The Sunday Alt. is a yellow jersey with the triple stripe across the chest. I will post Cincinnati later this afternoon. Enjoy!

EDIT: Fixed the black.

pirates_id-1.jpg

pirates_home-1.jpg

pirates_away-1.jpg

pirates_bp-1.jpg

Brewers - Easily the worst of the NL Central (with the exception of the yet-to-be revealed Reds). As Crkraider mentioned the color combonation has a dull feel to it and is really drab. The tertiary logo makes me think of the franchise that replaced the franchise that left for Milwaukee. The use of powder blue numbers on the blue alternates isn't doing it for me either. I'd stick with basic white or at least try the gold. My biggest gripe with this set (and with many Brewer concepts) is the use of the ball-in-glove logo. Yeah, they had winning-ish baseball during that era, but it's a terrible logo. Compared to their current set, I see this is a major downgrade.

Cubs - Not much done, so not much to comment. I do like the straight "Chicago" wordmark across the chest. The Sunday vest is a miss. It's too bland. I think some blue placket piping would improve that jersey significantly.

Astros - I love where you went with this. Shifting the color scheme to orange was a bold move and I like it. I also like your color choices for the off-white road uniforms. The new primary looks really sharp all around. The only thing I'm ambivalent about is the rotated star. It gets positive points because it kinda looks like an "A" for Astros, but as a shape it kinda looks like a gateway/keyhole and is awkward. Because of that awkwardness I prefer the un roated star. The logo looks fine, but not unequivocally better.

Cardinals - I feel over-saturated by red. I think the decision to replace navy with burgandy was a poor decision. I love the placket and shoulder piping on the jersey's (especially on the roads).

Pirates - I dig what you did with the pillbox idea, especially with the triple-striped sleeves. The pillbox alternate is a very interesting idea, but I think it works. I feel this set is on par with the Astros set.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I don't have time to nitpick and break down every team done so far, but I would just like to say that I love this project so far. I like the idea behind it and the execution is great. The creativity is amazing. I wish a change like this would sweep over the Major Leagues. Something I found interesting is how some of the teams have an old school feel to them but their jerseys are modern for the MLB. It's really a crazy idea that making a team more modern can make them feel more old school. It's brilliant. "Modern classic" is the perfect term. Also, I like how you used Burgundy, Red, and Yellow for the Cards. I did that on an Atlanta Hawks concept a while ago.

Favorite team so far: Houston Astros. That is just sexy.

Keep up the good work.

Archived