2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

bumping this back up as we are merely weeks away from the first game of the season. Still thinking a 0 win season for Michigan as they will massively suck royal ass and I do think 0 wins will be something Arizona State is able to do.

Fixed for great justice!

As for Washington, I expect 4-6 wins and that's if Locker doesn't get hurt (again).

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bumping this back up as we are merely weeks away from the first game of the season. Still thinking a 6 win season for Michigan as they will massively suck royal ass and I do think 10 wins will be something Arizona State is able to do.

Fixed for great justice!

As for Washington, I expect 0-10 losses and that's if Locker doesn't get hurt (again).

sorry, at least i'm truthful :P

bumping this back up as we are merely weeks away from the first game of the season. Still thinking a 6 win season for Michigan as they will be alot better and I do think 10 wins will be something Arizona State is able to do.

Don't you have to start supporting the Jayhawks now, too? :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

bumping this back up as we are merely weeks away from the first game of the season. Still thinking a 6 win season for Michigan as they will be alot better and I do think 10 wins will be something Arizona State is able to do.

Don't you have to start supporting the Jayhawks now, too? :P

No, for the time being i'm staying in Arizona, got a new job here that's going to pay good money plus great career opportunity. Who do I look like Streeter :P

Edit: While i'm here, the Coaches poll has been announced with Florida getting 53 out of 59 of the top votes

Florida #1, Texas #2

Here's a shocker: Florida is #1 in the preseason coaches poll.

ESPN: "OMG how isn't Florida unanimous?!?"

Easy whenever Texas and Oklahoma keep the two other best quarterbacks in the Nation.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Easy whenever Texas and Oklahoma keep the two other best quarterbacks in the Nation.

Preseason polls and awards are a joke. Voters are just taking a stab at how they think the season will play out. What the hell is the point of that?

6uXNWAo.png

Preseason polls and awards are a joke. Voters are just taking a stab at how they think the season will play out. What the hell is the point of that?

Exactly. The preseason poll really should be abolished, since it basically gives the teams that are already ranked in the top an inside track. This system screwed Auburn out of the 'ship a few years ago despite the fact that they went 13-0 in the GOTDAMN SEC. Only reason that they didn't get in was because USC & Oklahoma started #1 and #2 respectively in the beginning of the season, stayed the course, and basically had an inside track to the championship game, compared to Auburn who started #17, played a MUCH more difficult schedule, finished undefeated but couldn't leap them since they'd been #1 and #2 all damn season. Just imagine how different some of these past seasons would be if there was no preseason poll. At least do what the BCS does, and wait until the middle of the season to start ranking, because doing it before the season is just nonsense and rewarding a team for what they did last year and whatever they did during the offseason.

Well if the trend continues the last three years the teams starting 1 and 2 (Florida and Texas) don't meet in the National Championship.

Also in Florida's 3 national titles they started the season outside of the top 2 so I guess we take that with a grain of salt because they are arguably the best team in the nation.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Exactly. The preseason poll really should be abolished, since it basically gives the teams that are already ranked in the top an inside track. This system screwed Auburn out of the 'ship a few years ago despite the fact that they went 13-0 in the GOTDAMN SEC. Only reason that they didn't get in was because USC & Oklahoma started #1 and #2 respectively in the beginning of the season, stayed the course, and basically had an inside track to the championship game, compared to Auburn who started #17, played a MUCH more difficult schedule, finished undefeated but couldn't leap them since they'd been #1 and #2 all damn season. Just imagine how different some of these past seasons would be if there was no preseason poll. At least do what the BCS does, and wait until the middle of the season to start ranking, because doing it before the season is just nonsense and rewarding a team for what they did last year and whatever they did during the offseason.

The pre-season polls aren't that big a deal.

Georgia started #1 last year, and had dropped to #3 before they lost a game. South Florida went from unranked in the preseason to #2 in the polls by mid-October. The voters don't shy away from dropping teams if they feel they're ranked too high.

GO FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES!!!

*AHEM* There...just had to get that out of my system.

And now, back to the 2009 the NCAA football season discussion currently in progress.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

This just in:

Here's a story that may be interesting to follow this upcoming NCAA football season: The Syracuse Orange have a new starting QB, if you believe the reports. Who might that be, you ask?

Former Duke Blue Devil basketballer Greg Paulus.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

This just in:

Here's a story that may be interesting to follow this upcoming NCAA football season: The Syracuse Orange have a new starting QB, if you believe the reports. Who might that be, you ask?

As if the Syracuse hype machine wasn't in full effect with Doug Marrone. Welp, this could be interesting. Also today it's been leaked that Syracuse will be playing USC in 2012 and Notre Dame in 2014 and 2016 at the new Meadowlands Stadium. So great, first they move the lacrosse rivalry with Princeton so I can't see that at the dome to the Meadowlands, and now they move the game against USC in my senior year there too. At least I won't complain about the 2 Notre Dame games considering that will just be a train ride away for me like it is now

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Here are some rule changes that will be in effect for this season:

Flagrant Personal Fouls (Rule 9-6). For 2009-10 the rules committee has added a new section that calls for conferences in the days following a game to review certain particularly dangerous plays. This new rule says that if a player is ejected for any flagrant personal foul the conference must review the game video for possible further action. In addition, if the officials call fouls for targeting defenseless players or using the crown of the helmet and the player is not ejected, the rules mandate a conference review. If the review by the conference reveals actions that should have resulted in a personal foul but were not called, the conference may impose sanctions.

Chin Strap Included in Face-Mask Fouls (Rule 9-1-2-q) The helmet chin strap is included in the face-mask foul. It is a personal foul if a player twists, turns or pulls the face mask, any helmet opening, or now the chin strap of an opponent.

Rugby-Style Kicker (Rule 9-1-4-a-5) The recent trend toward punters using a rugby-style kick has created a competitive disadvantage favoring the punting team. Because the player runs for several yards before kicking the ball, his teammates have more time to move downfield for coverage. Furthermore, there has been officiating inconsistency regarding whether such a rugby-style kicker has the same protection afforded a "normal" punter. Under the new rules, if a potential kicker carries the ball outside the tackle box (defined as extending five yards on each side of the snapper) before kicking the ball, there will be no foul for running-into or roughing if he is blocked or tackled by an opponent.

This just in:

So not only did "Gerg" fail at coaching, he failed at recruiting. Awesome.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Here are some rule changes that will be in effect for this season:

Rugby-Style Kicker (Rule 9-1-4-a-5) The recent trend toward punters using a rugby-style kick has created a competitive disadvantage favoring the punting team. Because the player runs for several yards before kicking the ball, his teammates have more time to move downfield for coverage. Furthermore, there has been officiating inconsistency regarding whether such a rugby-style kicker has the same protection afforded a "normal" punter. Under the new rules, if a potential kicker carries the ball outside the tackle box (defined as extending five yards on each side of the snapper) before kicking the ball, there will be no foul for running-into or roughing if he is blocked or tackled by an opponent.

I like that rule. Punters are football players too. I didn't like seeing teams take advantage of other teams avoiding hitting the kicker by having him run four or five yards and then punting. I can't remember a team that did this in FBS ball, but it was almost an epidemic in the SoCon last year.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

This just in:

So not only did "Gerg" fail at coaching, he failed at recruiting. Awesome.

Actually Paulus came in once Marrone was coach, but yeah I'm quite skeptical about this move. If worse comes to worse, hey, only 3 months till basketball season and 6 till lacrosse :P

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

The Pac-10 is close to signing a contract that will send the conference's No. 2 team to the Alamo Bowl and will result in a demotion of the conference's present bowl partners, the Seattle Times reported.

Money apparently was the deciding factor. The Alamo Bowl offered $3 million per team, and the Holiday Bowl, which currently features the conference's No. 2 team, is unlikely to raise its payout from $2.35 million, the report said. If the deal is finalized, it would begin with the 2010 season and would match the Pac-10 against the Big 12. The Pac-10's No. 3 team then would go to the Holiday Bowl and the No. 4 to the Sun Bowl.

The Pac-10's current bowl agreements with the Rose, Holiday, Sun, Las Vegas, Emerald and Poinsettia Bowls expire after this season.

The bowl is scheduled for Jan. 2 after spending the previous 17 seasons with a late-December date. If that date holds, it would give the Pac-10 a second coveted post-New Year's Day bowl date.

Archived