Mets thinking change?

cmm

[The Mets are one of only two teams that can pull off that look in my book, and I'd love to see them go back. Or, rather, somehow bring that style of stripes into the 21st century.

(Step 1 would be to start with raglan sleeves.)

I don't think those are raglan sleeves. Much like the Phillies of that era, the seams are too straight for the true raglan. I think it's just the thickness of the racing stripe that's giving it the raglan appearance. I think there's a vertical seam in there.

You're correct: Those are not raglan sleeves. That's why step one of my scheme for updating the look would include using raglan sleeves. That down-the-sleeve strips is going to look better if the pinstripes follow it all the way to the collar.

And as much as I like the hip-to-pit stripe on the jersey, I can see how ditching it would make this kind of stripe a little more contemporary. However, I don't think there's anything to be gained by narrowing the stripe. MLB has too many too-narrow piping styles to begin with. We're down to pretty much the Brewers and the Braves in keeping alive multi-color piping that isn't pointlessly narrow. But alas it's all moot, since the Mets aren't going to go there.

The Phillies sort of did that with their jerseys. The racing stripe actually included pinstripes on either side, furthering the raglan illusion.

steve-carlton.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a huge Mets fan and would love to see the following:

1. Keep the classic pin-stripe with blue caps for Sundays. I think that keeps a tie to the team's past.

2. Keep the black jersey with black caps for Friday nights only. I think people originally liked the black but got tired of it due to its overuse.

3. Design a new uniform for the remaining games. Here are my suggestions:

A. Someone posted an outstanding concept of a white sox juniform on this site recently that resembled a classic St. Louis Cardinals Jersey . . . all white with thicker piping down the sleeve, around the sleeve, color and chest. I think that look for the Mets with blue piping and either the NY on the chest with blue cap/orange rim would be classic.

B. Vest - White with orange/blue/orange piping around the vest arms, with orange long shirt underneath would be great. Orange NY out lined in blue with all blue cap.

I'm not a designer, but think this would be a good uniform set.

Anyone can take a shot at that here?

Again, I'm afraid Mets management will mess this up

They might as well change their whole look altogether. Because whoever said Blue and orange go good together must have been on the crack pipe at the time.

Several hundred years of art history, pre-dating crack, have something to say on the issue.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

i'd love to see them go with a modernized version of these:

a_gooden_275.jpg

Me too. The Mets are one of only two teams that can pull off that look in my book, and I'd love to see them go back. Or, rather, somehow bring that style of stripes into the 21st century.

(Step 1 would be to start with raglan sleeves.)

Just out of curiosity, what is the other team that you think could pull it off?

Also, I wouldn't worry about them being revived. They wore them a couple of times in 2002 and most recently in August of 2006 vs. Colorado on a Saturday Night/Sunday Afternoon on "20th Anniversary Weekend" of their '86 title. It's not like they have a Brewers "retro Fridays" or "Sunday uniforms" movement that is gathering any steam...

515-1.jpg534.jpg

This is what they need.

I would have them wearing these at home. Current roads minus black with a blue cap. and then the black alts no more than once a week. Thats a winning combination.

yankees-1.png

Uniform_Blu_7.jpg

I invented those 3 years ago - except for the orange piping

mets-bluewwhite.jpg

Around 1982-83 or so the Mets wore a jersey very similar except it had an orange V neck and cuffs (orange, white, orange) and the Mets script was grey trimmed in orange. It was one of my favorite jersyes as a child and was only worn on the road.

Blue BP

610x.jpg

Road Yankee wanna-be

27dykstraDAD.190.jpg

Road script New York

ds.jpg

Last one. Mets script on gray. Oh noes, no city name on the road!

1986g2a.jpg

I hated those Yankee lookalikes, the 1987 road script was not a bad look I don't undertsand why they got rid of it after just one season.

And the button down, ruined the racing stripes forever, it was fine on a pullover 8-s jersey but when the buttons came back it no longer worked.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

This got my vote:

3542166487_4e98fac50a.jpg

Agreed. And what's more, used thusly, I don't mind the black at all. If the Mets want to keep black in their scheme as a tertiary color, I'm fine with that, just so long as no jersey or cap is ever composed of black fabric.

(If I had my druthers, I'd put the Mets in pinstripes full time at home, but that's just me preferring the way things looked when I was a kid. The non-pinstriped jersey is the superior choice for a team sharing a market with the Yankees no matter what my personal aesthetic preference is.)

20082614447.png

(If I had my druthers, I'd put the Mets in pinstripes full time at home, but that's just me preferring the way things looked when I was a kid. The non-pinstriped jersey is the superior choice for a team sharing a market with the Yankees no matter what my personal aesthetic preference is.)

That's one of my major reasons for preferring the whites.

Even in this limited aspect, I don't like the black. It muddies the wordmark, and anything which makes the wordmark harder to read ought to go. But that wasn't among the choices presented to us.

Wow, it's sad to say, but I think this has me more excited than the signing of Santana. I really hope this is a sign that the Mets go back to a more traditional look. And kudos to them for soliciting fan input.

I'm sure I am committing a faux pas for linking to a long dead concept of mine, but what I really would like to see the Mets go to something like this. My distaste for the introduction of black to the Mets uniforms and my love for the classic Mets look is what led me to these forums in the first place.

As for the ballpark questions, I wish they had a poll like this BEFORE they decided to sink several hundred million dollars into a stadium with over 10,000 fewer seats than its predecessor.

Archived