New Twins Wordmark

no97

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could be wrong, but isnt it retractable?

Nope, not retractable. Too expensive.

I just wish they had gone with one of the earlier designs - which would have allowed the team to add a roof in the future. There were some architectural elements that needed to be put in place, but this final design took them out.

I just wish they had gone with one of the earlier designs - which would have allowed the team to add a roof in the future. There were some architectural elements that needed to be put in place, but this final design took them out.

I agree in abstract. But the fact is that if the money weren't there for a roof now, it was never going to show up later. So no sense spending money now to build in infrastructure that by any realistic assessment was never going to be used. It's like, I wish my house had crenelated tower with a mead-hall and arrow slits. But since I know I'm never actually going to spend the hundred grand to build my dream castle, I didn't pour a foundation for the tower on the northeast corner of my lot when I built my house.

On topic, I really hope the Twins have tweaked the TC logo to bring the whole package together better. The shape of the serifs on the "s" give me hope.

20082614447.png

I agree in abstract. But the fact is that if the money weren't there for a roof now, it was never going to show up later. So no sense spending money now to build in infrastructure that by any realistic assessment was never going to be used.

Speaking of, Twin Cities columnest Sid Hartmen recently had a note in his column (scroll down to Jottings) about how if Target Field had been open for 2009, only one game would have been delayed by rain so far, and none canceled through the first (almost) two months of the season.

I know everyone thinks (and sometimes we don't help with the "what's the temp where you are" thread) that it's always snowing and below zero, but summers are actually pretty nice here. And in the TC's, spring ain't too bad either. In fact, April and September average highs and lows aren't much different than Boston, Chicago, Detroit or Cleveland, and no one is shocked that the ballparks there don't have roofs...

Moose

I agree in abstract. But the fact is that if the money weren't there for a roof now, it was never going to show up later. So no sense spending money now to build in infrastructure that by any realistic assessment was never going to be used. It's like, I wish my house had crenelated tower with a mead-hall and arrow slits. But since I know I'm never actually going to spend the hundred grand to build my dream castle, I didn't pour a foundation for the tower on the northeast corner of my lot when I built my house.

On topic, I really hope the Twins have tweaked the TC logo to bring the whole package together better. The shape of the serifs on the "s" give me hope.

Dammit...I KNEW putting that heli-pad on the roof of my house was a waste...

I laughed out loud at your reply because I actually started that paragraph with a helipad in mind as my metaphor.

It's kind of amazing how baseball manages to get played outdoors anywhere. I mean, most summers it seems like it thunderstorms every day here in Washington. Yet the Nats went like two seasons before they had their first rain cancellation. (Against the Braves, and of course I had tickets. Dammit.) The Twins likewise will do just fine. Even a seven-game World Series will only barely put the Twins in any real danger from snow, and while sure, it can get cold in early April and October, there's a difference between 30 degree temps at gametime in Minnesota and 30 degree temps at gametime in Dallas. That's well within a Minnesotan's ability to tolerate for three hours.

20082614447.png

Eh. Don't get me wrong, from the looks of it this may be a small upgrade.

But I feel like if they're gonna change, they should be more drastic with it. If they're sticking with the same basic look (which is fine), I don't know if it's worth it.

But I'm not gonna judge the whole thing from two letters either.

I wouldn't want it to be drastic, maybe the additon of an alternate jersey since they are back to one, and i would keep the pinstripes. I would ditch the M hat and have two variations of the TC one blue and one all red

moss_moon.gif

I agree with most here in thinking it will (probably) be a good "rebrand" of their current look. Personally, if the new wordmark lends itself to a better M hat, then I hope they use that instead of the TC one.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I agree with most here in thinking it will (probably) be a good "rebrand" of their current look. Personally, if the new wordmark lends itself to a better M hat, then I hope they use that instead of the TC one.

I can't imagine the TC is going anywhere. You don't see very many "M" hats at the Metrodome, or around town for that matter; they're ALL "TC."

Also, why ditch the stripes? The Twins as a franchise have had pinstripes for almost their entire history, stretching all the way back to the Senators days.

I laughed out loud at your reply because I actually started that paragraph with a helipad in mind as my metaphor.

It's kind of amazing how baseball manages to get played outdoors anywhere. I mean, most summers it seems like it thunderstorms every day here in Washington. Yet the Nats went like two seasons before they had their first rain cancellation. (Against the Braves, and of course I had tickets. Dammit.) The Twins likewise will do just fine. Even a seven-game World Series will only barely put the Twins in any real danger from snow, and while sure, it can get cold in early April and October, there's a difference between 30 degree temps at gametime in Minnesota and 30 degree temps at gametime in Dallas. That's well within a Minnesotan's ability to tolerate for three hours.

I believe Target Field will have heated seats and maybe even a heated field to be used in the colder months. (Am I right?)

I believe Target Field will have heated seats and maybe even a heated field to be used in the colder months. (Am I right?)

The Twins are paying to have the lower concourse heated.

Target Field Improvements

Heated grass too (read the penultimate paragraph).

Moose

And the people who have upper deck season tickets will be freezing our asses off during April and, dare I say it? October! :P

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Great eye on that, Moose. And if this means the end of nameplates over pinstripes for the Twins, and the death of that sleeveless number, I'll throw a parade.

I am in the minority, but I hope the Twins keep pinstripes. But since they are at a minimum going to tweak the uniform, there is no reason to keep the nameplates (assuming they keep the pinstripes). For years they have been the only team to cheapen their uniform by putting nameplates over pinstripes. They must understand it. They must have heard negative feedback. Is this their "we're poor/small market" message? Time to dump the nameplates, Twinks.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This screen-cap from tonight's Twins broadcast shows the Twins word-mark being attached above the scoreboard at Target Field, being constructed in downtown Minneapolis, MN:

snc00013.jpg

As you can see, the "n" and "s" are clearly sharper and different than the existing Twins word-mark:

Twins.67160620.gif

There has been speculation that the Twins would change their uniforms/logo for the new ballpark. This would seem to confirm that.

Moose

Maybe the Twins just hired a terrible company to make the new signage...

ducks-large.jpg

Archived