Mets thinking change?

cmm

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally, I love the black uni's. Hate the color orange and wish they'd figure out a way to get rid of orange altogether.

Yes, because that makes more sense than ditching a color so obviously added for the sake of a trend, but, rather, to ditch the secondary color they've had their entire existence, which plays to, not only 2 colors of previous NY teams, but also the colors of the city itself.

But, we must appeal what's cool, so ditch the orange and make the Mets a muddled black and blue team. Would play to how they look come September...

Maybe you're on to something here...

(And judging from your second post there, you're not one to put much thought into your posts, and probably will not be a valuable member, er, just member, here for very long.)

I hated the Orange in the Mets unis since I was a little kid and have been a mets fan since 1982 when I was 6 years old. 9 times out of 10, I prefer teams to stick with their traditional colors. This is not one of them. No team should ever use the color orange. The Bucs had the right idea to ditch it, the Flyers had the right idea when they went away from it for a few years. As far as my membership, it is an internet message board, relax yourself.

Coggs, I see you've been properly welcomed by the CCSLC Dick Patrol. Nice job, McCall. Way to be a dick. You've made the rest of us so very proud!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Personally, I love the black uni's. Hate the color orange and wish they'd figure out a way to get rid of orange altogether.

Yes, because that makes more sense than ditching a color so obviously added for the sake of a trend, but, rather, to ditch the secondary color they've had their entire existence, which plays to, not only 2 colors of previous NY teams, but also the colors of the city itself.

But, we must appeal what's cool, so ditch the orange and make the Mets a muddled black and blue team. Would play to how they look come September...

(And judging from your second post there, you're not one to put much thought into your posts, and probably will not be a valuable member, er, just member, here for very long.)

I hated the Orange in the Mets unis since I was a little kid and have been a mets fan since 1982 when I was 6 years old. 9 times out of 10, I prefer teams to stick with their traditional colors. This is not one of them. No team should ever use the color orange. The Bucs had the right idea to ditch it, the Flyers had the right idea when they went away from it for a few years. As far as my membership, it is an internet message board, relax yourself.

Do you also despise the Netherlands national football team, Ivory Coast national football team, Auburn University, Boise State University, Bowling Green State University, Campbell University, Clemson University, Mercer University, Oklahoma State University, Oregon State University, Pepperdine University, Princeton University, The Rochester Institute of Technology, Sam Houston State University, Syracuse University, The University of Illinois, The University of Florida, The University of Miami, The University of the Pacific, The University of Virginia, The University of Tennessee, The University of Texas, The University of Texas at El Paso, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Baltimore Orioles, San Francisco Giants, Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals, Denver Broncos, Miami Dolphins, New York Knicks, Phoenix Suns, Charlotte Bobcats, New York Islanders and the Houston Dynamo?

Do you also despise the Netherlands national football team, Ivory Coast national football team, Auburn University, Boise State University, Bowling Green State University, Campbell University, Clemson University, Mercer University, Oklahoma State University, Oregon State University, Pepperdine University, Princeton University, The Rochester Institute of Technology, Sam Houston State University, Syracuse University, The University of Illinois, The University of Florida, The University of Miami, The University of the Pacific, The University of Virginia, The University of Tennessee, The University of Texas, The University of Texas at El Paso, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Baltimore Orioles, San Francisco Giants, Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals, Denver Broncos, Miami Dolphins, New York Knicks, Phoenix Suns, Charlotte Bobcats, New York Islanders and the Houston Dynamo?

Isles and Knicks, yes. The rest? Don't really care about.

Coggs, I see you've been properly welcomed by the CCSLC Dick Patrol. Nice job, McCall. Way to be a dick. You've made the rest of us so very proud!

Doesn't bother me. I have been a member here longer than him anyway. I mean, I'd rather see the Mets keep the black jersey and ditch orange, so I guess that makes me a scumbag. Secondly, I was critical of one of the proposed designs which someone else here claims as their own. Guess I struck a nerve.

As for the rest of the proposals:

Whoever designed the first set should be shot. By far the worst of the proposals. Didn't know the mets went to the school for the blind to get designs.

The second set I like, but prefer the blue stripe.

the third is terrible as previously stated

4th I like, but again, prefer the stripe.

5th I like as well, but prefer column A

6th? Gross

7th I like as well, but again I prefer that blue stripe.

Now, if they proposed something with the orange out entirely, I'd be a happy camper.

And judging from your second post there, you're not one to put much thought into your posts, and probably will not be a valuable member, er, just member, here for very long.

PICK UP YOUR PHONE YOU JUST GOT MCCALLED

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Here is my idea for an alternate jersey. I had this made up from a replica fashion jersey the Mets were selling last year:

SanAlt1.jpgSanAlt2.jpg

You took the blue fashion jersey they were selling at the end of '07 and through '08 and put the patch on and the orange/white santana lettering, right? It looks SICK! I actually have the same blue jersey and now I want to do the same thing to it. Great job. Where did you get the lettering done? Or did you DIY? Let me know, I definitely want to recreate your vision!

sig2024.png

Here is my idea for an alternate jersey. I had this made up from a replica fashion jersey the Mets were selling last year:

SanAlt1.jpgSanAlt2.jpg

You took the blue fashion jersey they were selling at the end of '07 and through '08 and put the patch on and the orange/white santana lettering, right? It looks SICK! I actually have the same blue jersey and now I want to do the same thing to it. Great job. Where did you get the lettering done? Or did you DIY? Let me know, I definitely want to recreate your vision!

That is exactly what I did. I also went for the old patch with the NY on it rather than the new one. I had it done at Stitches in Whitestone, NY, they are the guys that work on the Mets jerseys that Majestic does not customize. They were selling this jersey with just orange letters and numbers and it looked horrible. It is amazing what a little white outline can do.

Obviously not a Mets fan, but I prefer the piping for them. So much, in fact, that if I were to pick from these I lean toward current "snow whites," current roads, and the blue alt with orange piping and matching white lettering and numbers. (Not a fan of the mixed lettering colors on any of these blues.) All worn with the traditional blue cap only. Unreadable black/blue cap goes away.

The cream w/ pinstripes is tempting, though. However, the most surprising revelation for me when looking at these, was that if the terms above were agreed to, and it would only be worn as a one-night-a-week promotion or road-only, I'd leave the black alt with the all-black cap in the set.

I realize that might be a bit boring to be so consistent. But what they have to offer to mix it up is not so good (although someone could go with two-color sleeveless and be OK in my book).

But for those that want '80s racing stripes, I think that's what Majestic is trying to establish with those blue pits/panels -- a racing stripe for the '10s. Be careful what you wish for. Someone will likely adopt these, and 20 years from now someone here will pine for them.

SanAlt1.jpgSanAlt2.jpg

That is exactly what I did. I also went for the old patch with the NY on it rather than the new one. I had it done at Stitches in Whitestone, NY, they are the guys that work on the Mets jerseys that Majestic does not customize. They were selling this jersey with just orange letters and numbers and it looked horrible. It is amazing what a little white outline can do.

Whitestone! My family's old stomping grounds. Perfect, I'm definitely going to take mine in there. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

sig2024.png

But for those that want '80s racing stripes, I think that's what Majestic is trying to establish with those blue pits/panels -- a racing stripe for the '10s. Be careful what you wish for. Someone will likely adopt these, and 20 years from now someone here will pine for them.

I'm one of the wishers, and I couldn't agree more. Those hideous underarm panels strike me as an overt attempt to refer to the racing stripes. The problem is that the underarm stains get the effect of the racing stripes exactly backwards. Piping down the sleeves creates a dynamic line that emphasizes the player's sense of motion. The mostly hidden underarm color blocks do exactly the opposite -- by leaving broad swaths of negative space around the shoulders, arms, and torso, they give players a static look.

I am convinced that Majestic is so in love with the underarm coloring because it's simply easier to manufacture. Adding panels there is easier to sew than building in similar extra blocks of fabric anywhere else on a shirt. It's laziness, and I sure hope it never sees the light of day as a non-BP uniform element. Leave that crap for the J-League, where at least there's some history of ugly underarm striping.

20082614447.png

Doesn't bother me. I have been a member here longer than him anyway. I mean, I'd rather see the Mets keep the black jersey and ditch orange, so I guess that makes me a scumbag.

No, it doesn't, and no one ever said that it did, other then yourself.

It just strikes a lot of people around here as odd, myself included, to see a lifetime fan of a team want to see that team ditch one of their historic primary colours in favour of a colour they added to appeal to a growing trend.

You're not wrong by any means (this is all subjective after all), but it is an odd position to take. Even most of the people in favour of newer, more modern aesthetics are probably in favour of keeping longtime colour schemes that are identifiable with the team in question.

McCall may have come off as a bit harsh, but to be honest your post was kind of blindsiding. I mean a lifelong Mets fan who hates orange and loves black? That comes way out of left field.

There's a reason the Knicks, Islanders, and Mets are blue and orange. Those are the colours of New York City, colours they inherited from the Dutch, who colonized the area. If you dislike the blue/orange combo, take it up with NYC, or maybe the Netherlands.

Besides, we already saw a blue/black team in MLB. See the Kansas City Royals from 2002-2005. It looked horrible.

Also, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers didn't ditch orange, they just cut back on its usage. It's still part of the primary logo and number outlines.

Uniform_multi_6.jpg

You know what? I like those. Just shrink the wordmark a bit and it works. It's already been brought up, but these remind me of a modern take on the racing stripe idea. I like it.

Ice Cap, don't know what it is, just hate orange. I didn't buy my first mets jersey until the black was unveiled. Had a hat as a kid, (when I was about 8 or 9). Lasted a few years and I didn't get another one until they released the first black hat. Loved it. Like the all black even more. The uniform they are wearing tonight is my favorite combo. Gray New York with black shadow and the black hat. As for the colors, the orange has nothing to do with the flag of NYC. They took the blue from the Dodgers and the orange from the Giants. Not sure why the Knicks used the same, as I am a Knick Hater. The Islanders are not an NYC team, but they got their blue and orange because those are also the colors of Nassau County.

As far as tradition, like I said, normally I love it. I loved when the Giants went back to their current uniforms with the gray pants and the ny on the helmet, although I liked the white jersey with the red numbers and blue outline like they wore from 2000-2004ish. Love the Rangers uniform and love how it has undergone some minor changes to the font over the years, and some tweaks with the striping, but the basic premise has stayed the same. My stomach turns when I am on a Rangers or Giants site and I read some 19 year old kid start a thread about how he wishes they would change their uniforms and add more bells and whistles. Or worse, when someone wants the Rangers to adopt the 3rd jersey as their regular blue. However, when it comes to the Mets, I am all for a change.

Archived