Baltimore Sun Orioles Cartoon

leopard88

In news that will make many old school Orioles fans happy, this little guy is returning to the paper after a 17-year absence --

baltimore-sun-os-bird-cartoon_46005932.jpg

From 1966 to 1992, with some gaps in between, cartoons featuring the bird were on the front page of each morning's edition of The Sun telling whether the Orioles won or lost. I know I'm not the only person who loved them.

The full article --

Seventeen years after he flew the coop, the Oriole bird has returned to The Baltimore Sun.

Starting Tuesday, the whimsical cartoon - a stamp-sized favorite of Sun readers during the team's heyday 40 years ago - will regularly grace the sports pages.

"Hopefully, in that one inch of space, this classic little Oriole can capture the essence of last night's game," said Mike Ricigliano, the cartoonist who will draw it. Ricigliano's oddball work has appeared in The Sun (and, previously, The Evening Sun) for more than 20 years.

The original caricature first appeared in the paper in June 1966, during the Orioles' championship season, and quickly became a beacon for readers "who looked for it as eagerly as they did the daily weather forecast," The Sun once wrote.

Created by the late Jim Hartzell, a longtime staff artist, the bird caught on quickly. When Hartzell retired in 1979, his cartoon friend went with him. When readers complained, the paper resurrected the bird, employing a number of artists to draw him. By 1992, the Oriole was gone.

Until now.

"The Oriole bird cartoon represents a memorable time in the history of Baltimore, the Orioles and The Baltimore Sun," said Tim Wheatley, assistant managing editor for sports. "It symbolizes Baltimore's sense of humor, love of sports and optimism. The new cartoon continues that feeling of fun and hope.

"The old cartoon was something that readers looked forward to every day because each one was unique, and we think the new [one] will have the same effect."

Hartzell, who died in 2003, would embrace the Oriole bird's revival, said his daughter, Marylyn Vogt of Westport, Conn.

"That cartoon was his pride and joy," she said. "Now it's coming back? He'd get a really big laugh out of that one."

Baltimore Sun

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I love that guy. The same artist drew both . . . in case that isn't apparent.

I found this on the web.

DSC02251.JPG

I also see other images of the so-called Hartzell Bird from time to time. I could swear there are a few around Camden Yards, but I can't remember where.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

I also see other images of the so-called Hartzell Bird from time to time. I could swear there are a few around Camden Yards, but I can't remember where.

So essentially, you could tell if the O's won based on the bird's expression? If so, that is a really cool tradition being resurrected. :D

Yeah, but not only that - he used to include some detail about the opponents. I recall seeing a smiling bird posing in front of the Statue of Liberty indicating that the day before the Orioles had beaten the Yanks.

A fantastic local tradition, good to see it back.

DSC02251.JPG

See, this is why I almost wish I was an Orioles fan. If I didn't have a rooting interest and was looking for a team to support, the Birds would be my first and only choice.

So essentially, you could tell if the O's won based on the bird's expression? If so, that is a really cool tradition being resurrected. :D

The score would be listed right under the cartoon, but the expression said it all, and the cartoon was sometimes very specific to the opponent. In addition to Gothamite's example (see below), I remember cartoons where the bird would be finishing off a frosty mug after the O's beat the Brewers or dragging a kitten around by the tail after they beat the Tigers.

mascot4.gif

I would love to find a collection of them somewhere. Are you listening to me, Baltimore Sun?

The score would be listed right under the cartoon, but the expression said it all, and the cartoon was sometimes very specific to the opponent. In addition to Gothamite's example (see below), I remember cartoons where the bird would be finishing off a frosty mug after the O's beat the Brewers or dragging a kitten around by the tail after they beat the Tigers.

It's almost heartbreaking in its charm and perfection. Outstanding.

Glad to see they are bringing it back, even though I was too young to remember the last time they did it. I like the Sun' cartoonist alot, he does pretty good comics each Sunday. It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with each game. Maybe they'll continue the tradition during football season with the Ravens.

It's a great tradition but what the heck's going on in this example? Looks like he's crying 'cause his a** hurts. Was this one drawn after that 30-3 whuppin' they took a couple of years ago? B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Cool tradition coming back. On another note, is that bird squatting on a base? It appears as though he is leaving a little something behind.

I'm pretty sure he is squatting on a base. The two lines running from his bottom toward the front of the base probably depict one of the straps that they used to use to hold the bases down . . . back in the old days.

One change with the new version is that it is on the sports page. The original one was on the bottom corner of the front page, so you could see it without even having to open the paper.

I haven't been able to find an online image of today's cartoon to post. It is a picture of the bird biting an apple that has been pulled out of a basket labeled "Big Apples." The artist, Mike Ricigliano, is apparently drawing the cartoons in more of his own style instead of trying to imitate Jim Hartzell's style, so the bird doesn't look exactly the same as the old ones.

Anyone from Baltimore able to post this mornings happy Yankee beating bird? Tried to loo0k for it on the Baltimore Sun website but couldn't find anything.

I couldn't find anything either. If I get a chance, I'll try to scan the cartoon from the paper. The cartoon is only about the size of a postage stamp, so it may not translate well.

One change with the new version is that it is on the sports page. The original one was on the bottom corner of the front page, so you could see it without even having to open the paper.

What's the point of putting it on the sports page? Surely the reader will be confronted with an above-the-fold headline announcing the outcome and score anyway. This only makes sense if you put the cartoon on the front page of the news section. This is so typical of modern newspapers: Even when they get something right, they still get it wrong. Which I say as a refugee from the daily newspaper biz.

20082614447.png

What's the point of putting it on the sports page? Surely the reader will be confronted with an above-the-fold headline announcing the outcome and score anyway. This only makes sense if you put the cartoon on the front page of the news section. This is so typical of modern newspapers: Even when they get something right, they still get it wrong. Which I say as a refugee from the daily newspaper biz.

Quite true. Much of the beauty of the old version was the location. That being said, half a loaf is better than none. Meanwhile, I will continue to hope that they move it to the front page and post the image online every day.

I do know they used to do a similar thing with the Brewers and Braves in Milwaukee - the Brave/Barrel Man would dance for joy after a win, sulk (with a dark cloud over his head) after a loss, looked depressed-and-rained on, stare into the dark when there was a west coast night game and no result, and for doubleheaders, the Brave, at least, had two heads. They dropped it a few years after the Brewers moved into town.

But they didn't go as far as Baltimore apparently did with the new cartoon every day. That's great. And I hope they keep it print only!

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Archived