Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nitroseed

To The Members Of The Ccslb Community

88 posts in this topic

I've been a member of this community for over a year and three months now. I've formed several freindships with many of you, and I've come to call this place home, with you all as my extended family. So, believing that those friendships are strong enough to withstand pretty much anything, I have chosen to come clean with you. Professionally, personally and honestly, you all deserve to know.

I know that many of you will immediately think that this is an April Fool's Day joke, but I assure you it's not. There is a reason I chose this day and this time to tell you all this. I have been "fooling" all of you during my entire tenure here, and I felt that today was an appropriate day to put an end to this. It may make it a little harder to believe, but it's symbolic, if nothing else. I have, more or less, led you to believe I am someone I am not.

Many of you know me as Brad Joiner, a graphic designer from Savannah, Georgia. You've seen my work and my opinions on this board. You may have even seen a picture of me at some point with my girlfriend, Jen, and I may have even told you many things about her. I've come to you to tell you that it is really the other way around.

I am, in fact, Jen.

I have been presenting myself to you under the guise of my boyfriend, Brad. It may seem incredibly childish and foolish, but allow me to explain why. I've been designing for a few years now, and I've been involved with other communities online, where I shared my work with them. The problem is that I was never treated like just a designer. I was treated like a girl. A couple of people did share their insight and I got some help, but an overwhelming majority couldn't get past the fact that I was a girl. No matter who I tried to be friends with, it always turned out the same. Some wanted to call me... some wanted me to be their "online girlfriend..." some wanted to come visit me... They all wanted something from me and couldn't just treat me as an equal and as a designer. And, honestly, I got tired of it. I wanted to get away from that and just start over. That's how I wound up here.

I thought that if I posed as my boyfriend and just pretended to be "one of the guys," I could share my work and my input without worrying about all of the stigma that came along with being a girl. I could just do what I enjoyed and make friends with whoever I wanted to without worrying if they were going to hit on me just because I'm being nice and friendly. I know that many of you would not do that, knowing you now. But when I got here, I didn't know any of you or what to expect. I've never even seen another girl in this community. I have been very content with being "Brad" and being treated like an equal... but having gained a great deal of respect for you guys and knowing you respect me as a person and a designer, I feel like it's time to be honest with you. I don't feel like this revelation will alter your opinions of me... at least I hope it doesn't. And I hope that we can just carry on with business as usual.

Please try to understand where I'm coming from on this. I hope none of you are angry at me or hold anything against me. I love this community very much and it has become a very big part of me. I love you guys like my family. I sincerely hope this doesn't change anything and, again, I hope you all understand.

- Jen / nitroseed

:therock: .. It's too hard to tell if this is real or not, why did you pick april fools day to write this... I'm not commenting until April Fools day is over..

Let me be the first to say - I honestly couldn't care less.

I don't know if my opinion means anything, but I'll say this - your work is outstanding and you've exemplified the type of person I like to see here, period.

I don't care if your name is Brad or Jen, I don't care if you have a penis or vagina, I don't care if your main job is design or growing tangerines, and I don't care if you're from the United States of America or the United Federation of Planets.

I bow to you :notworthy: for your contributions here. While others may take offense to this ruse (and folks, if you do I can kind of understand why, but you should get over it), as I said - I couldn't care less.

yeah I couldn't care less either if you said you were a girl from the get-go.. I just don't wanna be 'fooled' on april fools day... I loathe this day.

Thanks Mac. That's the response I was hoping for from you guys. :) Honestly, I don't really expect anyone to care, and it would make me feel better if no one did at all, but it's just something I personally wanted to get off my chest. And josh, I know that the timing makes it hard to believe, but like I've said, the day is symbolic to me. Besides, this is really the only day I've felt remotely comfortable with coming out with this. It just seemed sort of awkward to say it on any random day.

Yeah who cares women are into sports too, I have always been quite shocked we dont have any more female members to begin with.

Thanks Mac. That's the response I was hoping for from you guys. :) Honestly, I don't really expect anyone to care, and it would make me feel better if no one did at all, but it's just something I personally wanted to get off my chest. And josh, I know that the timing makes it hard to believe, but like I've said, the day is symbolic to me. Besides, this is really the only day I've felt remotely comfortable with coming out with this. It just seemed sort of awkward to say it on any random day.

Then again, this is either a masterful ruse (even going so far as to register nitroseed.net as Brad Joiner) or a gag. If the latter, we're going to call you "Jen" as long as you're here... :D

You're a girl? Well, in that case... your Cougars logo isn't very good! :P

Of course, I'm just playing. Honestly couldn't care less. And call me crazy... but I actually believe you. I just looked back through the Babe of the Week thread... and you've never posted in it. That's good enough for me!

so... uh... you wanna be my online girlfriend? Or can I visit or call you? Just playin. lol. :P

Well, if this is a Fool's Day joke, well done.

If it's not, Your designs still kick the :censored: outta mine... so nothing much has changed. Plus i'll be working on that website any day now...

:blink:

I hate April Fool's Day. My ability to trust/believe people (which is pretty low to begin with) is greatly diminished. At any rate, I don't really care if you're a male, female, or some combination of the two.

well, nitroseed is a woman, i'm a little fat and part filipino, tank is a republican, mockba is gay, JQK is harsh, and paynomind is a goof.

big deal, we all share the same passions and that's what makes this community great. i don't care who is what....unless they are a jackass (you know who i'm talking about). i love this place, and jen/nitro is a huge reason why.

April 1 was the worst day to post something like that, nitro. :P

But... cool. Presuming you're not pulling our legs, I know where you're coming from. And, I gotta say, you put up a good front. I do wish you'd been honest with us up-front, since I think this group can take it, but I do understand your reasoning for it.

Now, no more foolin', k? :P

First of all, let me say that I do completely beleive this.

Second, I love the fact that we have such a close knit community, that you could share something like that with us. I'm sure no one has anything negative to say or thinks any less of you as you have proven yourself to be a superior designer, regardless of sex. Also, I wish that more women would get involved in the board.

"Hey where all the White Women at?"

Anyways, i always thought your work was kick-ass Nitro. Girl or Boy i could care less, you have always been friendly to me and you did a fine job disgusing your truth.

I have a confession, i am from the Future. I need help getting my Delorean up to 88mph so i can go Back to the Future. J/K :P

We all are adults here, and i believe everyone will continue to show you the same amount of respect you deserve. Bout' time we got a chick on here. B)

ok, one way or the other, I'm calling you Jen from now on. If it is a joke or not, you are Jen.

I also have a confession. I'm a little embarrassed, but I have to explain. My sister was at some party... i dont know how it happened, but her and a guy's pet monkey had sex... she carried the baby full term, and gave birth to a boy.. a little baby monkey. I love my nephew, no matter what anyone says about it being wierd. I am a monkey's uncle.

I have no idea what to think about this. Because people who use message boards are for the most part anonymous, we really don't a true sense of who the other people are.

well, nitroseed is a woman, i'm a little fat and part filipino, tank is a republican, mockba is gay, JQK is harsh, and paynomind is a goof.

big deal, we all share the same passions and that's what makes this community great. i don't care who is what....unless they are a jackass (you know who i'm talking about). i love this place, and jen/nitro is a huge reason why.

Amen!

That took a lot of courage. I'm proud of you and your work. Keep it up!

What? Mockba is gay? Paynomind is a goof? Where have I been the past 10 months?

hell yea, i dig cool chicks into Motorhead and Pantera, and hockey. BTW it doesn't hurt if the work quality is outstanding as we've seen here.

hell yea, i dig cool chicks....

Pagan, you're such an enlightened, new-age kind of guy. ;)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0