njmeadowlanders

What did you just notice for the first time?

dbadefense1990    368

I just realized the 2000's were the first decade since the establishment of the Cowboys, that they failed to make it to a NFCCG. That just further proves the ineptitude of Jerry Jones. 17 years and counting.

Here's one facet of your post: their loss in the 2007 NFC Divisional against the Giants was the first time in 20 years the NFC's #1 seed lost their opening playoff game. Since them, it has happened three times (2008 Giants, 2010 Falcons, 2011 Packers).

It took 20 years for the conference's #1 to fall in the Divisional round, yet it's happened three times in the last five seasons? That is the more "noticed for the first time-worthy" posting.

BlueSky    342

That the Harrisburg Stampede of the Professional Indoor Football League is owned by none other than WR Marques Colston of the Saints. Discovered that through Ross Tucker's podcast.

Big Bang Theory messed with Raiders of the Lost Ark. It definitely didn't ruin the movie for me, but I still wish I could unwatch that episode.

Indy is completely irrelevant to the story. The same thing would have happened whether or not he was involved at all.

monkeypower    656

Big Bang Theory messed with Raiders of the Lost Ark. It definitely didn't ruin the movie for me, but I still wish I could unwatch that episode.

Indy is completely irrelevant to the story. The same thing would have happened whether or not he was involved at all.

Don't watch Big Bang Theory but it brings up some points:

Indy was the one who found out that the Nazi's were looking in the wrong spot for the Ark. The only reason they got the Ark was because they found Indy, who had found the Ark. If Indy had just left it alone, the Nazi's are wasting all this time and resources looking for something that they will probably never find. On the happen chance they do find the Ark, they do the face melting scene in the middle of Berlin or some big Nazi place.

Indy should have just not done anything

Indy was the one who found out that the Nazi's were looking in the wrong spot for the Ark. The only reason they got the Ark was because they found Indy, who had found the Ark. If Indy had just left it alone, the Nazi's are wasting all this time and resources looking for something that they will probably never find. On the happen chance they do find the Ark, they do the face melting scene in the middle of Berlin or some big Nazi place.

Yeah, but the reason they were looking in the wrong place was because Indy stopped them from getting the amulet from Marion. They only had the impression of the one side that was burned into the one guy's hand. If Indy never showed up, they almost definitely would have gotten the amulet, no problem. It doesn't "ruin" the movie for me, because that's life sometimes. Things just happen and you're along for the ride and you don't really know what effect you're going to have in the end. Is it more important that Indy is the one who actually defeats the Nazis in the end, or is it more important that it's a fun ride and Indy is a good character? But damn, I will be thinking about that every time I watch the movie from now on.

And yes, I do see the irony that we're spoilering discussion of a 30 year old movie.

monkeypower    656

Yeah, but the reason they were looking in the wrong place was because Indy stopped them from getting the amulet from Marion. They only had the impression of the one side that was burned into the one guy's hand. If Indy never showed up, they almost definitely would have gotten the amulet, no problem. It doesn't "ruin" the movie for me, because that's life sometimes. Things just happen and you're along for the ride and you don't really know what effect you're going to have in the end. Is it more important that Indy is the one who actually defeats the Nazis in the end, or is it more important that it's a fun ride and Indy is a good character? But damn, I will be thinking about that every time I watch the movie from now on.

And yes, I do see the irony that we're spoilering discussion of a 30 year old movie.

Did you know Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's dad!!!1!11!111!

BigBubba    723

I had always wondered why on earth Robert Borden was on Canada's $100 bill, while far better, more influential, and more deserving Prime Ministers such as Laurier, MacDonald, and Mackenzie King were all on lower demonizations (the $5, $10, and $50, respectively). Then somebody explained it to me - the $100 isn't the greatest honour because it's the highest denomination, but rather the lowest because its the least circulated bill.

*mind blown*

If you look at the US, it's the same. Especially if you get up above the $100, the popularity goes way down. Nothing above $100 is printed in the US anymore, but still. Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln on the $1, $2 and $5... you're only going down from there.

sc49erfan15    899

I had always wondered why on earth Robert Borden was on Canada's $100 bill, while far better, more influential, and more deserving Prime Ministers such as Laurier, MacDonald, and Mackenzie King were all on lower demonizations (the $5, $10, and $50, respectively). Then somebody explained it to me - the $100 isn't the greatest honour because it's the highest denomination, but rather the lowest because its the least circulated bill.

*mind blown*

If you look at the US, it's the same. Especially if you get up above the $100, the popularity goes way down. Nothing above $100 is printed in the US anymore, but still. Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln on the $1, $2 and $5... you're only going down from there.

Interesting theory. However, I'm relatively certain the $50 bill is the least circulated bill with the least amount printed per year. The $1 is by far the most common, followed by the $20, then (I think) the $100. Then $5 and $10, which are relatively equal in number. IIRC, there are more $2 bills printed per year than $50s.

The half-dollar is by far the least minted and circulated U.S. coin.

It's true that the guys on the large-denomination U.S. notes (last printed in the '40s) aren't exactly the most well-recognized figures in U.S. history, but at the time of their issue (1929) they were pretty well known. Three were presidents - William McKinley ($500), Grover Cleveland ($1,000), James Madison ($5,000) and Salmon P. Chase ($10,000) was a U.S. Chief Justice and created the first U.S. national banking sytem that really stuck and was basically a precursor to the Federal Reserve.

cmm    356

Ben Franklin was pretty awesome too.

Ice_Cap    7,794

*mind blown*

Well to be fair to Borden he was Prime Minister during "the Great War," was influential in getting Canada a separate seat at the peace negotiations for that war (thus promoting Canadian soverignty), and got the ball rolling on women's suffrage.

I'd rank him higher then Mackenzie King who, in my opinion, was your stereotypical politician in all the worst ways.

charger77    1,065

*mind blown*

Interesting theory. However, I'm relatively certain the $50 bill is the least circulated bill with the least amount printed per year. The $1 is by far the most common, followed by the $20, then (I think) the $100. Then $5 and $10, which are relatively equal in number. IIRC, there are more $2 bills printed per year than $50s.

The half-dollar is by far the least minted and circulated U.S. coin.

It's true that the guys on the large-denomination U.S. notes (last printed in the '40s) aren't exactly the most well-recognized figures in U.S. history, but at the time of their issue (1929) they were pretty well known. Three were presidents - William McKinley ($500), Grover Cleveland ($1,000), James Madison ($5,000) and Salmon P. Chase ($10,000) was a U.S. Chief Justice and created the first U.S. national banking sytem that really stuck and was basically a precursor to the Federal Reserve.

The $1 is the most printed and the $20 is the most counterfeited.

I just noticed that the Avs had this third jersey, even though they've had it since 2009-10:

cfi07jiugzjfiid9xl6iy6v4h.gif

I don't like it as much as their pre-Edge look, but it minimizes that burgundy and blue directly touching each other. I hate that on the current home jersey; not enough contrast. I didn't even notice the burgundy on the sleeves while watching on TV. Between this jersey surprise and the new Dallas jerseys, it was a good looking game.

mr.nascar13    661

This isn't necessarily something 'noticed', more or less something I heard for the first time. This weekend, I needed a ride to the football field, so I hopped onto my HS Class's homecoming float. We were rocking out, and it was fun, until I hear this song that really puzzled me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE

I had no idea what they were saying until I listened closely to the lyrics at the homecoming dance Saturday night. My reaction was this:

276253_Papel-de-Parede-Meme-Jackie-Chan_

Finally, I found the video today, and that meme still sums up my reaction. It's hilarious, but in a stupid kind of way.

FGM13    703

I just noticed that Mr.Nascar has over 1,000 posts, and I have 500-some(too lazy to check) and he signed up 2 months AFTER me.