Lake County Fielders

Burmy

Is the NL that bitter about the AA split?

Yes, they are. The NL is also desperately trying to get more than 6 teams. They now have 7 and need an 8th.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/ba...m-46073572.html

There's some talk it could be an existing team currently playing in another league and/or a second team in the state of Kansas, where the Kansas City T-Bones have been a huge success on the field and off.

And there's also the possibility the league could add a travelling team for the 2010 season -- although Stavrenos all but ruled it out -- as the league had in 2002 when the Gary Southshore Railcats travelled all summer while their ballpark was still being built.

Either situation would be an improvement over the current six-team loop that sees each team play each other as many as 21 times in the regular season alone. Although you do have to wonder as a Winnipegger after awhile about a league that is adding a fourth team in the Chicago area -- and maybe a second in Kansas -- potentially leaving the Goldeyes and Fargo looking increasingly as two of those things that don't belong together, two of those things that ain't kinda the same.

That's all I have....for now.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Winnipeg needs to join the Golden League (rivalries with Calgary, Edmonton, & Victoria)

2. Fargo-Moorhead might need to disband the NL team and purchase a Northwoods League team (Alexandria, Brainerd, Rochester, St. Cloud, and I'm sure there's a few more I'm missing)

3. The league should consider teams in Minot, Grand Forks, Tri-Cities, Topeka, or somewhere else in the Heartland...

bYhYmxh.png

Winnipeg in the Golden League is akin to Abbotsford in the AHL. Travel costs, especially when it comes to a Southwestern road swing, gets a bit heavy. The only way it really works is if the rumored Saskatchewan expansion goes through, and even then, we'll see. If they came in with Fargo, though, it could work out.

Minot- population 35,000

Grand Forks- population 50,000

Tri Cities- in Washington state. Quad Cities has the River Bandits.

Topeka- a good chance for the NL

I've thought for years that the NL and the AA should kiss and make up, and start fresh, but apparently that ain't happening, regardless of Lincoln's and the Siouxs' alleged disenfranchisement with the newer circuit

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Here's the logo:

fielderslogo_full.gif

Release on www.lakecountybaseball.com

Personally, I think it's-meh. Also, I thought Comets had the most results in the poll EVERY time I checked?

I think it is beautiful! Great job! I am not sure what more you would want for a logo.

Really? This fails miserably on a number of levels, the most prevalent being the embroidery nightmare it will create. Why is it that logo designers fail to take into consideration EVERY POSSIBLE application that the logo(s) will be used?

Cards.png

Winnipeg in the Golden League is akin to Abbotsford in the AHL. Travel costs, especially when it comes to a Southwestern road swing, gets a bit heavy. The only way it really works is if the rumored Saskatchewan expansion goes through, and even then, we'll see. If they came in with Fargo, though, it could work out.

Minot- population 35,000

Grand Forks- population 50,000

Tri Cities- in Washington state. Quad Cities has the River Bandits.

Topeka- a good chance for the NL

I've thought for years that the NL and the AA should kiss and make up, and start fresh, but apparently that ain't happening, regardless of Lincoln's and the Siouxs' alleged disenfranchisement with the newer circuit

I meant the Tri-Cities in Nebraska. Kearney, Grand Island, and Hastings?

North Dakota - Would be nice to see Bismarck get a team there.

South Dakota - Rapid City would be THAT SPOT!

bYhYmxh.png

Here's the logo:

fielderslogo_full.gif

Release on www.lakecountybaseball.com

Personally, I think it's-meh. Also, I thought Comets had the most results in the poll EVERY time I checked?

I think it is beautiful! Great job! I am not sure what more you would want for a logo.

Really? This fails miserably on a number of levels, the most prevalent being the embroidery nightmare it will create. Why is it that logo designers fail to take into consideration EVERY POSSIBLE application that the logo(s) will be used?

I agree mostly with this opinion. I think it's a nice drawing, a nice piece of art, but a terrible sports "logo". I prefer logos to be simpler, more iconic, easy for kids to draw on their book covers. This is none of that. It's just a drawing of a dude with a bat in front of some corn.

The script is very nice though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There's not a lot of contrast, either. Dark red, dark blue, and dark yellow. I get that they were going for something rustic and old-timey, but I want brighter colors. Come to think of it, didn't the Flyers have a similarly dark palette?

Funny thing about that cursive F: if you question it for a moment and tell yourself "that might not necessarily be an F. It could be an italic J, but don't worry, it's probably an F," it will no longer resemble an F.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There's not a lot of contrast, either. Dark red, dark blue, and dark yellow. I get that they were going for something rustic and old-timey, but I want brighter colors. Come to think of it, didn't the Flyers have a similarly dark palette?

Funny thing about that cursive F: if you question it for a moment and tell yourself "that might not necessarily be an F. It could be an italic J, but don't worry, it's probably an F," it will no longer resemble an F.

Nah, still looks like an F to me.

I wonder if that's going to be metallic - the Brewers have a similar problem with their gold thread being represented as a too-dull color in print.

MIL_1172.gif

pMLB2-3537506dt.jpg

1. Ahh. My bad.

2. Bismarck, population ~100,000 with a baseball stadium roughly suitable for Legion ball (I believe). If there was a political will to build, it might work, but somehow I doubt it.

3. Rapid City- smaller than Bismarck, 63,000. No idea what the ballpark situation is like.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Field of Dreams, yeah yeah yeah.

Obvious conflict 1: When the Fielders are at bat, their opponents are the fielders.

Right. Though we have seen similarly illogical names in other sports, as the Chicago Blitz's offence and the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers' defenders could probably have attested.

It is definitely pretty weird to pair a logo of a guy holding a bat with the name "Fielders" -- as weird as a logo of a guy wearing a glove would be for a team named the "Sluggers".

But, come to think of it, a guy wearing a glove would have been the more appropriate logo for this team, since that would make reference to the memorable scene from the movie in which the players, wearing gloves, emerge from the cornfield.

field-of-dreams.jpg

Obvious conflict 2: You've inadvertently named the team after a prominent player on the Cubs' rivals.

Yes, that is an unfortunate coincidence. (For some reason I am thinking of the snickers occasioned by the appearance of the Orlando Magic, while Orlando Woolridge and Magic Johnson were playing with the Lakers.)

Anyway, I wonder if, all in all, "Dreamers" wouldn't have been a better name, since it is a little more sensible than "Fielders", it also refers to the movie, and it is a better fit with the bat-weilding logo.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I've never understood Bismarck's lack of baseball. Even Grand Forks and Minot had Prarie League teams (GF later Northwoods).

If we could get Bismarck on board, St Cloud, Duluth and Rochester to move up from the Northwoods, then we may have something cooking here.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Anyway, I wonder if, all in all, "Dreamers" wouldn't have been a better name, since it is a little more sensible than "Fielders", it also refers to the movie, and it is a better fit with the bat-weilding logo.

Interesting point. Sports Illustrated ran an article in the mid-'80s when it selected its dream team (with actual utility players in the utility roles). They called the teams the Baltimore Dreams (playing in Wrigley Field relocated to Baltimore for the crabcakes). I think either option would make more sense than Fielders.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1. Ahh. My bad.

2. Bismarck, population ~100,000 with a baseball stadium roughly suitable for Legion ball (I believe). If there was a political will to build, it might work, but somehow I doubt it.

3. Rapid City- smaller than Bismarck, 63,000. No idea what the ballpark situation is like.

Rapid City has Floyd Fitzgerald Stadium which seats about 3,500.

Bismarck has Bismarck Municipal Ballpark which also seats about 3,500.

Grand Island, Nebraska has Ryder Park not sure about the capacity.

Kearney, Nebraska has Kearney Memorial Field which holds about 2,000.

Hastings, Nebraska has Duncan Field which can handle 2,000.

Droppin' knowledge, yo.

The problem in many or most of these "potential" markets is the ballpark.

Like Topeka for example.

I've been told numerous times that groups interested in building a ballpark here also want to develop an area around the ballpark to make money. It's "the only way the can get a return on their investment".

It makes it difficult (certainly in this economic climate) to find the resources to do such a project.

I've been told, finding owners for a potential Topeka team isn't the issue, it's finding someone willing to invest in the development or find ways to finance it.

They've all said, revamping an existing ballfield will not work long term.

Hell, I could probably write a book about all that's happen during my five years of scheming.

I urge you to write said book.

Oh I've pondered the thought. The problem is, I've deleted a lot of old emails about the stuff that was tlaked about.

I could probably peice it together though. Maybe something like a short essay about it....

I dunno.

Archived