2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

I had the Bengals as my "lock of the week." This is a perfect example of why I am so far down the leaderboard in the pick 'em thread.

That game was all about the big mo. The Jets had been doing reasonably well in the last few weeks of the season after a mid season dip. After peaking midseason the Bengals were a bit cold going into the playoffs.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still waiting to see some Saints sigs from those who took up the bet on whether the Saints or Falcons would have the better record this year...

B)

Weren't you supposed to be making these sigs?

Find something and PM it to me. I have no creative skills to make sigs.

Much to the disappointment of both BringBackTheVet and yours truly, "Reid says McNabb his starter in 2010".

I guess I can pencil them in for another 10-12 wins next year. Bum. tongue.gif

McNabb has only one year left on his contract. There is absolutely no way that a guy with his tenure and "stature" will take the risk of playing on the last year of his deal. He's going to require a 3 - 4 year extension in order to be happy, or it could get ugly. Then, Reid can trade him for a 2nd rounder (or something like a 3rd and 5th) and blame it on the contract situation. Reid's statement only holds any water if they actually give him the extension.

Also, in the past, Reid said that he was fine going in to next season with his current receivers, then went out and signed TO.

And yes, those 10 - 12 wins really feel good to Eagles fans right now. I bet Steelers fans are jealous that the Eagles put up consistent 10 - 12 win seasons, while all their team can do is win Super Bowls and then miss the playoffs. I'm sure they'd trade places in a heartbeat.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I can just see the NFL fining the Eagles $1,000,000 because when the time comes to replace Andy Reid, the only candidates they interview would be Romeo Crennel, Terry Robiskie, and Turner Gill. Though they wouldn't fine the Seahawks for cup-of-coffeeing Leslie Frazier, or the Redskins for doing the same to Sherm Lewis.

LvZYtbZ.png

Much to the disappointment of both BringBackTheVet and yours truly, "Reid says McNabb his starter in 2010".

McNabb has only one year left on his contract. There is absolutely no way that a guy with his tenure and "stature" will take the risk of playing on the last year of his deal. He's going to require a 3 - 4 year extension in order to be happy, or it could get ugly. Then, Reid can trade him for a 2nd rounder (or something like a 3rd and 5th) and blame it on the contract situation. Reid's statement only holds any water if they actually give him the extension.

Also, in the past, Reid said that he was fine going in to next season with his current receivers, then went out and signed TO.

And yes, those 10 - 12 wins really feel good to Eagles fans right now. I bet Steelers fans are jealous that the Eagles put up consistent 10 - 12 win seasons, while all their team can do is win Super Bowls and then miss the playoffs. I'm sure they'd trade places in a heartbeat.

There are only a handful of fanbases that sentiment would apply to...but there are a :censored:load more that would gladly trade places with the Eagles run of failure since 2000 or so. But, hey, I'm on your side. I'll be glad when McNabb gets run. Maybe the 'Skins would actually have a shot to beat Philly.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

There are only a handful of fanbases that sentiment would apply to...but there are a :censored:load more that would gladly trade places with the Eagles run of failure since 2000 or so.

Exactly. Sure, Pittsburgh wouldn't want to, but Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, the NY Jets, and more then a few others I'm sure would love to have had the same level of success the Eagles have had in the past decade.

There are only a handful of fanbases that sentiment would apply to...but there are a :censored:load more that would gladly trade places with the Eagles run of failure since 2000 or so.

Exactly. Sure, Pittsburgh wouldn't want to, but Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, the NY Jets, and more then a few others I'm sure would love to have had the same level of success the Eagles have had in the past decade.

For a few seasons, and then those fans would feel the same way. Everyone who is poor is envious of the rich, and wants to be rich, not realizin' that the rich have problems too. And I ain't talkin' "mo money, mo problems".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Possibly, but still, winning 10+ games a year, consistently, in the NFL is no easy feat, and is evidence that there is a high level of talent on the team. It's very possible that McNabb has taken Philly as far as he can, but he was by no means a terrible quarterback during his time there. Again, a change of scenery for him would benefit both parties, but I would still say he's among the NFL's best signal callers.

The goal isn't to win games... it's to win championships. Winning games is a lot of fun for a while, when you think that you still have a shot to win the big one. That window is different for every team and every situation. In the Eagles case, it's been pretty clear for a while now that they don't have what it takes to win the big games, so that makes the 10+ wins every year kind of meaningless. It's certainly time for a change. 9 wins and a wild card with a team / QB that hasn't proven that he can't win is more entertaining than 12 wins and a division championship with a QB that has proven that he doesn't have what it takes. At least there's some intrigue in the first situation. In the second case, it's just a matter of when will he throw up, when will he start sulking and crying, when will he embarass himself by air-guitarring before the game and then throwing at feet, etc.

Archived