Mets thinking change?

cmm

ahh gorgeous. all they would need to do is make them button-downs and use blue cleats, and you'd have the perfect Mets look in my books.

It's called 1991 & 1992 :P

vincecolemanmets.jpg

well don't i look bad. i was only 6 years old, give me a break. haha.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone else LOVE the cream with pinstripes besides me? Tom Seaver wore it to throw out the first pitch. It would differentiate them from the Cubs home.

Cream with pinstripes and the blue hat for home - Every Game.

If they do that, for the Road and Road alt, they can do whatever they want.

Everyone loves a roundel.

I think the Mets missed a prime chance to change their uniforms to a more retro look with the opening of Citi Field.

It just seems like such an obvious opportunity that came and went. Maybe they'll do it next year or the year after, but it seems a bit late for me.

I think the Mets missed a prime chance to change their uniforms to a more retro look with the opening of Citi Field.

It just seems like such an obvious opportunity that came and went. Maybe they'll do it next year or the year after, but it seems a bit late for me.

Yes, but the fact that the timing would be completely wrong only increases the odds that that's what the Mets will do. It's the one thing that gives me hope that this is not a prelude to the Mets going full crapard with their uniform change.

20082614447.png

Knowing them, they would have changed it to a Brooklyn Dodgers style.

Uniform_Blu_7.jpg

I invented those 3 years ago - except for the orange piping

mets-bluewwhite.jpg

I think saying you "invented" them is going a bit far; I think anyone (including yours truly) that has tinkered with the Mets' look has arrived at that or a very similar color combo on a blue jersey. Yours aren't the same either, you reversed the black and orange trim.

Did anyone else LOVE the cream with pinstripes besides me? Tom Seaver wore it to throw out the first pitch. It would differentiate them from the Cubs home.

How do they need to differentiate?! The blue pinstripes and blue hat are the only similarity. The jersey design - script vs. left chest logo - as well as the number font are totally different.

How do they need to differentiate?! The blue pinstripes and blue hat are the only similarity. The jersey design - script vs. left chest logo - as well as the number font are totally different.

Point well taken. When the White Sox changed to their current look in 1991, did they get the same kind of flack from those saying they wanted to copy the Cubs?

That being said, the Mets have been able to erase my youthful image of them in pinstripes/racing stripes to the point where the most Met-looking getup in my mind is now the snow whites with black drop shadows and black caps/belts/socks.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Wow, it's sad to say, but I think this has me more excited than the signing of Santana. I really hope this is a sign that the Mets go back to a more traditional look. And kudos to them for soliciting fan input.

I'm sure I am committing a faux pas for linking to a long dead concept of mine, but what I really would like to see the Mets go to something like this. My distaste for the introduction of black to the Mets uniforms and my love for the classic Mets look is what led me to these forums in the first place.

As for the ballpark questions, I wish they had a poll like this BEFORE they decided to sink several hundred million dollars into a stadium with over 10,000 fewer seats than its predecessor.

Everything but the orange bill and the blue road alt

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

They might as well change their whole look altogether. Because whoever said Blue and orange go good together must have been on the crack pipe at the time.

They're complementary colors.

And don't mention crack pipes around the Mets, some of them will start salivating.

(If I had my druthers, I'd put the Mets in pinstripes full time at home, but that's just me preferring the way things looked when I was a kid. The non-pinstriped jersey is the superior choice for a team sharing a market with the Yankees no matter what my personal aesthetic preference is.)

I've heard this argument a lot, that the Mets shouldn't wear pinstripes because the Yankees do. I respectfully disagree with it. It might have been valid in the 1960s when the Mets were starting out, but pinstripes are now a part of the Mets' history too. They wore them when they first took the field in 1962. They wore them when they opened Shea in 1964. They wore them during their "Miracle" 1969 season and the "Ya Gotta Believe" 1973 season. They wore them during the Grant's Tomb era and their resurgence of the mid-80s. Seaver, Hodges, Kranepool, Koosman, Tug, Cleon, Agee, Kingman, Rusty, Mookie, Hernandez, Strawberry, Gooden, HoJo, Carter, and Darling all wore pinstripes; even Piazza, Leiter, Wright, and Reyes wore/wear them on occasion.

The Yankees have "NY" on their hats. Does that mean the Mets have to get rid of their "NY" too? True, they are different styles. But so are the pinstripes (in color, anyway).

Not only are the pinstripes part of the Mets' history, but they also look so much better than the "snow whites" which is why they should wear them at most home games (I wouldn't have a problem with a blue alternate).

I was with you until you said they look better than the snow whites. Can't agree there.

And as far as tradition goes, the Mets' visual history is so muddied and inconstant that I don't see any more compelling need to retain the pinstripes in 2010 than there would have been in 1963.

ahh gorgeous. all they would need to do is make them button-downs and use blue cleats, and you'd have the perfect Mets look in my books.

vincecolemanmets.jpg

the only thing missing with the vince coleman picture is the fireworks and the tarp

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

vincecolemanmets.jpg

the only thing missing with the vince coleman picture is the fireworks and the tarp

Wow. Clever.

vincecolemanmets.jpg

Yeah, I was that age too... :P

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

[quote name='epper' post='1163306'

Wow. Clever.

In his defense, he didn't mean to hit the little girl with the firecracker, he just missed the cutoff man for a change...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

okay okay, all early '90s mets jokes aside, i voted for the cream pinstripes, the current grey road jersey and the blue alternate with the orange piping. i understand the affection for the racing stripe, it being the last uni they won a world series in...but it's not realistic. the best we can hope for here is for some return to prominence in the aesthetic category. and by that i mean all blue all time.

as far as the mets uniform history being watered down, i understand that. but why push it further? it wasn't too long ago that the cardinals and cubs, who are considered modern classic looks, caught the powder blue fever. i feel like it's never to late to look good.

sig2024.png

Archived