Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saintsfan

Should I get an Iphone?

30 posts in this topic

I know there is a topic about Ipods going on still, but I am specifically talking about an Iphone here. I am thinking of getting one at some point quite soon. Is it worth it, or should I go for a regular mobile cell phone, and maybe get an ipod touch? I've heard mixed things about Iphones, thought I would canvas some more opinions.

If you just need a phone, I'd say no. If you want a phone plus an entertainment device, then absolutely.

I'm having the same thoughts about getting the iPhone as well, cause I'm looking for a new phone.

I'm an Apple fan (and former Apple employee), so there's a little fanboy in me just screaming "GET IT!" That's why when I got my big promotion last month the first thing I told myself is that I want to get the iPhone.

But... the more and more I thought about it... and I ended up passing on it when I got my first paycheck last week. I'm really happy with my iPod nano & Nintendo DS... so as much as I want the iPhone, I know I really am not going to use it for music & games. I'm also not huge on the expensive plans that Rogers has to get it legally here in Canada... so pretty much everything except the fanboy in me is saying no.

I'm very happy with my setup of iPod Touch in one pocket and my Razr in the other.

I as well have an Ipod Touch and a Samsung Behold and glad with both.

Honestly I don't use my iPhone for the iPod function. For me My iPhone is amazing because I need to be connected with my email at all times, its a perfect maps/GPS tool, its a perfect email writing tool, the internet on it is great for what I do and its all in all the best phone I could ask for. The only problems I have for it are so small that it doesn't make any sense to complain about them when I have such a great piece of technology at my fingers.

I have my own iPod that I use, and I don't really play games on the go, that's why I have an xbox at home. So Yes get one if you need certain features a regular cell phone can't do. For myself it seems like the iPhone was made as the Actor's personal assistant.

Hmmm part of me thinks that the cell phone + ipod touch might be the way to go long term. But on the other hand I can see some advantages of having an iphone as a kind of blackberry with maybe a few extra entertainment features on the go. I do have an ipod nano at the moment, but its getting a bit worn out, (its a couple of years old) so the idea of replacing the cell phone and ipod in one go is quite tempting.

It's gonna cost you about 350 up front, plus accessories, then about another 100/month after that. If that works for your budget, I'd say get one. I don't know anyone who isn't extremely happy with theirs. A couple of them are downright addicted to the thing.

Everyone I've ever talked to has said one thing about the iPhone that convinces me it's worth it. They've all said that they never need another phone again. That and it has pandora.

I've played with the iPhone. If it were on Verizon, I would probably buy it.

The only thing that would keep me from wanting it -- and I would probably get over it -- is that it uses iTunes (right?). Otherwise, yep, awesome piece of technology.

It's gonna cost you about 350 up front, plus accessories, then about another 100/month after that. If that works for your budget, I'd say get one. I don't know anyone who isn't extremely happy with theirs. A couple of them are downright addicted to the thing.

Its better value in the UK, certainly if your prepared for a 24 month contract. I get the feeling some of the people I know who bitch about it have apple envy.

I love mine. I really don't use it as a phone much, but I like just about everything about it. It's become my primary web access. In fact, i'm using it right now.

Coming back to this, I felt like I needed a better reply that posting from my phone simply wouldn't be practical for.

There are a number of great things about the iphone, and a few that need improvement. Overall, though, I love mine. I use it mostly for mobile web access and checking my email. I rarely make calls with it. If you're a heavy phone user, you might want something else. If you like to stay connected through other channels, it's a good tool.

It was fairly easy to sync the calendar app with my google calendar (and since it's not my work phone, it was easy to create a backdoor copy of work calendar by inviting my gmail account to all of my meetings. )

The map tool - I used the map on the first iphone and wasn't impressed, but it works much better on the 3G. Which leads to...

GPS, and the apps the use it. Cool stuff there.

WiFi -

Tons of cheap, and free applications. Some are stupid, but I've found several that are pretty useful or nice to have.

The screen is huge

Needs improvement:

The sound quality when using it as a phone. Calls come across rather tinny and the speakerphone isn't loud enough.

WiFi connectivity - in some places, I can pick up open WiFi, but then can't connect to anything. I assume it's because the wifi networks are configured for laptops and even though the signal isn't secure, you still have to log in through a web page to begin. The iphone doesn't prompt for that, it just says you're connected.

Wish list for future versions:

A better camera. For as much as the iphone does, the camera is 2 generations behind other phones.

Built in video recorder. As far as I know, there isn't an app for that. Even if there was, see camera issue above.

Copy & paste, particularly across applications (yeah, I know it's coming, but I'll believe it when I see it)

I've had mine for almost a year, and I can't remember life with my crappy Nokia flip phone. I friggin' love this thing.

I signed up without the 3G data plan and disabled all 3G data usage, so it didn't increase my monthly costs at all. I'm in an area with WiFi about 95% of the time at work and home, so the extra $30/month to get data/web surfing on the go just wasn't worth it to me. Now some people say getting the iPhone with no data is like getting a Ferrari and not driving it over 50mph. But to me, it was basically combining a need to get rid of my crappy phone and outdated iPod into one slick device. Plus I use it as my day planner (iCal), remote control, video player, camera, driving directions, game device and...oh yeah, its pretty good at making phone calls too.

my ONLY dislike with it is the battery life.

I've had mine for almost a year, and I can't remember life with my crappy Nokia flip phone. I friggin' love this thing.

I signed up without the 3G data plan and disabled all 3G data usage, so it didn't increase my monthly costs at all. I'm in an area with WiFi about 95% of the time at work and home, so the extra $30/month to get data/web surfing on the go just wasn't worth it to me. Now some people say getting the iPhone with no data is like getting a Ferrari and not driving it over 50mph. But to me, it was basically combining a need to get rid of my crappy phone and outdated iPod into one slick device. Plus I use it as my day planner (iCal), remote control, video player, camera, driving directions, game device and...oh yeah, its pretty good at making phone calls too.

my ONLY dislike with it is the battery life.

Yeah, I have to keep chargers everywhere. Home, car and in my office.

Ok so my Blackberry is losing it's fight with time and it looks like I'm gonna need a new phone. I thought the iPhone was ridiculous because of the excess in the bill, but considering I already pay for an unlimited data plan and unlimited text, the plan isn't too over the top expensive. I also just noticed that AT&T is offering refurbished 16g iPhones for $150. Anyone else ever owned a refurbished, well, anything? I wouldn't be getting an inferior/heavily used product, would I?

If you already have Verizon, get the Voyager. I just got a new one and it has many of the same features as the iPhone while costing only $130 after rebate.

I had verizon for a while, but I needed the iPhone so I made the switch to AT&T. Not one part of me regrets it, I'm completely addicted to the thing. I'm on it every hour, doing anything and everything. Checking mail, ESPN, even the CCSLC. Anytime I'm doing something normal, like going to the bathroom (weird, I know) I'll whip it out and the time flies. I say make the jump if you have the budget.