2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

Because a lot of us are already pumped for the upcoming season, and discussion seems to be floating around already, the thread is now up and running!

I just want to say one quick thing about the Gophers, because I can't go one post in an NCAA thread without talking about them: TCF Bank Stadium is looking beautiful right now, and I am looking for an early upset over Cal before conference games start. It would be nice to see a couple conference upsets too, but for now I'm just asking for Cal.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

schedule for USAFA (from wikipedia)

Date Opponent Location Time/Result

Sep. 5, 2009 Nicholls State USAFA 12:00 p.m. MT (win)

Sep. 12, 2009 Minnesota Minneapolis, MN TBA (lose)

Sep. 19, 2009 New Mexico Albuquerque, NM 5:30 p.m. MT (win)

Sep. 26, 2009 San Diego State USAFA 12:00 p.m. MT (win)

Oct. 3, 2009 Navy Annapolis, MD 3:30 p.m. ET (win)

Oct. 10, 2009 TCU USAFA 5:30 p.m. MT (lose)

Oct. 17, 2009 Wyoming USAFA 12:00 p.m. MT (win)

Oct. 24, 2009 Utah Salt Lake City, UT 2:00 p.m. MT (lose)

Oct. 31, 2009 Colorado State Fort Collins, CO 2:00 p.m. MT (win)

Nov. 7, 2009 Army USAFA 1:30 p.m. MT (win)

Nov. 14, 2009 UNLV USAFA 4:00 p.m. MT (win)

Nov. 21, 2009 BYU Provo, UT 1:15 p.m. MT (lose)

should go to a bowl.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

schedule for USAFA (from wikipedia)

Date Opponent Location Time/Result

Sep. 5, 2009 Nicholls State USAFA 12:00 p.m. MT (win)

Sep. 12, 2009 Minnesota Minneapolis, MN TBA (lose)

Sep. 19, 2009 New Mexico Albuquerque, NM 5:30 p.m. MT (win)

Sep. 26, 2009 San Diego State USAFA 12:00 p.m. MT (win)

Oct. 3, 2009 Navy Annapolis, MD 3:30 p.m. ET (win)

Oct. 10, 2009 TCU USAFA 5:30 p.m. MT (lose)

Oct. 17, 2009 Wyoming USAFA 12:00 p.m. MT (win)

Oct. 24, 2009 Utah Salt Lake City, UT 2:00 p.m. MT (lose)

Oct. 31, 2009 Colorado State Fort Collins, CO 2:00 p.m. MT (win)

Nov. 7, 2009 Army USAFA 1:30 p.m. MT (win)

Nov. 14, 2009 UNLV USAFA 4:00 p.m. MT (win)

Nov. 21, 2009 BYU Provo, UT 1:15 p.m. MT (lose)

should go to a bowl.

First game at TCF Bank Stadium BTW.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Florida-Texas National Championship

Missouri could fight it out in the Big 12 north but I think ultimately Nebraska or Kansas will walk into the Big 12 title game and get there ass kicked but I think the bad news for the rest of the Big 12 North is that Nebraska is getting back to the old Nebraska they've recruited really well and I think that is what that program needs.

And this could be the year we see a Florida State-Miami ACC Title game both Shannon and Bowden have recruited beautifully and down the road both could be threats for the National Title be back like it was in the mid to late 90's and early 2000's.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

This season marks the first season for two new football programs, Georgia State and Old Dominion. As most teams are when joining D-I, they'll be Independents this year.

Georgia State begins play in 2010.

I think UGA will be able to sneak up on some folks this year. Losing Stafford and Moreno won't be as bad as some folks think. The defense will be better this season, that's for sure. I can easily see this team going 10-2.

I think it'll be Florida and Ole Miss in the SEC Championship, with Florida getting revenge for last season's game in the Swamp.

By the way, SEC fans: SEC Media Days are this week.

So...does anyone think the BSBCS National Champion will come from outside the SEC or Big XII? I sure don't.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

So...does anyone think the BSBCS National Champion will come from outside the SEC or Big XII? I sure don't.

I really doubt it but if it isn't Florida from the SEC it will be USC vs. (Insert Big 12 South Team not named Baylor or Texas A&M)

But whoever wins the starting job at USC either Mitch Mustain or Garrett Green (most likely Mustain) but either one will have to follow up to what the past has done with the Starting QB job at USC but one thing can be known that USC will lose at least one game (@ Oregon) but enough teams in the polls ahead of them will drop out and USC will just be siting and waiting to pounce up and take that 2nd spot in the National Championship.

I thought Aaron Corp had the inside track on being the starter at USC? He started the Spring game and Pete Carroll even said Corp will be 1st on the depth chart going into fall practices. Mustain was the can't miss prospect that clearly did and super-freshman Matt Barkley probably won't be ready (I think they should redshirt him).

Either way, I can't see the Trojans having anything other than a "down" year by their recent standards.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I second the redshirting of Barkley but I haven't seen Corp play all I know is he's a sophomore I believe thing is that Green is a Senior and he could challenge but I guess will find out soon enough

Cupcake yes but if they lose to Ohio State but run the table in the Pac 10 who knows but thing with my prediction of USC losing to Oregon is that it might happen to late in the season and if we have anything like 2007 where number 2 drops like flies every week that could erase a USC shot at a National Title.

This season marks the first season for two new football programs, Georgia State and Old Dominion. As most teams are when joining D-I, they'll be Independents this year.

Old Dominion begins play this season and will be a FCS Indy until 2011, when they join the CAA.

Georgia State begins next season and will be an FCS Indy as well. The only exception is that they'll have to wait until 2012 to join the CAA.

Other D-I schools that are starting football include:

-South Alabama (Club program this season, full program next year. Plans to join Sun Belt in 2013)

-Lamar (Starts in 2010, joins Southland in 2011)

-UT San Antonio (Starts in 2011)

-Charlotte (Starts in 2013)

If USC goes undefeated, they're going to go to the 'ship and might win Then again, like capp said, there's a better chance that USC's going to lose to some team that they have ABSOLUTELY no business losing to than them running the table en route to the 'ship.

But yeah, I'd be highly surprised if the NC isn't between the SEC Champion and a Big XII south team. I kinda hope that some 2007 craziness occurs this year.

EDIT: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Old Dominion begins play this season and will be a FCS Indy until 2011, when they join the CAA.

Georgia State begins next season and will be an FCS Indy as well. The only exception is that they'll have to wait until 2012 to join the CAA.

Other D-I schools that are starting football include:

-South Alabama (Club program this season, full program next year. Plans to join Sun Belt in 2013)

-Lamar (Starts in 2010, joins Southland in 2011)

-UT San Antonio (Starts in 2011)

-Charlotte (Starts in 2013)

Charlotte's chances at getting a football squad are looking grim. They only sold about 20% of the PSL's they needed to raise money for the program.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

I second the redshirting of Barkley but I haven't seen Corp play all I know is he's a sophomore I believe thing is that Green is a Senior and he could challenge but I guess will find out soon enough

Cupcake yes but if they lose to Ohio State but run the table in the Pac 10 who knows but thing with my prediction of USC losing to Oregon is that it might happen to late in the season and if we have anything like 2007 where number 2 drops like flies every week that could erase a USC shot at a National Title.

Garrett Green may not even be 3rd string, depending on how Pete wants to handle Barkley.

Corp is #1 in the clubhouse right now. It's his job to lose. I saw him plenty of times in high school on film and up close once or twice to know that this guy can play. He is the real deal.

Depth Chart is Corp, Mustain, Barkley, Green. I doubt we'll see much of Barkley this season, but even if Corp goes out and has a stellar season, he will still have to fight off Barkley next season as well. Barkley started on Mater Dei's varsity as a freshman. I remember in high school we were studying film and the game we were watching was against Mater Deit. Barkley was tearing up the field and half-way through out coach told us that Barkley was a freshman. I could not believe that.

If Corp wants his job secure next season, he has to perform to the utmost high. He can't allow those state-of-Oregon-road-game mishaps to continue to follow this team around.

USC's only troubles this season should be at Ohio State and at Oregon.

I think that USC will have to win against Ohio State in the same way they did last season, with their defensive speed. USC took some big losses on the defensive side, but the overall speed and quick hits are there. The line and linebackers just need to contain Pryor, and I'm almost positive that USC will have Taylor Mays stalk Pryor all game. Mays is an absolute beast. And while Ohio State has their own stout defense, USC has the speed and the big guys up front to handle OSU again. USC continues to get the biggest and baddest lineman on the west coast, and they have Joel McKnight in the backfield. Reggie Bush 2.0 just needs to do his thing. Corp is accurate and can get it out and up to the bevy of wideouts and underneath to the tight ends.

With Oregon, USC can defeat Oregon. They outclass them in almsot every area. THey just need to get over the mental hump that is the state of Oregon itself. They come off a bye-week, a blow over at Notre Dame, and then a home game of revenge against the Oregon State. Those will be two consecutive big emotion games for the Trojans. As long as they can either keep up the intensity for this game going into the final stretch of the season, they will be set. They've got to expel the demons at some point.

If USC survives the trips to the Horseshoe and Oregon (and I fully believe they can), they will be undefeated and in the BCS title game.

FIGHT ON!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

There goes Miss State's season.

Yeah, pretty much. If Dixon ain't playing, our offense is done because, according to what I've seen during the offseason, the Dogs currently do NOT have the experienced personnel to run Mullen's spread offense. Maybe in a year or two, but not now. If he can't run the ball for a full slate, we're screwed.

Archived