Local Kids Shows Of The Past

NoHoJoe

I remember The Uncle Floyd Show on the late great Channel 68 WWHT Newark, as well as reruns of Bozo The Clown, Wonderama, and even some obscure show called The Hot Fudge Show. Any takers?

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr. Dressup. I still remember wondering why Casey & Finnegan were always at the library or something, and whenever Mr. Dressup went to the library, there weren't there!

I was a little too late to enjoy The Friendly Giant... Canadian Sesame Street was a big one... and can't forget Under the Umbrella Tree. Iggy cracked 5-year-old me up!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

In New England, we had local versions of Bozo the Clown and Romper Room in both the Boston, MA and Providence, RI/New Bedford, MA markets. In Boston, Frank Avruch played Bozo. In Providence/New Bedford, I believe that Truman Taylor might have donned the clown's make-up at one point.

Greater Boston was also home to Rex Trailer's Boom Town (obviously, a Western theme) and his sidekicks Pancho (or was it Pablo?) and Sergeant Billy. Major Mudd (an astronaut/space theme) was also a hit.

Captain Bob Cottle had a show with a seafaring theme in Boston, as did Salty Brine (Salty's Shack) in Providence.

Willy Whistle was a clown who "spoke" in a series of high-pitched whistles.

My older cousins in Hartford, CT remember The Ranger Andy Show.

My father recalls Big Brother Bob Emory, Bunker Hill (an old train conductor) and Marilyn and the Calico Donkey.

The last of the locally-produced, Boston-based shows that I remember were Jabberwocky and WGBH's ZOOM (which was also aired nationally on other PBS stations).

Brian in Boston

For me there was Mr. Dressup, Today's Special and Polka Dot Door and so much more....

http://members.rogers.com/ambrozic/tvo/tvohome.html

Carbon copy... I think all Canadian kids born in the early 80s are the same...

don't forget:

Fred Penner; Sharon, Lois, & Bram; Under the Umbrella Tree

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

don't forget:

Fred Penner... yeah... him too.

Funny bit of information... before I was old enough to be able to tell time, my parents used to indicate how long something would last in terms of a certain number of "Mr. Dressup"s... ie. my nap would last 2 Mr. Dressups (ie. 1 hour)... of course, this meant absolutely nothing to me, since Mr. Dressup seemed to fly by, and my nap seemed to last forever.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I remember Captain Bob! Of course, his show was on at 5:30am. He was the only artist I saw on TV until William Alexander/Bob Ross (happy little trees). Capt. Bob would stand in front of his easel and show kids how to draw animals. Real authentic audubon society-quality illustrations, with "crayons" (I think they were charcoal or pastels). I don't know any other show since his that showed you how to draw a polar bear, harbor seal, or a squirrel.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

For me there was Mr. Dressup, Today's Special and Polka Dot Door and so much more....

don't forget:

Agreed! I also grew up with PBS shows like 3-2-1 contact, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiege and Square One Television. I really liked MATHNET.

Thought: I remember a show called Smith and Smith spoofing Polkaroo with Jerkaroo.... ah never mind....

I forgot to mention Telefrancais and that 'ananas' help me through French class!

Ah yes, I remember Sharon Lois and Bram....

Skinnamarinkydinkydink

Skinnamarinkydoo

I - Love - You!!

Skinnamarinkydinkydink

Skinnamarinkydoo

I - Love - You!!

I love you in the morning and in the afternoon

I love you in the evening, underneath the moon

Skinnamarinkydinkydink

Skinnamarinkydoo

I - Love - You!!

I saw, I came, I left.

I remember The Uncle Floyd Show on the late great Channel 68 WWHT Newark, as well as reruns of Bozo The Clown, Wonderama, and even some obscure show called The Hot Fudge Show. Any takers?

Bozo, Wonderama and Romper Room were all a part of my youth as well.

And frankly I had all but given up hope of anyone else remembering Hot Fudge - there's nothing about it on the net. It used to run at 1 p.m. on Channel 4 in St. Louis back when it was still called KMOX-TV. It was like Sesame Street for slightly older kids and was very, very 70's.

Aren't there any people that remember any of the following:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

Thundercats

I mean those are the shows i watched, and i would watch them now if they were still on.

We are more or less really talking about local kids educational productions. I remember Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers very well. Not so much about Thundercats though

http://www.80schildren.com/television/default.htm

OMG, I forgot Romper Room? :cursing:

I saw, I came, I left.

don't forget:

Agreed! I also grew up with PBS shows like 3-2-1 contact, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiege and Square One Television. I really liked MATHNET.

Thought: I remember a show called Smith and Smith spoofing Polkaroo with Jerkaroo.... ah never mind....

I forgot to mention Telefrancais and that 'ananas' help me through French class!

MATHNET... that was funny...

Telefrancais is something we watched in Gr. 5 and 6 French classes... "Jacques et Sophieeeee! Jacques et Sophieeeee!" I still remember those stupid skeletons singing "Bienvenue, bienvenue!" Crazy attempts at teaching kids french...

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego... with those ridiculous outfits and that crazy final game with all the spinning lights on little lampposts...

Ghostwriter was another weird show...

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Oh I recall Uncle Floyd too what was the name of his puppet?

I recall soem of the people he hjad on his show like Muggsy, who later had a good community access show called the 11th Hour, which was quite different to say the least.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The last of the locally-produced, Boston-based shows that I remember were Jabberwocky and WGBH's ZOOM (which was also aired nationally on other PBS stations).

I used to watch ZOOM every day. That was an awesome show in the first season, then it got progressively worse. That Caroline girl's probably gonna be on that show 'til she's 25. :D

Shows I used to watch... Hmm... Since we're on the subject of PBS shows, I've seen every last one of 'em. My favorite was Bill Nye, the Science Guy....

"BILL-BILL-BILL-BILL-BILL-BILL-BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY!!!"

I remember even older ones. Magic School Bus, Square One (math), etc. etc. Oh, yeah, a really old one that was made at the U. of Tennessee and broadcast nation-wide... Amigos!

"Hola, Amigos! Hello, my friend!"

...Good times, good times.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Telefrancais, telefrancais...ce marvelleuix, ce magnifique! TELEFRANCAIS!

Then that talking pineapple came on the screen.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Mr. Dressup. I still remember wondering why Casey & Finnegan were always at the library or something, and whenever Mr. Dressup went to the library, there weren't there!

I was a little too late to enjoy The Friendly Giant... Canadian Sesame Street was a big one... and can't forget Under the Umbrella Tree. Iggy cracked 5-year-old me up!

This is where we show our age gap, Sy...cuz I grew up with Uncle Bob & Archie.

Uncle Bob was a guy my dad actually went to school with, who was a ventriloquist, and he had 4 or 5 puppets...ARchie Wood, Tammy True, who was Archie in drag, Petite the dog, and Marvin Mouse. The best part was when these things would "sing", which meant they played the same song per character each time presumably while the guy had a drink or a smoke off-screen.

It was soon replaced with Yogi Bear reruns, then "Skittlebits" with local singing sensation Joey Gregorash.

My favorites were when they played the old Rankin-Bass Wizard of Oz and Pinocchio cartoons....those were classics. THOSE need to be on DVD...

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Little Me had the best of both worlds - Buffalo and Toronto TV stations. I used to watch Sesame Street on PBS, and then an hour later watch the same episode in French on CBC. Never picked up a word of the language though...hmmm.

I used to watch Romper Room, Mr. Dressup (he looks a bit like my grandfather), and the above mentioned Sesame Streets.

I also remember a show called "Pinwheel", but I can't remember what station it was on.. I just remember it seemed like it was on for hours every day. Anyone heard of that?

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Archived