FSU Logo Change?

rmackman

Not sure if anyone noticed, but the Chief Osceola logo at the center of the field of Doak Campbell Stadium looks a little different. Here's the previous logo, and what it looks like on the field. The word FLORIDA has been eliminated:

fsu_logo.jpg

DSC08076.JPG

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

segway into Miami here considering they are playing eachother.

notice how small the "U" logo is on their helmets?!?! tiny!!! i guess with all of those new helmet designs teams are starting to have to make compromises with their logo decals...

They didn't do a great job putting the decals on either. Everyone wearing a Revo Speed looks like they are running downhill.

It's always said just "State". Well, at least since 1983 when I was a freshman.

Thanks. For some reason I never noticed that. I suppose the writing inside the feather on the primary logo would be difficult to recreate every week by painting it on the field. That paint always seems to come off on players' jerseys too. The red is so noticeable, but I'm sure that happens at other venues as well.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

segway into Miami here considering they are playing eachother.

notice how small the "U" logo is on their helmets?!?! tiny!!! i guess with all of those new helmet designs teams are starting to have to make compromises with their logo decals...

They didn't do a great job putting the decals on either. Everyone wearing a Revo Speed looks like they are running downhill.

The logo size doesn't seem to be much different. I think it has always been small. Logos tend to look smaller on the Revolution IQ helmets because the space protecting the jaw area is larger, so now there's more actual helmet space than in the past:

33332106.jpg

33332133.jpg

33331952.jpg

57ff3951-db24-497d-89d3-11fe2e2c0c27.jpg

The good thing is that with the new helmet styles, Florida State's spear was not minimized. It still goes almost around the whole helmet.

78c2665f-f003-4b73-bb88-b2cd629abfaa.jpg

spacer.png

somewhat on topic: what typeface is the FSU font based on? or is it completely custom?

From what it appears, it's pretty much purely custom.

I will say this, though: while vectorizing the letter in FSU's lil' proprietary font there, I've noticed something that font, that of Oregon State and that of Connecticut. Minus the extra serifs and whatnot, the basic shape of all three are, for the most part, pretty much the same...completely vertical sides, rounded tops and bottoms. And in no small coincidence, they're all Nike jobs.

Just saying...figured I'd point that out in case anyone cares.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

also...it appeared that every single FSU player wore a Riddell revolution or Riddell revo speed.

kind of like how all penn state players wear schutt ions and dna.

i really miss the basic helmet design!

I really like the new Revolution Speed helmet.

And the Schutt ION is nice too.

But the Schutt DNA is easily the ugliest helmet ever.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

also...it appeared that every single FSU player wore a Riddell revolution or Riddell revo speed.

kind of like how all penn state players wear schutt ions and dna.

i really miss the basic helmet design!

I really like the new Revolution Speed helmet.

And the Schutt ION is nice too.

But the Schutt DNA is easily the ugliest helmet ever.

I agree, the ION is sick, but I think the DNA looks just as good. The only one I don't like is the Revo Speed. Seems like it's the NFL's new thing though.

It's function over form but I think the newer helmets look good for the most part. The ION is the most interesting design in my opinion because it looks like if you had a player down on the field, you could imobilize him and remove the facemask much quicker if you needed to. What I find funny is that once Riddell makes these newer versions, they make some odd looking masks and within weeks Schutt has taken the anchor points and designed more common looking ones.

Archived