My NHL Redesign

dgnmrwrw

Shouldn't the Chara template be a little bit taller?!? Really great series so far, I echo speedy's remarks with the Bruins, the only thing is that I feel the alternate logo is a little too modern for a team with a history such as they have.

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the feedback on Boston. I can understand people having a problem with losing the semi-outline on the shoulder. It's only my totally OC need to get consistency that caused me to drop it. The only problem I have with the Bruins set is that the striping on the socks, sleeves/waist, and shoulders don't match. So that was my intention.

Also, the template I'm using doesn't have any different collars. I probably could take the time to make some interchangeable collars, but call me lazy. I would definitely give the B's the lace up collar, in reality.

Buffalo up momentarily.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

#4: Buffalo Sabres

Logo.png

I went back to just blue and gold with the Sabres. The logo (which I have tweaked and messed with until I'm sick of looking at it) uses the swords from the alternate logo first used in the red and black days, with a charging Buffalo coming from behind the swords. I was trying to use the shape of the tips of the swords to double as the buffalo's horns. I tried versions with more detail on the buffalo, but the logo was getting too busy. I also gave them a new wordmark, with more curves and fewer straight lines.

The home and away jerseys are based on the old pre-red and black sets. (I know some people are going to call for three gold stripes on the blue jersey, but it was just too much gold for my taste.) The yellow swoosh on the shoulders is supposed to mimic the sword motif. I kept the numeral typeface. It's modern but still legible and not over-the-top, and the slanted edges look good on the Sabres.

For the alternate, I wanted to go with a much cleaner, simple look. I kept it blue, because yellow was a bit too much. I also used a simple buffalo as the logo. I think the overall simplicity and cleanness of the alternate contrasts well with the business of the home and away.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

Note: I was going to use the buffalo from the alternate jersey in the primary logo (like the Sabres used to do), if the charging buffalo/swords logo wasn't working. But I think the set's good as it is.

The swords crossing in front of the Buffalo's head is a little awkward looking. I would trying crossing them behind the head. Rest of the concept looks good, great job updating the Sabres template.

The swords crossing in front of the Buffalo's head is a little awkward looking. I would trying crossing them behind the head. Rest of the concept looks good, great job updating the Sabres template.

I am thinking the same thing, it might not turn out though.

Those Sabres are beautiful!

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

I can definitely get behind that Sabres logo. That alternate is awesome.

The one thing I never understood.. they are the Buffalo SABRES not the Buffalo Buffaloes. And their current and previous logo have only consisted of Buffaloes and no Sabre.

I can definitely get behind that Sabres logo. That alternate is awesome.

The one thing I never understood.. they are the Buffalo SABRES not the Buffalo Buffaloes. And their current and previous logo have only consisted of Buffaloes and no Sabre.

Exactly! I am not saying anything negative about your concept, in fact quite the contrary, you are just following suit as far as the franchise is concerned. But why the heavy use of the buffalo over the sabre? The Bills are just as guilty. It would be like the Redskins throwing George Washington on every logo they had because they have "Washington" in the team name.

UJ

I'm not liking the buffalo aspect of it. It just looks off, and weird with the swords placed over the face. Maybe put the swords behind the head.

That said, those are probably the best rendered swords I've seen on these boards. They're fantastically badass, and I'd try to emphasize them more.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

The bruins concept is good. I like the alternate the best, but I agree with whoever said about "ruin" popping out for some reason.

Some people didn't like the swords in front but I think thats better because that is there name, and because that logo is awesome. I like the shoulders of the jerseys and the alternate is sweet.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Thanks for the input. Let me address a few things.

For those who suggested putting the swords behind the buffalo: Doing that would hide all but the hilts and handles of the swords. The blade would all be hidden by the buffalo's head and horns. Also, doing this would put almost all of the emphasis on the buffalo, instead of on the Sabres, which is where I want it.

Which brings me to this: I have to disagree with those who say I've emphasized the Buffalo over the Sabres. I made the swords big and bright, and I put them in front. On the other hand, the buffalo head is obscured, behind the swords, and made up mostly of negative space.

One of the things I liked about the Sabres' old circular logo was how it 'read' BUFFALO then SABRES, if you interpreted the images as words. I was trying to do the same sort of thing here, but in a more dynamic way than just having a flat image of a buffalo above a flat image of swords.

Anyone else have any input on Buffalo or any new thoughts/suggestions based on my previous post? I was hoping to get a little more feedback before moving on.

I agree that the primary logo looks awkward with the swords crossed in front of the face like that. It also suffers from the same problem as the Buffaslug, which is that it isn't really all that identifiable as a bison.

The alternate and uniform designs, on the other hand, are perfection. I really like how the shoulder yoke outline on the blue jersey tapers like a saber.

To avoid the swords interfering with the bison head, you could do a modernized version of the old logo; with the swords inside a circle with a running buffalo below that. I bet if you executed it well, then it might look really good.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

To avoid the swords interfering with the bison head, you could do a modernized version of the old logo; with the swords inside a circle with a running buffalo below that. I bet if you executed it well, then it might look really good.

This was going to be my fall-back. I really didn't want to go down this road, since it's been done numerous times on these boards and doesn't seem that creative. But I guess I'll do one and post it versus the original logo, and see how that goes over.

Well, I'm still struggling to make a better logo. To make it work with both the swords and the buffalo (at least partly) inside the circle, I've got to shrink at least one of them down. Or both of them. And all that's getting me is a logo that's a boring recreation of the old logo: a plain circle with a flat image of a buffalo on top, and a flat image of swords beneath. I guess it's ok, if my goal was only to do a nearly-mirror image update of an old logo.

But I really feel that what I had originally is still a stronger (and certainly much less boring) logo, so for now I'm gonna keep it up. I'll keep working on this one, because it's driving me crazy, but I want to move forward with the project. So hopefully I'll have the next team up soon.

#5 Calgary Flames

Logo.png

This concept is very similar to the Bruins in terms of what I wanted to do. I think the Flames' logo might be the best in the NHL. It's simple, it's easily reproducible, and it visually says "Calgary" and "Flames." I played with tweaking it, but never really made anything better than this. I'm still working on it, but I really think this logo is nearly perfect. So I'm keeping it, and I gave them a cleaner, simplified wordmark.

For the uniforms, I love the way the Flames incorporate red and black together. I know many people want to see them drop the black altogether, but I really think the Flames use black as a secondary color better than just about anyone else in sports. So I simplified the jersey striping, going back to almost exactly what the Flames used right before the RBK switch (with slight differences in some of the stripe thicknesses and the treatment of the waist striping).

I also created a new shoulder/alternate logo for the Flames. I really liked the idea behind using a horse that they tried in the old alternate sweaters. But I tried a different take on it. I used this logo on the black alternate jersey, with a different striping pattern. I know they're a bit dark, but it is an alternate.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

I like the home and away because they look like the jerseys they were wearing before the Edge era (which were some of my favourites). The third is really nice, those stripes are so unique that you might want to try them on the socks. The best part of this concept and series has got to be the logos you have made.

Blackhawks.pngBulls.png

Archived