Mets thinking change?

cmm

Sorry for the lack of pics. But the big news of this survey, to me anyway, is that they are seriously considering getting rid of the black jerseys.

The problem is that it's clear the Mets are also seriously considering keeping the black jerseys and using less blue. Or, if they drop the black, adopting Yankees-copycat jerseys. The range of options being considered does not make me hopeful that the Mets are going to improve their uniforms.

20082614447.png

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry for the lack of pics. But the big news of this survey, to me anyway, is that they are seriously considering getting rid of the black jerseys.

The problem is that it's clear the Mets are also seriously considering keeping the black jerseys and using less blue. Or, if they drop the black, adopting Yankees-copycat jerseys. The range of options being considered does not make me hopeful that the Mets are going to improve their uniforms.

Don't worry, as a Met fan I can guarantee you that ownership and management will find a way to completely botch any change they make and then try to explain why it's a good thing they did what they did and we should embrace it and blah blah blah.

And then when they're faced with an outrage they'll stick to their guns anyway. The whole sleeve patch debacle of 2009 is really just a microcosm of the big picture of this team.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Don't worry, as a Met fan I can guarantee you that ownership and management will find a way to completely botch any change they make and then try to explain why it's a good thing they did what they did and we should embrace it and blah blah blah.

And then when they're faced with an outrage they'll stick to their guns anyway. The whole sleeve patch debacle of 2009 is really just a microcosm of the big picture of this team.

They're not my team, but I hope they drop all links to black and pick up a blue alternate jersey. For all of our sakes, I hope they don't adopt a vest or go with the colored-armpit looks. Nothing says Little League Baseball like a vest, especially a colored one, and nothing says college baseball and the World Baseball Classic like colored armpits.

I think the side panels might work quite well for the Mets, who after all are a team that seem to struggle for an identity. Something modern, yet distinctive would be a nice contrast to the pinstripes of the Yankees across town.

I have to agree. When people think of New York, they think of a modern city. Since the Yankees have tradition locked up in the city, why not try and be the modern team in argueably the most modern city in America? Besides, like you said, it'd give them one of the most unique looks in baseball.

If I were at the Higher-ups w/the NY Mets,I'd make the Blue hats,sweaters,socks and

the other white jersey the main HOME jerseys.I would keep the Black hats along

with their standard gray as the AWAY uniform.I would restrict the black for the

outlines and footwear.I'm done for now.

majorleaguebaseball3fi.gif

nflfan8bf.jpg

319rg.jpg

dccomics5vs.png

antimtv.png

i'd love to see them go with a modernized version of these:

a_gooden_275.jpg

Me too. The Mets are one of only two teams that can pull off that look in my book, and I'd love to see them go back. Or, rather, somehow bring that style of stripes into the 21st century.

(Step 1 would be to start with raglan sleeves.)

20082614447.png

a_gooden_275.jpg

Me too. The Mets are one of only two teams that can pull off that look in my book, and I'd love to see them go back. Or, rather, somehow bring that style of stripes into the 21st century.

Just out of curiosity, what is the other team that you think could pull it off?

Also, I wouldn't worry about them being revived. They wore them a couple of times in 2002 and most recently in August of 2006 vs. Colorado on a Saturday Night/Sunday Afternoon on "20th Anniversary Weekend" of their '86 title. It's not like they have a Brewers "retro Fridays" or "Sunday uniforms" movement that is gathering any steam...

515-1.jpg534.jpg

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

515-1.jpg534.jpg

See i absolutley love this, but agree to bring back the style youd have to tone down the thickness of the stripes, and only have them on the sleeves and pants, leave out the pit-to-hip stripe...

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

The Mets sent out a survey to some fans about their uniforms and about Citi Field. Some of the questions were pretty basic: What jersey is your favorite? Should the Mets wear pinstripes more? And my favorite question, should the Mets keep their black jerseys? (NO!!)

They also had some concepts they wanted feedback on. My friend got the survey and I didn't but here are some descriptions:

A white, sleeveless jersey (no pinstripes), blue NY logo outlined in orange on the left chest, an orange number (no outline) next to it on the right, blue sleeves underneath.

A blue, sleeveless jersey, white NY logo outlined in orange on the left chest, an orange number (no outline) next to it on the right, orange sleeves underneath.

The current black alternate jersey and a jersey similar to the black alternate but without the blue piping.

A blue jersey, with the Mets script and uni number in white, outlined in orange, black dropshadow, orange piping.

A blue jersey, no piping, Mets script in orange, black dropshadow, white uni number, outlined in orange, black dropshadow.

The current road gray jersey and a similar jersey without the blue piping.

The current pinstripes and a similar jersey but in a cream/beige color.

Jerseys similar to their snow-white home jerseys and gray road jerseys but without the piping and with a blue collar and blue sides. The blue sections are "outlined" with orange.

Their current snow white jerseys and a similar jersey without the piping.

They might as well change their whole look altogether. Because whoever said Blue and orange go good together must have been on the crack pipe at the time.

spacer.png

I'm a long-time Mets fan (who remembers crying as a little kid when Seaver was traded to the Reds), and a frequent lurker here (though not a big poster).

In recent years, I've slowly moved over to the "ditch the black" side when it comes to the Mets' uniforms. When they first came out, I liked the change.

As time went by, I disliked the black more and more, if only because it seemed that the Mets NEVER WORE their standard sets anymore. And I know what I'm speaking of here--I started keeping a record of when they wore what uniform combination, just to prove how rarely they came out in either the pinstripe whites or the plain whites with only blue trim (no blue/black caps or socks). It's all on paper; I've literally got a five-year plus record of when they've worn what.

Curiously, they've actually begun to wear either of the two white sets with full blue trim much more frequently since the beginning of the 2008 season (note: this does not stop the coaching staff from wearing blue/black jackets, but that's another topic). I've been wondering if ditching the black completely might be the next step.

I could actually live with them not making a single change to the uniform sets, if they decided to start treating the black as an alternate (limiting it to being worn no more than once a week, maybe Sundays only?).

BUT, if change is coming:

1. I want to keep both the pinstripes and the plain white uniforms (please keep the blue piping).

2. I want the current greys (keep the blue piping).

3. I would not mind the white vest alternate from the poll; however, if adopted I would like the team to have both blue and orange undershirts/sleeves to wear with the vest.

4. If vests are out, I would not mind seeing a sleeved version of that white vest alternate.

5. I'd like an alternate cap (only for either #3/#4, not for the "standard" sets) with an orange bill.

6. For all sets, no black drop shadows.

7. I do not like the blue alts shown in the poll; they'd make fine batting practice shirts, but lousy, uninspired alternate uniforms.

A few notes, defending #3-#5 on my list:

- When I first saw the vests, I instantly remembered some of the old photos my late grandmother had of the New York Giants from the 1920s (I'm not sure of the years). New York's then-NL-team wore that "NY" logo on the chest for some of those years (in uniforms that both were and were not pinstriped), then had the "NY" move to the sleeve in later years of that decade (BTW, I'm sure the "Dressed to the Nines" website would have the exact years). I think putting that logo on a Mets uniform shirt would be a nice link to the New York's National League past.

- Doing so on a vest would be a way of taking that past design and making it uniquely the Mets' own.

- An orange undershirt to wear with the vest would give the club another uniform option with an alternate color that is not black (thank god). I think if you had the orange alts, a corresponding alt cap with an orange brim would be a perfect match. Again, I would also want the blue undershirt shown in their poll drawings.

No matter what the Mets decide to do; I'd be satisfied as long as they promise to wear whatever alternate they come up with no more than once a week.

Lastly, I never want to see those side panels on any major league baseball team, unless the Hated Yankees decide they need an alt (BTW, I was raised that "Hated" is a word that should always come in front of the term Yankees, unless one is talking about the American Revolution, or the history of North/South relations). New York's other team (you know, the one that moved into town from Baltimore in 1903) is welcomed to adopt anything stupid at any time, such as building a ballpark with a "class" moat built into it.

However, knowing how the Mets management has screwed up this year's patches, I've got no confidence in the team making the right decision, and fear that the side panels are coming in 2010.

What was wrong with the script the Mets used in '87? I like that better than the one that looks like the Red Sox' lettering.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

a_gooden_275.jpg

I don't think those are raglan sleeves. Much like the Phillies of that era, the seams are too straight for the true raglan. I think it's just the thickness of the racing stripe that's giving it the raglan appearance. I think there's a vertical seam in there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

[The Mets are one of only two teams that can pull off that look in my book, and I'd love to see them go back. Or, rather, somehow bring that style of stripes into the 21st century.

I don't think those are raglan sleeves. Much like the Phillies of that era, the seams are too straight for the true raglan. I think it's just the thickness of the racing stripe that's giving it the raglan appearance. I think there's a vertical seam in there.

You're correct: Those are not raglan sleeves. That's why step one of my scheme for updating the look would include using raglan sleeves. That down-the-sleeve strips is going to look better if the pinstripes follow it all the way to the collar.

And as much as I like the hip-to-pit stripe on the jersey, I can see how ditching it would make this kind of stripe a little more contemporary. However, I don't think there's anything to be gained by narrowing the stripe. MLB has too many too-narrow piping styles to begin with. We're down to pretty much the Brewers and the Braves in keeping alive multi-color piping that isn't pointlessly narrow. But alas it's all moot, since the Mets aren't going to go there.

20082614447.png

Archived