Most Overused Nicknames in Sports

hettinger_rl

Whenever i look through CCSL I can't help but think that there are so many College and Pro teams that seem like they just weren't trying very hard to come up with a nickname and just picked a popular one. Because of this we have too look through a huge selection of certain nicknames. Example: Tigers, Bulldogs, Eagles, (post your least favorite).

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine has to be bulldogs. Tons of high school teams use it as well as college. I've never understood why it's so popular. Bulldogs don't really seem like a sort of dog that would tear your head of or something. I don't know why, I just don't like it.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

In Division 1

13: Bulldogs

12: Tigers

10: Eagles

9: Wildcats

7: Bears

7: Panthers

5: Cougars

5: Huskies

5: Spartans

5: Rams

4: Bobcats

4: Aggies

4: Bisons

4: Owls

4: Hawks

4: Golden Eagles

If anyone can put all those nicknames to those schools be my guest.

Mine has to be the Wildcats very cliche in movies involving pee-wee, bantam, midget football teams, high schools or made up universities

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Eagles. By far. Not in the pros -- though there are more than enough eagles or eagle-variants at all levels of professional sports. But it often seems like half the high schools in America are the eagles. Not only was my own high school back in the day the Eagles, so were two other schools in its small conference. Now, the recently opened high school in my neighborhood, Freedom High School, is the eagles. And the next county over also has a Freedom High School, and their mascot is ... drumroll please ... the eagles!

Eagles is to team names what red and blue are to team colors.

20082614447.png

Trojans. It's not just that it's overused in sports, but it goes way back, well beyond the naming of teams. Why are people so fascinated by such a lousy civilization? They're known for losing a war, and being gullible idiots. And that's if they even existed in the first place.

I'd also have to say bulldogs, for the same reasons that CAB said.

spacer.png

Trojans. It's not just that it's overused in sports, but it goes way back, well beyond the naming of teams. Why are people so fascinated by such a lousy civilization? They're known for losing a war, and being gullible idiots. And that's if they even existed in the first place.

Not to mention that as far most people know and/or care nowadays, a Trojan is just a phallic prophylactic. Ribbed for her pleasure, natch.

CCSLC signature.png

As a Frosh, I went to a new high school who were named "Cowboys" as more than 60% of the underclass came from a school which was nicknamed "Chiefs". Plus the other HS opened that same year was the named the "Hawks" as they took kids from a school which was nicknamed the "Eagles".

I went to two high schools, one nicknamed the "Shamrocks" the other "Celtics". Not very popular names I'd say. We did have a whole conference of cliche names though. We played Lions, Eagles, Falcons, Golden Bears, Wolfpack, 2 different Cardinals, and Patriots.

PvO6ZWJ.png

13: Bulldogs

12: Tigers

10: Eagles

9: Wildcats

7: Bears

7: Panthers

5: Cougars

5: Huskies

5: Spartans

5: Rams

4: Bobcats

4: Aggies

4: Bisons

4: Owls

4: Hawks

4: Golden Eagles

And a partridge in a pear tree...

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Our district had a cat theme going for the high schools which was fine. But at the explosive rate we've grown, all the old chestnuts (Mustangs, Spartans, Rams, Golden Eagles, Wildcats, etc.) have shown up. Worse still is that a number of schools started to use NFL logos but since the NFL doesn't have Bobcats, Spartans, etc. there are huge swings in logo quality.

I would have rather liked to see the cat theme continue until we had Ocelots, Servals, and Kodkods.

Archived