Embroidered Imaging - Requests?

Patchez

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have I completely lost my marbles or did that damn thing move? I swear I saw it move.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Have I completely lost my marbles or did that damn thing move? I swear I saw it move.

The ear moved and it freaked me the f*** out.

I'd love to get a couple of logos done but clarifying about the spot colors: do you want it so the only colors you see in the color palette in illustrator are the ones in the logo? Thanks.

I dunno about just sending you the files and having you do the work that seems like cheating, I'd much prefer you create a tutorial so I can learn to do this myself, it's by far and away the best embroidered effect I've seen! I cant imagine it'd be any more work to produce a tutorial than fill all the requests you're bound to get.

Personally I've always found it more fun learning a new technique than having someone just send me a completed file, plus once you've been taught something new you can often find ways to use those techniques to achieve something different altogether and the sense of achievement just keeps growing.

So please spread the joy, how about a tut for those with the kit and desire to give this a go themselves?

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Dammit, I saw a twitching ear out of the corner of my eye and thought I was losing my mind.

It also blinks and appears to sniffle or something...the snout moves too. Just in case anyone was wondering.

Patchez, you gotta warn people about that kinda stuff, man! :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I dunno about just sending you the files and having you do the work that seems like cheating, I'd much prefer you create a tutorial so I can learn to do this myself, it's by far and away the best embroidered effect I've seen! I cant imagine it'd be any more work to produce a tutorial than fill all the requests you're bound to get.

Personally I've always found it more fun learning a new technique than having someone just send me a completed file, plus once you've been taught something new you can often find ways to use those techniques to achieve something different altogether and the sense of achievement just keeps growing.

So please spread the joy, how about a tut for those with the kit and desire to give this a go themselves?

9erssteve

I'll co-sign to this.

and yeah, that damn moving moose is gonna be in my nightmares now.

9erssteve

It?s my understanding that you can?t duplicate Patchez artworks without purchasing some really pricey software first, isn?t that right Patchez?

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

9erssteve

It’s my understanding that you can’t duplicate Patchez artworks without purchasing some really pricey software first, isn’t that right Patchez?

Correct. The software I use is Corel DraWings (very expensive).
Google it to find a possible trial versions out there. Or Google embroidery software for others out there.

I only volunteered to do requests because others had asked and that I am learning the software myself and I happen to have time to practice on new challenges.

In the real world, when purchasing real custom embroidered items, most if not all manufacturers charge for "digitizing" your supplied artwork as a one time set-up. Due to the limitations of the embroidery machines and process, some design strategy is required, the skills I am teaching myself at this time.

Example below: This bat in Illustrator is created in two colors, yellow & blue. But I needed to make design decisions in order to divide shapes within the same color in order to later apply varying "stitched" angles & effects for the final design. Again, I am new at this and have a lot to learn.

As for the twitchy, blinky moose... I did that in Photoshop just to freak out the designer of that logo.

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Dammit, I saw a twitching ear out of the corner of my eye and thought I was losing my mind.

I know right, I saw it move and I was like "I know that :censored: did not just move." and then it moved again and then I thought "Am I high? Someone must've drugged me this morning, what the hell?!" Now I know that it's an animation and not just an image. But damn that was freaky.

Excellent work, btw. I love seeing embroidered images like this, especially your sig.

9erssteve

It?s my understanding that you can?t duplicate Patchez artworks without purchasing some really pricey software first, isn?t that right Patchez?

Correct. The software I use is Corel DraWings (very expensive).

Google it to find a possible trial versions out there. Or Google embroidery software for others out there.

I only volunteered to do requests because others had asked and that I am learning the software myself and I happen to have time to practice on new challenges.

In the real world, when purchasing real custom embroidered items, most if not all manufacturers charge for "digitizing" your supplied artwork as a one time set-up. Due to the limitations of the embroidery machines and process, some design strategy is required, the skills I am teaching myself at this time.

Example below: This bat in Illustrator is created in two colors, yellow & blue. But I needed to make design decisions in order to divide shapes within the same color in order to later apply varying "stitched" angles & effects for the final design. Again, I am new at this and have a lot to learn.

bat2.jpg

As for the twitchy, blinky moose... I did that in Photoshop just to freak out the designer of that logo.

You might be new to it but from the looks of all of these you're off to a fantastic start!

I know about the whole digitizing thing, I've been lucky enough to have a couple of designs embroidered so I have a rough idea of the process involved I just didn't realise you'd done them using the proper software I thought you'd maybe figured out a new way to fake it up.

Sadly it looks like I'm gonna have to spend a few more hours in front of photoshop to get the effect I'm after as all the trial versions for actual software that I managed to track down were all PC based. Not to worry I've always enjoyed tinkering with photoshop, which is just as well seeing as I use it for work everyday! haha.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

These would make pretty awesome sigs.

My sig is embroidered, but at their size & resolution, it loses a lot of detail.

I thought the best use was if one wanted their custom designed logos embroidered for wallpaper, portfolio or your custom team's "Inaugural" logo on your uniform design.

But size does matter on displaying these things!

(I don't know anything about the trial versions any embroidery software out there)

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

DRAWings and CorelDRAW are different. DRAWings has a plug in for CorelDRAW that allows you to achieve this look. You can download the plug in from drawstitch.com. I don't believe it is available for Illustrator. Once you install the plug in, you go to >Effects>Embroidery Effect and you can make some adjustments ( fabric type, DPI) and then you have a low res bitmap embroidery effect.I believe Patchez actually has the full version of DRAWings which is, I believe, in the $1,500 to $2,000 range.

Archived