Boise State unveiling new uniforms tomorrow

IWORSHIPBENDER

And BYU looked nice once the NCAA made them get rid of the bib (and yes, I'm biased).

You're not alone. I loved those BYU jerseys. Those and the old Arizona jerseys are the two I miss most in college football right now.

And the new BSU ones are just awful. Really, there was nothing wrong with their current set.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IUTNQMYYNBBFMKT.20090601153259.jpgCIRPLKHTDDXKNNL.20090601154834.jpg

ESBTSSIASKIYFDT.20090601151446.jpgSDLJHPNRRHSUDUD.20090601151453.jpg

They're not terrible.

But they're nothing spectactular, but I do kinda like the gray.

I don't, however, like how the blue jersey has that stripe on the back of the jersey, but the white jersey doesn't.

And that gap in the butt striping looks pretty bad.

L. A. M. E. !

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

I try to think of a college football team's recent "modernization" that Nike has actually pulled off well. I try but I fail. I hate meaningless piping, thus I hate any recent Nike design.

They got Oregon State right, once they ditched the sports bra look.

And BYU looked nice once the NCAA made them get rid of the bib (and yes, I'm biased).

luke-staley.jpgbrandon-doman.jpg

Question...what made BYU switch to those colors in the first place, anyway? Were they not happy with the royal & white they had, or were they anxious to jump on a "trend bandwagon" back in those days? I was always curious when they first did that.

They actually made the announcement that they were going to begin unifying the sports teams in with a standard color/identity system back in spring of 1997. Part of the announcement included a darkening of the blue, since most of the merchandise being purchased and worn by students was a darker, but not quite navy, blue. Supposedly, BYU was a darker blue up until the late 1960s, but I don't know if I buy that. It took until the 1999 before the rebranding was unveiled, including the bibbed-Nike uniforms. The bibs thankfully only lasted one season before the NCAA said no more. The uniforms pictured lasted four more years, then they unveiled those Jets-style uniforms that lasted only a season.

The when Coach Mendenhall was hired, he and Coach LaVell Edwards pressed Nike to allow BYU to switch back to the current retro-themed uniforms they wear today. Along with that, the tan accent color was scaled back and the Oval Y helmet logo became the favored logo for all sports. It's too bad, too, because I think the logos in the new identity--including the one in my avatar--were quite well done. They're still in use, but the Oval Y dominates, which is weird because before the '99 rebranding, the Oval Y was football only, while the Block Y was the most prevalent.

Anyway, back on the topic, I don't like the BSU uniform update. What they had before, though templates, were pretty solid. The biggest change needed, as many have alluded to, is to fix the helmet logo so that it's either a bronco logo only or a wordmark only, but not both.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

As an Oregon jersey supporter/fan I must say these suck and I am not a fan of these. These look like a 10 year old kid designed them. I don't know what look they were going for but they failed.

As an Oregon jersey supporter/fan I must say these suck and I am not a fan of these. These look like a 10 year old kid designed them. I don't know what look they were going for but they failed.

re-reads post

You do realize the inherent oxymoronic-ness of this post, right? ^_^

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

re-reads post

You do realize the inherent oxymoronic-ness of this post, right? ^_^

Yes, that's why I made it obvious..but seriously, a man can dislike one uni and support another, that's how I am. Oregon's are not as over the top as Boise St.'s, most people would agree there.

Archived