dcs

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...if your school ripped off the Eagles, I'm not quite sure you have the moral high ground in pressing the "rip off" case.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

For the record, no resemblance. Now do you realize how pointless it was to post the Eagles' logo? Strong ignorance in this thread.

jkgf14.jpg

There's as much resemblance to the Eagles as there is to the "offending" school's logo.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

For the record, no resemblance. Now do you realize how pointless it was to post the Eagles' logo? Strong ignorance in this thread.

jkgf14.jpg

There's as much resemblance to the Eagles as there is to the "offending" school's logo.

You can't be serious.

I'm quite.

/The schools aren't in the same state, either.

Today, we are all otaku.

I don't think it's a ripoff. Yes they are similar, but when you are dealing with a very common mascot, such as a bird, I think that it's reasonable to assume that two different people might have a similar idea. The first logo shown is really well done but I can't say that it is a completely original concept. There are a lot of birds out there that look similar to this. It's very possible that this is just a coincidence. I think you would have a very hard time proving otherwise in court.

I don't think it's a ripoff. Yes they are similar, but when you are dealing with a very common mascot, such as a bird, I think that it's reasonable to assume that two different people might have a similar idea. The first logo shown is really well done but I can't say that it is a completely original concept. There are a lot of birds out there that look similar to this. It's very possible that this is just a coincidence. I think you would have a very hard time proving otherwise in court.

The scheme is not original, no. But the concept and execution is unquestionably original, which can't be said for the other logo. A perfect example is the beak. If you take off the "nostril" part on the original and the shading, the beak shapes would be identical. I'm having a hard time believing some people can't see this.

Now that a link to the tutorial has been provided, my thought is that the creator of the logo in question used this tutorial image as a guide. Is the infringement actionable? Most of it is different and it is possible to claim it is a coincidence. IMO the school probably has a good shot at winning if they were to sue.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Now that a link to the tutorial has been provided, my thought is that the creator of the logo in question used this tutorial image as a guide. Is the infringement actionable? Most of it is different and it is possible to claim it is a coincidence. IMO the school probably has a good shot at winning if they were to sue.

From what I understand, he's not arguing how different it is, but how it was derived.

Understood. However, if the Volcano Vista school's designer contends that it is a coincidence, then a judge will have to determine overall similarity to assist in his judgment.

Something that crossed my mind is that both schools started just a few years ago. It would be interesting to see if Volcano Vista claims they had their logo first.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

If USC can sue South Carolina, then this high school can sue that high school. My question is who cares? The original artist posted a tutorial online showing how to make this logo. You'd think he wanted other people to use it!!!

As long as the second school didn't pay a ton and expect a very original logo in return, I don't think anyone needs to get their panties in a bunch. If they did pay a ton, they should be pissed. Any kid in their school coulda watched that tutorial and made it for them for free!

If USC can sue South Carolina, then this high school can sue that high school. My question is who cares? The original artist posted a tutorial online showing how to make this logo. You'd think he wanted other people to use it!!!

As long as the second school didn't pay a ton and expect a very original logo in return, I don't think anyone needs to get their panties in a bunch. If they did pay a ton, they should be pissed. Any kid in their school coulda watched that tutorial and made it for them for free!

The tutorial is actually about how to create vector images "Soaring Vectors" was the title, I think. Von Glitschka has all kinds of great tutorials on his website. He obviously doesn't want people to copy and use his logos (that he already made for other clients).

If you notice in one of the earlier posts I mentioned the school that designed the VVHS logo pulled their website off the Internet since I questioned them. That was just since a few days ago. That logo is on their basketball court, uniforms, letterheads, etc., so if they have to get rid of it, someone is going to be in deep trouble.

And no one wants to mention the comparison pictures I put up. Some people say the images don't look close enough alike, but no one says why. Throw me a bone; this is fun. lol

EDIT: I should add there are some details I'm not sharing in case this does go to court. This thread may even have to get deleted eventually. I checked with Mr. Glitschka to make sure, but I haven't heard back from him.

My, aren't we feeling self-important today. Do you want a cookie?

EDIT-They probably pulled it because you presumably screamed "I'm gonna sue" repeatedly in the email and felt it wasn't worth the court hassle of dealing with irrational self-important people who aren't even the rights holder of the logo.

Today, we are all otaku.

My, aren't we feeling self-important today. Do you want a cookie?

EDIT-They probably pulled it because you presumably screamed "I'm gonna sue" repeatedly in the email and felt it wasn't worth the court hassle of dealing with irrational self-important people who aren't even the rights holder of the logo.

Wow. Do you have some kind of problem? That was totally uncalled for. (BTW, you can't scream in an email, you silly goose).

I have a question. Who exactly is suing? Von Glitschka may have designed it, but this is up to the school to take action. That is, if they have some odd agreement leaving ownership rights with Von Glitschka.

shysters_sm.jpg

Archived