CCSLC Championship Ring Thread

hey Sports-Rings, on the section of your website where you have images of each super bowl ring i noticed something. The '77 Cowboys ring has 2 black stars with blue gems on the face. Isn't it blue stars with 2 diamonds?

Okay, ^^^^ he's totally right^^^^^ ......now I wanna know the same thing. What gives?

Otherwise, you did an awesome job of pairing the winning and losing awards. Never seen that all in one place before. Nice job.

Okay, one other question.........have you ever seen a '72 Redskins NFC ring with a diamond in the center instead of the Indian head? Someone told me once that that was an option but I've never seen it myself or in any photos.

Thanks!

Karl

I went back and checked my records on the 1972 Redskins ring.

I have never seen a redskins ring with a center diamond, although I have only seen two real rings.

I do know that someone was making fake Red skin salesman sample rings and there is one on ebay now. the one way to tell it's fake besides it being a little smaller than a real ring is the Indian head has less detail

My gut feeling is that the Redskins did not offer a diamond option, otherwise the players would have jumped on that. Perhaps it was a fake ring, or perhaps the original owner decided to bling it up and put a diamond in it. Players have been known to modify their rings with real diamonds. I had meet HOF player Heb Adderley who showed me his Packer super bowl II ring. He and some other teammates put their jersey number in diamonds on the top of the ring. It looked really cool. Also a bunch of KC Chiefs put diamonds on their 1966 AFC ring.

Hey, thanks for replying. I don't think that person knew what they were talking about. I have NEVER seen a 72 Redskins ring with a diamond instead of an Indian. Of course I can't remember who told me this...but it was a long time ago so who cares. Just wanted to pick your brain in case it was true. I've kept an eye out for that for many years now and I've just simply never seen it. Thanks bro!

Oh, and I'm glad you have an anatomically correct Cowboys ring on your site now. All is well with the world. Hahaha!

Let me give you credit too, though, because EVERY OTHER RING on your site was correct (Winners AND losers). That's a lotta rings! Really well done, my friend.

Sincerely,

Karl

A part owner of the Green Bay Packers

Hey sports-rings, any interest in expanding your site to show NHL, NBA, and MLB rings too? I love the Super Bowl ring section. The NHL and NBA have some really nice gaudy rings that would look great with their own sections as well. Just a thought I had as maybe a project if you were bored one day lol. Great job with your site!

Hey sports-rings, any interest in expanding your site to show NHL, NBA, and MLB rings too? I love the Super Bowl ring section. The NHL and NBA have some really nice gaudy rings that would look great with their own sections as well. Just a thought I had as maybe a project if you were bored one day lol. Great job with your site!

thanks for your kind words, I appreciate it.

I love the NHL, NBA and Baseball rings, but I don't have the time to catalog and post those items. Wish I did. Not sure if you saw it, but I did do a gallery of NY baseball rings, at my site.

Two sites you may not be aware of that cover the history of rings:

http://www.worldseriesrings.net/

and the one below was an incredible compilation of so many rings, but the person (a.k.a. "The Crow") stopped updating the site many years ago. Also, he went with free web hosting so there is a lot of flash-advertisements and poorly behaved malware on the site so be careful. Here is the site (really the best site in the good old days to see every ring)...

http://thecrow2131.20m.com/

** Anyone know of any other good sites for ring news or research? **

Being a steelers fan, I really hope you find those rings. The Super Bowl XIII ring is my favorite. I can't help but ask why you want those specific rings so bad. Do you have the other 4 steelers rings?

Yes, I have the other rings. I totally agree, the XIII ring is such a cool ring! I've always wondered if the XIII ring design was influenced by the Cowboys Super Bowl XII ring. The cowboys XII was the first super bowl ring that basically made the entire top of the ring white by blanketing it with small diamonds (and larger ones to designate the two super bowl wins. No disrespect to the Cowboys, the ring picture found on the internet is not scaled to the same size as the Steelers ring. Both rings were probably very similar in size.

2439191_f260.jpgpittsburgh-steelers-1978-super-bowl-ring

Yea your right! They are the same design template. I've notice that with a lot of rings in recent years. They all kind of use the same design as previous champion teams. For example, the design the broncos used for their second ring was followed up by the rams, patriots, ravens, titans AFC, and Falcons NFC rings. The Panthers, Eagles, Seahawks, Cardinals and patriots all had pretty much the exact same conference rings too. It carries over with other sports as well. MLB Florida Marlins, NHL Chicago Blackhawks, and NBA Dallas Maverics all used very similar designs for their most recent championships. I love the look of all of those rings tho. They were simple yet flashy and big.

Yea your right! They are the same design template. I've notice that with a lot of rings in recent years. They all kind of use the same design as previous champion teams. For example, the design the broncos used for their second ring was followed up by the rams, patriots, ravens, titans AFC, and Falcons NFC rings. The Panthers, Eagles, Seahawks, Cardinals and patriots all had pretty much the exact same conference rings too. It carries over with other sports as well. MLB Florida Marlins, NHL Chicago Blackhawks, and NBA Dallas Maverics all used very similar designs for their most recent championships. I love the look of all of those rings tho. They were simple yet flashy and big.

I think you bring up great examples, not to mention how some of the college and high school rings are also copied from superbowl or other championship rings.

Here's a conspiracy theory - I have no idea if it's true or accurate so it's only conjecture: You mentioned Superbowl 33-36, 4 super bowl rings, all made by Jostens, all basically the same style and format. Perhaps Josten's became too conforming or unwilling to redesign new rings for teams. Perhaps Tampa Bay shook up the ring community and Jostens, by going with Tiffany.

You will notice that no two Tiffany rings are identical (or similar). They start from scratch with every one of their team rings. Then after shaking up Jostens, perhaps they learned their lesson because after Tiffany did the Bus XXXVII ring, Jostens made spectacular but very different, mold-breaking New England Patriots rings for Superbowl's XXXVIII and XXXIX.

Again, just a theory, but if I'm wrong that's quite a coincidence that Josten's changed up the rings so dramatically.

I think you bring up great examples, not to mention how some of the college and high school rings are also copied from superbowl or other championship rings.

Here's a conspiracy theory - I have no idea if it's true or accurate so it's only conjecture: You mentioned Superbowl 33-36, 4 super bowl rings, all made by Jostens, all basically the same style and format. Perhaps Josten's became too conforming or unwilling to redesign new rings for teams. Perhaps Tampa Bay shook up the ring community and Jostens, by going with Tiffany.

You will notice that no two Tiffany rings are identical (or similar). They start from scratch with every one of their team rings. Then after shaking up Jostens, perhaps they learned their lesson because after Tiffany did the Bus XXXVII ring, Jostens made spectacular but very different, mold-breaking New England Patriots rings for Superbowl's XXXVIII and XXXIX.

Again, just a theory, but if I'm wrong that's quite a coincidence that Josten's changed up the rings so dramatically.

You're right. now that i think about it all of those rings I mentioned as well as the cowboys and steelers rings you pictured are all made by jostens. i cant really think of any repeat pro rings in recent history by Balfor or Tiffany & Co. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that jostens makes so many rings for college, high school, pros, semi-pros each year that they get overwhelmed sometimes and just fall back on old designs to pitch to teams. Could be laziness too, or they just want their new designs to show up on multiple sports teams... who knows. interesting thought though.

P.S. I'd love to see what your complete collection looks like. how many rings do you own?

I'd love to see what your complete collection looks like. how many rings do you own?

I am lucky enough to own quite a few. Unfortunately they are kept at the bank in a bank vault. Some of the rings are displayed on my web site under the gallery sections. Every ring is shown on the site, even the AFC and NFC rings.

I also show some pretty rare presentation boxes on the site. Some of the boxes I own, others I have seen at shows and were too expensive to buy, some were sent to me by email!

Not every ring at the site is mine, some were gotten from the internet, or people sending me photos.

1975 Artis Gilmore Kentucky Colonels ABA ring is coming up for auction at Grey Flannel. It's a salesman sample. I have compared the Josten's 10k stamp inside the sample with a real, authentic 1975 Kentucky Colonels ring that sold last year at Legendary and the markings inside the sample don't look right. Buyer beware.

It was probably made by Irv Learner. I will let Rich Russert know but perhaps you can let him know too. Rich avoids my calls and seldom removes items from auction until he gets

a second or third opinion or until I post on net54baseball.com for that user group to see (that is the most active internet collecting community I have ever seen).

Rich thinks I have it out for Irv. I don't. I just hate when unsuspecting people get fake items.

I don't mind buying a replica so long as they're replica prices. To see people trying to show these items off as genuine is a little disconcerting, as thousands of dollars are being spent on something that isn't close to being that valuable...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png