CCSLC Championship Ring Thread

The new cavs ring has many unprecedented design features and symbolism:

Here are some:

Top of the championship ring:

“WORLD CHAMPIONS” in 14K yellow gold. Each letter contains diamonds and the ring has a total of 216 diamonds that represent Cleveland’s phone area code and also pays tribute to their postseason mantra: #ALLin216.

Cavaliers “C” made up of custom cut dark garnet wrapping around the iconic Larry O’Brien trophy, which is also made of solid 14K yellow gold.

The black color that outlines the “C” logo represents the black sleeved jerseys the Cavs wore in Games 5 and 7.

The championship ring contains a single one carat brilliant diamond atop the trophy for Cavs’, and represents the team’s first NBA title in franchise history.

There are 100 diamonds in the background to showcase the number of Cavs playoff victories in franchise history to win a title.

To the left and right of the inner circle are 46 diamonds that represent the 46 years the team has been in existence.

The Left and Right sides of the championship ring:

The player’s jersey number in 14K yellow gold and diamond divider. The banner drops down to display the Cleveland skyline and connection between the city and the team.

Underneath the bridge is LII (52) to symbolize the end of Cleveland’s 52 year championship drought and that the curse is wisely noted as “water under the bridge.”

Below the city skyline is “CLE” in 14K yellow gold.

The player’s name in 14K yellow gold.

Winning year of 2016 with “0″ nicely replaced by the iconic NBA logo.

State of Ohio encrusted with 11 diamond to represent the number of years the team has been owned by Dan Gilbert.

Interior and bottom of the championship ring:

At the start of the Playoffs, each player was given one piece of a 16 piece puzzle that represented the number of wins necessary for a championship. When fully assembled, piece-by-piece following every victory, it would form the image of the Larry O’Brien trophy. A 14K yellow gold custom symbol depicting each players individual puzzle piece is embedded to personalize each ring.

A round black diamond is a symbol of the positive impact of the team’s sleeved black uniforms.

There are seven stones, sequenced in the order of wins and loses in the NBA finals. This is without a doubt a championship ring first! 

cavs1.jpg

cavs2.jpg

cavs3.jpg

It's a nice ring, overall.  I'd rather the NBA logo in "2016" just be a "0."

And as much as we like nods to uniforms, there's something unsettling about a stone representing those awful uniforms.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

aHR0cDovL2NvbnRlbnQuY2xlYXJjaGFubmVsLmNv

Great Grandfather's 1946 World Series Ring. He was the manager of St. Louis Cardinals in 1940s. Eddie Dyer. My uncle gave it to me for my college graduation gift. Had it for 4 years. Over 70 years old. Cardinals have been my favorite team since I was 6 because of him. - Jack 

Link: To Contest

The local radio station is running a Show and Tell contest and one of the entries is a 1946 World Series Ring. 

/edit: No, that's not me. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This Super Bowl Ring Design Was Ahead of Its Time:

This photo below reminds me how classic this 1971 Championship Ring is. It’s a great example of getting the correct amount of “bling in a ring” without going overboard.

Give credit to championship ring manufacturer Balfour. When they designed this Super Bowl ring for the Cowboys in early 1972, after their victory in Super Bowl VI, Balfour achieved the perfect balance of some bling but not too much of it.

The next bold and excitingly new design Balfour created after this ring, is the Yankees 1977 World Series ring, which broke the preverbal mold too. That World Series Ring was the first to use multiple diamonds to form a “NY” out of diamonds, instead of the usual central-diamond World Series ring, seen for many decades before.

Balfour did do a similar style ring the season before, when the Yankees lost in the 1976 World Series, but that ring, was much smaller and contained smaller diamonds.

The Super Bowl VI ring, shown below, is perhaps the first championship ring to place white diamonds and gold on the ring-top to form a background of bling. The Cowboys iconic logo is incorporated as well, to help things stand out on the championship ring. Finally, one large diamond in the center symbolizes the team’s first world championship.

As championship rings have grown huge over the last four and a half decades since this ring debuted, today’s examples are too heavy to wear comfortably. However, this Super Bowl ring, at 36 grams is magnificent and easy to wear.

cowboy4.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone want to talk about the 2005 Super Bowl and NFC championship rings?

The ring on the left is the Pittsburgh Steelers fifth Super Bowl Ring from their 2005 season.  This beautiful championship ring was designed and manufactured by Jostens in solid 14K yellow gold.  It weighs about 53 grams.

Only a year removed from the Patriots receiving the largest Super Bowl rings ever (up until then, but not anymore) the Steelers Super Bowl XL ring shown above, was much smaller than the Patriots ring and in fact was smaller than the super bowl rings that were distributed in other years both shortly before and after 2005.

The Steeler players were quite upset that their Super Bowl ring were designed so small and that led to two things:  The Steelers next Super Bowl ring, awarded in 2008 was much larger, and then two years after that, to avoid having to make a smaller AFC championship ring and go through the turbulence again, the team broke tradition and awarded diamond-studded championship watches instead of championship rings.

The team that loses the Super Bowl is recognized as a champion of their respective conference.   The Seahawks first trip to the Super Bowl didn't go well;  however they did receive the Jostens-made NFC championship ring shown above.  You'll notice their championship ring is the same reoccurring mold that championship ring maker Jostens was pumping-out during this time period.

The Seahawks championship ring weighs in at 68 grams and was made in solid 14K white gold. 

sb40c.jpg

Here's a  Closer Look At The 2016 Olympic Mens Basketball Championship Rings

Oliver, a Championship Ring Collector and Ring enthusiast friend from Canada, sent these amazing pictures.

With the additional photographs shown above, Oliver helps showcase how amazing and different these championship rings really are.

This championship ring was designed and manufactured by Baron. I had not heard much of Baron and their championship ring work until last year when they were chosen to design and manufacturer the Cleveland Cavaliers 2016 NBA championship rings.

The championship rings they crafted for the Cavs was incredible and now, thanks to these new photos, we see their amazing design skills again at work.

The first thing that jumps out at me is the detail on the sides of the championship rings (called the ring shanks). I have seen many background designs used in championship rings that have been created for now around eight decades, but the USA basketball championship rings have something new: They incorporated brick walls (with texture details) on both sides of the rings. This new feature is incredible!

Other nice touches on these championship rings include the player’s name, larger than normal, showcased going up and down on one side as opposed to across. Also of note is the font (type style) used in the wording “Rio 2016″.

The team’s undefeated record and the player number are also shown on the championship rings.

The only thing I think could have done better is some black antiquing around some of the emblems on the sides of the rings and red and blue enamel in the USA logo to make the image pop more.

Any thoughts on these rings?

olympic3.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sports-rings.com said:

Here's a  Closer Look At The 2016 Olympic Mens Basketball Championship Rings

Oliver, a Championship Ring Collector and Ring enthusiast friend from Canada, sent these amazing pictures.

With the additional photographs shown above, Oliver helps showcase how amazing and different these championship rings really are.

This championship ring was designed and manufactured by Baron. I had not heard much of Baron and their championship ring work until last year when they were chosen to design and manufacturer the Cleveland Cavaliers 2016 NBA championship rings.

The championship rings they crafted for the Cavs was incredible and now, thanks to these new photos, we see their amazing design skills again at work.

The first thing that jumps out at me is the detail on the sides of the championship rings (called the ring shanks). I have seen many background designs used in championship rings that have been created for now around eight decades, but the USA basketball championship rings have something new: They incorporated brick walls (with texture details) on both sides of the rings. This new feature is incredible!

Other nice touches on these championship rings include the player’s name, larger than normal, showcased going up and down on one side as opposed to across. Also of note is the font (type style) used in the wording “Rio 2016″.

The team’s undefeated record and the player number are also shown on the championship rings.

The only thing I think could have done better is some black antiquing around some of the emblems on the sides of the rings and red and blue enamel in the USA logo to make the image pop more.

Any thoughts on these rings?

olympic3.jpg

they are nice, except for the USA on the face. Looks like a bland, generic font. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

• 3 weeks later...

Not a whole lot of new posts as of late but I thought I would share a bit of news for all of the ring fans out there.  As we all know the Chicago Cubs won the 2016 World Series and the new Rings will be made by the Jostens ring company.   The new rings will be presented to the players before April 12 at Wrigley Field.   So after missing out on the NBA Ring Jostens rebounds and is making the newest high profile championship ring.  Cant wait to see what it looks like. 

• 2 weeks later...

With the Super Bowl only a few days away, it's time to talk Super Bowl rings again!

In Championship Rings - Patriots vs. Falcons Isn't Even Close

Let's hope the score from Super Bowl LI is closer than each team's Championship Ring count:

The photograph below visualizes a startling difference in these two teams:   The New England Patriots have been to the Super Bowl eight times and have four winning Super Bowl rings (shown top row left) and four losing Championship Rings (bottom left).  Those four losing championship rings are called AFC championship rings.

The Falcons have been to the big game only one time, a loss to the Broncos in Super Bowl XXXIII.  Their lone NFC championship ring is shown in the top row on the right.

When Super Bowl LI is over, the losing team will earn an AFC or NFC championship ring and the winning team will be awarded a Super Bowl ring.

If the Patriots win their fifth Super Bowl ring, look for a larger ring than the Super Bowl XLIX ring shown above (top row, the ring with the four huge diamonds making up four Lombardi trophies).

Should the Falcons triumph, my educated guess is that their Super Bowl ring will have a design that's around twice as large as their single ring shown above. 

In regards to my favorite ring design above, the newest Pats ring to me is just too huge and lacks design imagination.  The Super Bowl XXXIX ring, with it's football shape, to me, is magnificent and finest ring in the photo.

Any other opinions?

sb51b.jpg

Congrats to the New England Patriots for winning the Super Bowl last night.  Cant wait to see what Jostens does with the 5th Super Bowl Championship Ring.   Just released today is an updated TV commercial that ran before the football season started that shows Tom Brady going to see the doctor and he puts his 4 rings in a safety box for safe keeping.  At the same time they filmed an alternate ending and they added a 5th Ring and added the line "Roger That" as he puts the 5th ring into the box.  Clearly a dig at the NFL Commish.  It's pretty funny and all ring fans should get a kick out of it.

• Like 2

I bumped into a guy earlier who was part of the Pecos League's championship team. Nothing too spectacular, but it's the first time I've ever seen a championship ring up close, like that. I thought it was a decent design, considering it's Pecos. 

tucson_rings.jpg

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• 2 weeks later...

This is the best time of the year for fans of championship rings.

By mid March MLS Cup Champions Seattle Sounders should be receiving their new rings. Jostens has been making some large interesting rings two out of the last 3 years with Tiffany still making under sized rings for LA Galaxy, just like their small SB ring for Seahawks. 

April 12 Cubs will be receiving WS ring 104 years in making, Jostens already selected and should be able to come up with a pretty good ring. 

April through June will be also be time for various CFB championship rings and given the almost 40 Bowl games, there will be plenty of rings issued this year also. 

And Finally around June 15th Patriots 5th SB ring will be unveiled. All previous Patriots SB rings were made by Jostens and they did not disappoint. Its hard to imagine they would not go with Jostens and lets see if they can beat their own 2014 SB ring which is the largest championship ring ever made. 

As far as heaviest championship ring, the record of 165 grams will remain with Cavaliers ring for years to come.