2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because a lot of us are already pumped for the upcoming season, and discussion seems to be floating around already, the thread is now up and running!

I just want to say one quick thing about the Gophers, because I can't go one post in an NCAA thread without talking about them: TCF Bank Stadium is looking beautiful right now, and I am looking for an early upset over Cal before conference games start. It would be nice to see a couple conference upsets too, but for now I'm just asking for Cal.

Your corner Traye Simmons played for my high school when I was there. We went 19-1 while he was there. On all levels, high school, college, nfl...he was by far one of the most exciting athletes Ive ever watched. Interesting how he ended up in Minnesota, but yall got one of the best corners in the nation!

Because a lot of us are already pumped for the upcoming season, and discussion seems to be floating around already, the thread is now up and running!

I just want to say one quick thing about the Gophers, because I can't go one post in an NCAA thread without talking about them: TCF Bank Stadium is looking beautiful right now, and I am looking for an early upset over Cal before conference games start. It would be nice to see a couple conference upsets too, but for now I'm just asking for Cal.

Your corner Traye Simmons played for my high school when I was there. We went 19-1 while he was there. On all levels, high school, college, nfl...he was by far one of the most exciting athletes Ive ever watched. Interesting how he ended up in Minnesota, but yall got one of the best corners in the nation!

It will be interesting to see how our D is this year. We lost a couple important pieces up front and in our linebacking core, but the secondary should be pretty solid.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Syracuse Football... It's gonna be HUUUGGGGEEEEEEEEAHH! 060705%20Fuccillo%201ac.JPG

.........if Marrone does a good job and hell, anything's gotta be better than the past 4 years under Robinson. Hopefully the Dome will be rockin' this year for a few games, too.

That being said, I can't see the Orange winning more than 5 games. I feel Marrone will provide a good foundation for the next few seasons, though. Oh, and we got a media frenzy with Greg Paulus, too.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Nebraska is on their way back to dominance. Pelini has the right formula and recruiting is going well. That being said, this year will be along the lines of 9-3, north division champs, and getting blownout in the Big XII title game. But overall, it's another step in the right direction.

glossysig5.png

Nebraska is on their way back to dominance. Pelini has the right formula and recruiting is going well. That being said, this year will be along the lines of 9-3, north division champs, and getting blownout in the Big XII title game. But overall, it's another step in the right direction.

Dominance? What does that really mean? Before 1996, the school had how many bowl games for a national title and loss? Solich was 9-3 or better and got canned (rightfully so as that style of football cannot win today, but he had wins). Sadly, for teh Big XII North, OU and Texas will continue to get better players due to numbers of athletes in TX and LA. The Huskers need to hit California and Florida again and that is a totally different landscape than even ten years ago. Just because the NE prep schools have changed offensive schemes does not mean immediate success. That VaTech game is HUGE for their national image and the Hokies will have to play Alabama in the Georgia Dome with a QB which 'Bama fans want over John Parker Wilson.

Ehh.. In the Big Sky I wouldnt be surprised to see NAU come out strong. Im guessing they are gonna go 7-4. We should be good with Michael Herrick, a transfer from Ole Miss. We probably will lose to Ole miss And Arizona but oh well. Jerome Souers has done great in the recruiting section. so Watch Outzz!!

Ehh.. In the Big Sky I wouldnt be surprised to see NAU come out strong. Im guessing they are gonna go 7-4. We should be good with Michael Herrick, a transfer from Ole Miss. We probably will lose to Ole miss And Arizona but oh well. Jerome Souers has done great in the recruiting section. so Watch Outzz!!

Are you thinking the Jacks are gonna lose to Weber and Montana in conference? They should be competitive, but I think they are a year or two away from being a contender again. I'm rooting for them, I'd love to see Montana knocked off their perch as the BSC champ.

I'm hoping App can pull off another big season. We have a scary deep team year and as long as we have a solid O-line I think we'll be able to outscore most teams. Brian Quick (6'6'' SOPH WR) is going to break out this year and I wouldn't be surprised to see players like WR Matt Cline and RB Rod Chisholm make waves on the FCS level. On D we should be more solid. After watching old games I found last year we didn't rush the QB hardly ever with the DBs. This is probably because we had our greenest defensive backfield ever with a freshman (who started on day 1 against LSU but broke his leg in practice the next week), and two sophomores starting back there. I think Coach has gained some trust in them and will let them be out there on their own more.

I've talked to a few of the players over the summer and they are hungrier than ever. They said they are ashamed of the game they played against Richmond in the playoffs and want to prove they are better than that. (A few even admitted they didn't like how they played against SCSU) I'm so ready for this season and I have tickets to every game, home and away.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Dominance? What does that really mean? Before 1996, the school had how many bowl games for a national title and loss? Solich was 9-3 or better and got canned (rightfully so as that style of football cannot win today, but he had wins). Sadly, for teh Big XII North, OU and Texas will continue to get better players due to numbers of athletes in TX and LA. The Huskers need to hit California and Florida again and that is a totally different landscape than even ten years ago. Just because the NE prep schools have changed offensive schemes does not mean immediate success. That VaTech game is HUGE for their national image and the Hokies will have to play Alabama in the Georgia Dome with a QB which 'Bama fans want over John Parker Wilson.

It means Nebraska getting back in control of the Big XII North presumably. I agree that Nebraska needs to go back to signing...umm....more morally questionable folks. You can't win with boy scouts. (Of course you can't win with double digit personal foul penalties either, but I think Pelini got that message.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It means Nebraska getting back in control of the Big XII North presumably. I agree that Nebraska needs to go back to signing...umm....more morally questionable folks. You can't win with boy scouts. (Of course you can't win with double digit personal foul penalties either, but I think Pelini got that message.)

It is a five to seven team race to Pasadena: Florida, Alabama, LSU, USC, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Texas. Those teams have the best talent and best coaching (and budgets). TCU could be that BCS buster, but they have to go to Clemson and go to BYU. Their road record is not that good, so a trip up away from Amon Carter should occur. People love OKState as a sleeper, yet they have not even sold out and they have Georgia as their opponent and UGa is a great road team; so their season may be over very early.

NOTE: It hurts me to know that I the USC/Texas game was nearly four years ago. One of the Top Five games I ever saw in person and paid face value for.

They are hitting Cal and Florida for players. That's why their recruiting is going well. And before 1996 they won national titles in 1970, 1971, 1994, and 1995 and lost the national title by a point in 1983.

glossysig5.png

It is a five to seven team race to Pasadena: Florida, Alabama, LSU, USC, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Texas. Those teams have the best talent and best coaching (and budgets). TCU could be that BCS buster, but they have to go to Clemson and go to BYU. Their road record is not that good, so a trip up away from Amon Carter should occur. People love OKState as a sleeper, yet they have not even sold out and they have Georgia as their opponent and UGa is a great road team; so their season may be over very early.

NOTE: It hurts me to know that I the USC/Texas game was nearly four years ago. One of the Top Five games I ever saw in person and paid face value for.

My two sleepers this year are Cal and Virginia Tech. USC is weaker this year than in years past, so Cal has an oppurtunity to win the Pac 10 and possibly emerge with just one loss if they play well and don't get upset. They should get out of nonconference play unscathed, but it isn't a guarantee. If they do go undefeated, all of the toughest conference games they have are at home except for playing at UCLA. I will say that playing at the Autzen Zoo will be tough for them, though. If VT can beat either Alabama or Nebraska, they will be sitting pretty. Their conference schedule is very easy, will all of the tougher games being at home except for going to ATL to play GT. I do think they should beat both Marshall and ECU, so they could easily end up with one loss after all is said and done.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

My team is the Florida State Seminoles. Always has been, always will be--despite the controversy that seems to stay swirling in and around Tallahassee. So, naturally, I'll pulling for them to do well, but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they had another "downish" year this year. I still think it'll take a good while before the program returns to the top of the game like it was back through most of the 90s.

However, I will say this: Bobby Bowden, love what he's done for the Seminole program, we all in Seminole nation are proud of the dadgum guy...but it's time, it's HIGH time, to let it go. Turn the reins over. Go on back to Alabama with your wifey and spend some quiet time up in the woods.

I ain't making no predictions for BCS national champion this year. I honestly don't care. Haven't for several years now. I'm sure we all know by now bowl game participants at the D-1A level are determined by popularity, not necessarily the quality of the team. The most popular programs with the most loyal largest fanbases will get the bids--period, and point blank. I'm cool with that--as much as the NCAA might try to deny it, it's a business for them, so they gon' make their money. And, unfortunately, the smaller/lesser-known schools just ain't gon' provide the ca$hflow the heads are looking for.

All that said...IF my Seminoles somehow manage to eek their way into the NC game this year--or even win their own conference championship--I'll be happier than a muckafutha.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Ole Miss will probably be in the title game if they go say 11-1 and beat Florida in the SEC Championship Game.

6fQjS3M.png

• 2 weeks later...

bumping this back up as we are merely weeks away from the first game of the season. Still thinking a 6 win season for Michigan as they will be alot better and I do think 10 wins will be something Arizona State is able to do.

Archived