2009/10 NHL Redesign

Brass

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another day, another team. Today, it's the Buffalo Sabres. Here's the 2006/07 version.

If you took a look at the 2006/07 version, then you can see that not much changed, just some minor changes. Again, this year, I wanted to emphasize SABRES and not BUFFALOES. White shoulder yokes were added to the home uniform, just to make it more consistent with the road uniform, as well as not making this set a complete vintage ripoff. However, to stay slightly similar to what the Sabres wore back in the day, I decided to go with yellow numbers and names on the home uniform instead of white. As a reminder, here is what Buffalo currently uses.

As for the alternate, nothing really changed from the previous one I made. I just EDGE-ifed it. Since the alternate was (surprisingly) well-received by the majority of people last time around, I figured why fix what isn't broken? The only thing I change I made was eliminating the yellow trim on the numbers. As a reminder, here is what Buffalo currently uses as their alternate.

With that, allow me to introduce the Buffalo Sabres!

Home

BuffaloHome.png

Road

BuffaloRoad.png

Third

BuffaloThird.png

Comments, suggestions, questions or whatever are always welcomed!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Doing a little catching up here. Some great stuff so far. Too bad this hasn't caught on with the other members yet. I love it though.

Sens: I obviously love the idea, considering I did something similar, only I think yours looks better. The alternate is great. Excellent job with the Senators!

Kings: Not my favorite choice of colors, but it is very well done. The design works very well and the logo is great. The only thing I'm unsure about is the colors. They seem a little too light. The 3rd jersey is good, but I have never been a fan of that style. Good job on the Kings.

Stars: This set is awesome! Much better than the bland set they currently have. The design on the home and road is perfect. The green jersey looks great. The black works well as the alternate jersey. Great job!

Nucks: The design is great. It fits the Canucks well. I love the use of johnny canuck, but I also miss the stick in rink logo. I would have put it on the alternate. The green alternate is pretty sweet though. Nice job with the Nuckers.

Sabres: Man I love that striping design. They need to kill buffaslug and that design. This is great! Only a few concerns. First off, I think it would look cool if there was a little buffalo above the swords in the logo. Also, I'm not sure about the white shoulder yokes on the blue jersey. Other than that, great job!

Great series so far! I can't wait to see the rest. Especially the Wild. ;)

The Canucks look very nice; I'm taking a similar approach in my series, and I agree with all the choices you made.

The Sabres look pretty good too, but I think the white shoulder yoke on the blue jersey adds a bit too much white. Perhaps yellow with a white outline?

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Again, this year, I wanted to emphasize SABRES and not BUFFALOES.

But the original logo spells out "Buffalo Sabres." It's a buffalo, and sabres. Buffalo Sabres. It's not the "what's a Bill" dilemma here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

But the original logo spells out "Buffalo Sabres." It's a buffalo, and sabres. Buffalo Sabres. It's not the "what's a Bill" dilemma here.

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at, but in the concept, I wanted the main crests on the home and away uniforms to emphasize Sabres and not Buffaloes. I understand a buffalo is in the original logo, which is used in my set, but still not seeing your correlation between the original logo and my concept.

what the hell is ccslc?

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at, but in the concept, I wanted the main crests on the home and away uniforms to emphasize Sabres and not Buffaloes. I understand a buffalo is in the original logo, which is used in my set, but still not seeing your correlation between the original logo and my concept.

I think what he means is that the original logo "reads" BUFFALO SABRES, if you "read" the words represented by the two elements: a charging BUFFALO set above a pair of crossed SABRES. I agree with him that it's a clever way to intertwine the city name and team nickname. That being said, I don't have a problem with the sabres-only logo that you used. It's a great render of the swords.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Time to focus on the first Original 6 team in this series! Today, it's the Toronto Maple Leafs. Here is the 2006/07 version.

The Toronto Arenas shield - on all sets - didn't go over so well, so I decided to dump the idea in favor of using the detailed leaf which adorned the shoulders in the early to mid 1990's. I think that it goes exceptionally well with the throwback logo I decided to go with as the crests. I decided to model the home and roads off of the Leaf's current alternate which is basically a throwback uniform to the early 1960s. Honestly, between my set and their 1960's duds, nearly nothing - sans namebar and shoulder logos - has changed. As a reminder, here is what Toronto currently uses.

As for the alternate, it was a little hard to come up with a concept, but I wanted to do something different. The style of the uniform was based off of the Toronto St. Pat's 1926/27 uniform. I decided to keep the shoulder logos from the home and away set on the alternate as well. As for the lettering, I decided to go with the same font that appears on the Toronto Subway system. I thought the obscure connection would be one that die hard Leafs fans would acknowledge. As a reminder, here is what Toronto currently uses as their alternate.

So without any further ado, let me introduce the Toronto Maple Leafs!

Home

TorontoHome.png

Road

TorontoRoad.png

Third

TorontoThird.png

what the hell is ccslc?

I've really enjoyed this series so far. There hasn't been an entire set that I didn't like yet, which is outstanding. I'll try to keep up better as this goes along to give more detailed feedback on each team.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

For two days in a row, we'll be looking at an Original 6 team. Today, we have the Detroit Red Wings. Here is the 2006/07 version.

As you can see from this set, not much as changed. Yes, they're are supposed to be arched names on the home and road sweaters, but the program I was using nor Picnik.com were capable of doing that. It seems as if the biggest pet peeve about my 2006/07 concept was the addition of the shield "D" logo on the shoulders of the home and away - they didn't go over too well. So, I decided to drop them. As a reminder, here is what Detroit currently uses.

One of the biggest surprises from the last redesign was the love I got for the Red Wings alternate. Nobody had a bad thing to say about it, so I decided to stick with it, just changing up the striping slightly and making the crest logo slightly smaller. Other than that, not much of a difference.

So, here are the Detroit Red Wings!

Home

DetroitHome.png

Road

DetroitRoad.png

Third

DetroitThird.png

what the hell is ccslc?

Today's concept is going to be the Pittsburgh Penguins. Here is the 2006/07 version.

I've always been a fan of the 1990's black jersey with the diagonal lettering, so I decided to use that jersey as the basis for my home and road concepts. I really wanted to go on a different route with the Penguins and figured this would be a good way to go. For the white, I was going to go with black lettering, but the gold looked much better - trust me. As a reminder, here is what Pittsburgh currently uses.

The alternate was based on a concept I did earlier in the year. The only thing I did differently was change the crest logo. The only thing that really bothers me is if the Pens logo gets lost in the jersey, since the colour of the uniform and the triangle on the logo are the same colour. Perhaps you guys can help me out with that. As a reminder, here is what Pittsburgh currently uses as their alternate.

Anyway, here are the Pittsburgh Penguins!

Home

PittsburghHome.png

Road

PittsburghRoad.png

Third

PittsburghThird.png

what the hell is ccslc?

Time for the first Southeast Division team - the Washington Capitals. Here is the 2006/07 version.

As much as I like the late-90s set that the Capitals used, I decided to go red, white and blue with Washington this time around as more than just an alternate. I decided for the home and away jerseys, to make a "historical hybrid". I decided to go with their original white and red uniforms, but with their current crest logo. The only thing that's really changed was the subtraction of the stars on the front of the jersey. I mainly did this because the logo has stars and I figured it would be overkill. As a reminder, here is what Washington currently uses.

I do like the current set of the Washington Capitals, don't get me wrong, and wanted to incorporate the unique style of the uniform into my set. I decided to do this in the form of a blue alternate jersey, featuring the shoulder patch as the primary. A very simple design for a team that currently doesn't have an alternate.

So, here we go. The Washington Capitals!

Home

WashingtonHome.png

Road

WashingtonRoad.png

Third

WashingtonThird.png

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived