Charlotte Bobcats New Uniforms (anyone have any inside info?)

$teauA

What could they be named then that has to do with Charlotte? Hornets was relevant but we can't do that. Charlotte is most known for banking and NASCAR. Neither of those give you many good options for an NBA team name. Any ideas?

Hornets is clearly better than anything else for a Charlotte team, but since they can't use that, then they might as well stick with Bobcats. There's no rule that says the team has to have a name derived from the city's identity. Sure it sucks that Bob Johnson named the team after himself, but it's still a better name than Dragons or Flight. And it's much less generic than Cougars, though people seem to think it's a more generic name because every team named the Wildcats seems to use a bobcat as their mascot.

As for the uniforms, sure the primary wordmark and logo suck, but I liked the color scheme and original uniform design, as well as the alternate logo and arched wordmark from the NASCAR alt. The only drastic change they need is to get rid of Bob Johnson, which thankfully is in the works.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know this whole Jazz = New Orleans debate is beating a dead horse, but don't you feel that the Jazz have established such a strong history in Utah that returning the name to New Orleans would be even worse? What if the Lakers were to relinquish their name to Minneapolis? Do you really think that anyone would be in favor of that?

Of course no one would favor that. Primarily because Minnesotans now have a new team with a much better nickname. Now if they could swap actual teams on the other hand. . .

So, by your definition, the Los Angeles 49ers, Pittsburgh 76ers, and Dallas Astros make sense?

Damn. I just looked back over the thread and realized 49ersfan beat me to the punch with my city-swapping metaphor. This must be what it feels like when someone comes up with the idea of returning Hornets to Charlotte and Jazz to New Orleans, only to have everyone on the boards complain about how many times someone else has brought up this same exact idea.

So, by your definition, the Los Angeles 49ers, Pittsburgh 76ers, and Dallas Astros make sense?

Damn. I just looked back over the thread and realized 49ersfan beat me to the punch with my city-swapping metaphor. This must be what it feels like when someone comes up with the idea of returning Hornets to Charlotte and Jazz to New Orleans, only to have everyone on the boards complain about how many times someone else has brought up this same exact idea.

Heh, I noticed the same thing but didn't bring it up. I find it amusing we even had 2 of the 3 same ideas.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

If you wanted to go with the NASCAR theme, how about the Charlotte Racers?

Too close to Pacers for it to work, IMO. Charlotte Thunder is already taken, Charlotte Checkers works better for hockey, Charlotte Speed is too cheesy.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Utah's nickname...The Beehive State...just sayin

deadhorse.gif

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Bobcats is a fairly silly name, but think about it, so is Lakers for example, on paper. All these things are linked to history. If the B-Cats started winning, the name would seem less silly.

On the uniform changes, didn't the franchise announce a while back that it was planning to switch to a mainly blue, rather than mainly orange uniform? I'd think this is that switch, and taking the opportunity for a redesign.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Wonder if they're going with Gameplan again?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In a Utopian NBA, Utah would relinquish their team name to New Orleans, who would relinquish theirs to Charlotte. Charlotte Hornets, New Orleans Jazz, and Utah whatever. Ah how sweet that would be.

Almost there. You have to start with Memphis relinquishing the Grizzlies name to Utah (sounds good, right? Utah Grizzlies), who then relinquishes the Jazz nickname to New Orleans, who relinquishes the Hornets nickname to Charlotte. Then you're free to introduce the Memphis Blues, an excellent nickname for that city (also begets a natural rivalry with the New Orleans Jazz), leaving you with:

Charlotte Hornets

New Orleans Jazz

Memphis Blues

Utah Grizzlies

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

In a Utopian NBA, Utah would relinquish their team name to New Orleans, who would relinquish theirs to Charlotte. Charlotte Hornets, New Orleans Jazz, and Utah whatever. Ah how sweet that would be.

Almost there. You have to start with Memphis relinquishing the Grizzlies name to Utah (sounds good, right? Utah Grizzlies), who then relinquishes the Jazz nickname to New Orleans, who relinquishes the Hornets nickname to Charlotte. Then you're free to introduce the Memphis Blues, an excellent nickname for that city (also begets a natural rivalry with the New Orleans Jazz), leaving you with:

Charlotte Hornets

New Orleans Jazz

Memphis Blues

Utah Grizzlies

I've thought of that too, but instead of Blues, Memphis should get the Kings nickname (Their uniforms would naturally include blue shoes) which would then free up Sacramento to get the best name in all of sports by becoming the Sacramento Eucharists.

Did it really? Does it have any historical significance? Or is it just a jab at how the previous franchise skipped town?

In any event, and off-topic, I know, but I'm new here. Can anyone tell me what I need to do or who I need to contact to be able to start a thread?

If the above is an example of your "wit", there is no need for you to start a thread around here, you bring nothing new or constructive to the table.

On the Flight...

READ DUMMY!

Thank you for the warm welcome, rams80. fyi, the FAQ doesn't say what you need to do to create a thread. Thanks to your helpful advice, I took a second look at the thread and found that information towards the bottom of the first page. It's a good thing I scrolled through posts completely useless to my search, but I had that burning desire to find this information that I was apparently not bright enough to find the first time. So thanks again for that.

On Kitty Hawk,

it's no where near Charlotte. I suppose it's only common sense for me to know that "Flight" when used as a nickname for a team based in Charlotte must refer to Kitty Hawk, all the way on the other side of the state. Because, you know it's common knowledge.

Incidentally, were you one of those kids growing up that found it hard to make friends, so when someone new moved into the block you made it a point to pick on them out of fear your only friend would like them better than you?

and btw, I'm sure you already know this, being the sultan of all things Charlotte, but the Hornets name was a reference to Gen. Cornwallis' remarks of Charlotte being a Hornets nest. A lot more fitting than a reference to something that happened (as someone else pointed out in this thread) 300 miles away. So you'll forgive me if the idea didn't rush to the front of my train of thought.

But this isn't Charlotte's team. It's North Carolina's team. The original Billcats logo is in the rough shape of the state as a result of this. Perhaps a more statewide relevant nickname like the Flight would be in order.

As for the "new kid on the block" thing... I'm Aspy. What are friends? :P I only criticize (or notice) new people if they ask questions or bring up ideas that have been repeatedly brought up before as if this is the first time such things have come up.

In your defense on the Cardinals notlogo, though, I doubt this board has an image search function, so you can't answer your question using the search tool.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

But this isn't Charlotte's team. It's North Carolina's team.

Perhaps ownership should have opted for a placename other than "Charlotte". Whatever could they have used?

Perhaps a more statewide relevant nickname like the Flight would be in order.

Perhaps a more statewide relevant placename - like "Carolina" - would be in order, as well.

I only criticize (or notice) new people if they ask questions or bring up ideas that have been repeatedly brought up before as if this is the first time such things have come up.

You should work on that, as your repeated criticism runs the risk of becoming just as off-putting as the repeated raising of previously-mentioned ideas.

Since Bob Johnson is selling the team now, I think the new owner should rename them the "Charlotte Flight" (which actually did win the name-the-team contest, but he ignored...)

Keep the colors though...

Agreed all across the board.

The name Flight was the cream of that crop and the fans liked it as well..

Too bad Bob Johnson had a huge ego...

I don't think the franchise ever recovered from the naming fiasco. The fans had spoken, yet Bob Johnson in his almighty hubris decides to name the team AFTER himself.

Carolina then knew that this was a penny-ante operation and henceforth afforded the franchise the respect and attention it deserved: none.

Bobcats is a better name than Flight, though. Not even the first time a name-the-team winner has been thrown out: we could be watching the San Jose Blades and Oakland Senors.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived