Charlotte Bobcats New Uniforms (anyone have any inside info?)

$teauA

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the Cougars name has already been mentioned in this thread (though I'm too lazy to read back through to confirm)...how'z 'bout bringing back the Carolina Cougars of the ABA days? Wouldn't be the first time a major pro-league team borrowed (lifted?) the identity of a former team, be it minor league or otherwise (I'm looking at the San Diego Padres here). From what I understand, fans in the Charlotte area really put their support behind that team back in those days, so I don't think fan support would be the issue (unless the next owner rubs folks the same way Bob Johnson did/might still be doing).

Plus, there's also this element: cats are fast runners, right? What else goes fast and is popular in the Carolina area? Race cars. (For Pete's sake, Rickey Bobby had a cougar in the backseat of his car in the movie--not that that's the best argument to support this post, but still...) I'm sure the next group that takes over can find some way to tie those two things--cats and racing--together to create a nice, new identity.

(In fact...I may have just given myself, or several other people, a creative spark for a future concept...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

From what I understand, fans in the Charlotte area really put their support behind that team back in those days,

Actually, the Cougars played most of their home games in Greensboro. They split their games between there, Charlotte, and Raleigh. I'm not 100% sure about the support, but I think Greensboro had the most, which is why they played there the most often.

(Loose Balls is my favorite book, BTW.)

I believe the Cougars name has already been mentioned in this thread (though I'm too lazy to read back through to confirm)...how'z 'bout bringing back the Carolina Cougars of the ABA days?

As I've already said, the name Cougars is much more generic and high-schoolish than Bobcats, so i don't see that as a worthwhile upgrade. And I really can't see an NBA team going by anything other than Charlotte, since someone else has a pretty tight grip on the Carolina Basketball brand.

I believe the Cougars name has already been mentioned in this thread (though I'm too lazy to read back through to confirm)...how'z 'bout bringing back the Carolina Cougars of the ABA days?

As I've already said, the name Cougars is much more generic and high-schoolish than Bobcats, so i don't see that as a worthwhile upgrade. And I really can't see an NBA team going by anything other than Charlotte, since someone else has a pretty tight grip on the Carolina Basketball brand.

In that case, I'll defer to your opinion then. You're the resident Carolina expert there.

(Understand I don't mean that sarcastically; I mean you would literally know more than I would since you're from down that way/live there, I presume.)

Given the right branding package, I think "Carolina Cougars" could be given a chance to work. Well that and a decent product on the floor, too. That's always key.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Bobcats is a better name than Flight, though.

Really? I don't think that at all.

You guys give "Bobcats" crap about being too middle-schooly. And what is "the Flight" but a park district soccer team? Even the WNBA would think that's too abstract and wispy. Sky. Storm. Shock. Flight! Charlotte is as good a place as any to have a team named for some sort of hardy mountain-based cat.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've already stated my reasons for disliking the name Bobcats, but I'll concede that it's better than "flight". I'm not sure what the proper grammatical term is for what the word "flight" is in this context, but whatever it is, it isn't right for a sports team.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Flight is no more abstract than Magic.

What's your point? Nobody is arguing that Magic is a good name either.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I dunno, I always thought Flight would be a pretty good nickname in a horrible, Jordan-jocking way.

"Flight" wouldn't have been a bad nickname at all. I mean, it does relate to the sport itself as MJ originally played ball in North Carolina, not just the "First Flight".

Rumor was that the Orlando Magic were named, in a way, to honor Earvin "Magic" Johnson. I'm not sure if that rumor has any truth behind it at all, but was something I heard on several occasions back during the team's infancy.

6uXNWAo.png

I just assumed it had everything to do with Disney... "Magic Kingdom".

Yeah that's gotta be it. For the Magic not to be named the Magic because of DisneyWorld would have to be one of the biggest coincidences in the history of American sports.

With that said...any hot leads on the new uniforms?

• 3 weeks later...
The Bobcats announced towards the end of last season that they would be debuting all new uniforms sets this season. The official online store is a clear indication of that as well as all their current jerseys are on ridiculous sales.

Personally I'm thrilled that they'll finally be getting rid of the hideous unis they've had since year one. As a Bobcats fan, it has been hard to watch them night in and night out wearing those things so I'm looking forward to the change.

Check this out as well http://store.shopbobcats.com/bobcats-jerseys.html

Sooooo, any new info here? Gerald Henderson and Derrick Brown have been shown with the same jerseys the Bobcats already wear and nothing has been said that would even hint at new jerseys. However the NBA Store still has all Bobcats jerseys at 40% off, and the official Bobcats team shop on their website has no jerseys for sale at all. It just says "More items coming soon." So, new jerseys? Or just trying to get people to actually buy Bobcats merchandise?

capt.6cb47b9aebcd477890ff2cace1c3c908.bobcats_draft_basketball_nccb103.jpg

I vaguely recall when the Bobcats first announced this a year or two back that they were just going to use the blue third as the road jersey, but the sale thing does hint at a new jersey??

They already did that last year though. It wouldn't be new for this year.

Even though Bob Johnspn is a crap owner, he still does not compare to the atrocious owner we have here in LA, for LA's other team. Ahh, if only he could leave the Clips, like Johnson is leaving the Bobcats, then we could have two pretty good teams instead of the Clips just hogging up space. While the Lakers keep raising championship banners (Which I don't really mind :P)

PS:

I do like the Bobcats Orange Uni. It is unique although I'd like it if the used the template they use for the blue for both, Orange and White jerseys.

Archived