Photo

FSU Logo Change?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BgMack27

BgMack27
  • U of Florida '03 (Telecomm) - FAU '08/'14 (MBA/MHA)

• Members
  • 3,548 posts
    • Location:Born in Palo Alto, CA - left immediately for Milwaukee, WI - then Ft. Lauderdale, FL - then Atlanta, GA - back to FL again - then Chicago, IL, now West Palm Beach, FL....it's a long story....

• Favourite Logos:I like a lot of the logos from the early 90s. My signature is proof of that (and a representation of my favorite teams).

Posted September 7, 2009 - 20:33

Not sure if anyone noticed, but the Chief Osceola logo at the center of the field of Doak Campbell Stadium looks a little different. Here's the previous logo, and what it looks like on the field. The word FLORIDA has been eliminated:

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown

CCSLCNewResized_zps2e938cd9.png

Check out my articles on jerseys at BaconSports.com - twitter-mini-logo.png - instagram-logo-copy.gif - LinkedIn_Logo16px.png

#2 TFoA

TFoA
  • Hooray baseball

• Members
  • 18,766 posts

• Favourite Logos:Put it on a fitted cap, I'll probably love it.

Posted September 7, 2009 - 20:39

I'm pretty sure that there was a thread on this in the past, but I couldn't give u a link.

That said, yeah I think that variation of the logo has been there for a while.

#3 Michigan Dave

Michigan Dave

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted September 7, 2009 - 20:46

I don't remember it saying anything other than "STATE". Here's from 1994:

Posted Image

#4 Brave-Bird 08

Brave-Bird 08
  • True hipsters wear Peerless Price jerseys to Falcons games

• Members
  • 4,024 posts

Posted September 7, 2009 - 21:06

segway into Miami here considering they are playing eachother.

notice how small the "U" logo is on their helmets?!?! tiny!!! i guess with all of those new helmet designs teams are starting to have to make compromises with their logo decals...

gN8gIJg.png

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram                        

#5 Ben5

Ben5
  • Life is not a bit.

• Members
  • 2,761 posts

Posted September 7, 2009 - 21:19

notice how small the "U" logo is on their helmets?!?! tiny!!! i guess with all of those new helmet designs teams are starting to have to make compromises with their logo decals...

They didn't do a great job putting the decals on either. Everyone wearing a Revo Speed looks like they are running downhill.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Titanole

Titanole

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted September 8, 2009 - 08:54

It's always said just "State". Well, at least since 1983 when I was a freshman.
You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

#7 BgMack27

BgMack27

• Members
  • 3,548 posts
    • Location:Born in Palo Alto, CA - left immediately for Milwaukee, WI - then Ft. Lauderdale, FL - then Atlanta, GA - back to FL again - then Chicago, IL, now West Palm Beach, FL....it's a long story....

• Favourite Logos:I like a lot of the logos from the early 90s. My signature is proof of that (and a representation of my favorite teams).

Posted September 8, 2009 - 09:36

It's always said just "State". Well, at least since 1983 when I was a freshman.

Thanks. For some reason I never noticed that. I suppose the writing inside the feather on the primary logo would be difficult to recreate every week by painting it on the field. That paint always seems to come off on players' jerseys too. The red is so noticeable, but I'm sure that happens at other venues as well.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown

Check out my articles on jerseys at BaconSports.com - twitter-mini-logo.png - instagram-logo-copy.gif - LinkedIn_Logo16px.png

#8 BgMack27

BgMack27

• Members
  • 3,548 posts

Posted September 8, 2009 - 09:46

They didn't do a great job putting the decals on either. Everyone wearing a Revo Speed looks like they are running downhill.

The logo size doesn't seem to be much different. I think it has always been small. Logos tend to look smaller on the Revolution IQ helmets because the space protecting the jaw area is larger, so now there's more actual helmet space than in the past:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The good thing is that with the new helmet styles, Florida State's spear was not minimized. It still goes almost around the whole helmet.

Posted Image

#9 Bmac

Bmac

• Members
  • 3,603 posts

Posted September 8, 2009 - 15:45

Muck Fiami!!!

:cursing:

#10 Conrad.

Conrad.
  • The One & Only

• Members
  • 2,528 posts

Posted September 8, 2009 - 15:54

somewhat on topic: what typeface is the FSU font based on? or is it completely custom?

sport-scarf_fcb.pngCreamer-Badges-08_zps95ea3a95.png

Red Goat Creations :: Graphic Design Solutions  |  Fonts By Conrad donation link: btn_donate_LG.gif Thanks!  :)

#11 Canesfan19

Canesfan19

• Validating
  • 12 posts

Posted September 8, 2009 - 16:17

Muck Fiami!!!

Haha #20 (1-0) Miami > FSU (0-1)

#12 Brave-Bird 08

Brave-Bird 08
  • True hipsters wear Peerless Price jerseys to Falcons games

• Members
  • 4,024 posts

Posted September 8, 2009 - 16:33

also...it appeared that every single FSU player wore a Riddell revolution or Riddell revo speed.

kind of like how all penn state players wear schutt ions and dna.

i really miss the basic helmet design!

gN8gIJg.png

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram                        

#13 Bmac

Bmac

• Members
  • 3,603 posts

Posted September 8, 2009 - 16:38

Muck Fiami!!!

Actually it is more of a Huskers-Canes Orange Bowl rivalry from the old days, but ya, that sucks.

#14 Wasatch

Wasatch

• Members
  • 1,344 posts

Posted September 8, 2009 - 16:43

Muck Fiami!!!

Don?t worry; they?ll break back into the top 25 when they beat the Cougars on their field on the 19th. :P
Posted Image

#15 Buc

Buc
  • absoBUC'nlutely....

• Members
  • 7,553 posts

• Favourite Logos:Bucco Bruce // Iowa State Cyclones // the original Vancouver Grizzlies // Philadelphia Union // Coastal Carolina Chanticleers

Posted September 8, 2009 - 19:47

somewhat on topic: what typeface is the FSU font based on? or is it completely custom?

From what it appears, it's pretty much purely custom.

I will say this, though: while vectorizing the letter in FSU's lil' proprietary font there, I've noticed something that font, that of Oregon State and that of Connecticut. Minus the extra serifs and whatnot, the basic shape of all three are, for the most part, pretty much the same...completely vertical sides, rounded tops and bottoms. And in no small coincidence, they're all Nike jobs.

Just saying...figured I'd point that out in case anyone cares.

3x POTD winner:20101229 | 20120728 | 20130924* || dribbble || Behance

#16 Canesfan19

Canesfan19

• Validating
  • 12 posts

Posted September 8, 2009 - 19:49

I still think Miami should have worn their green pants they look a lot better because they go with the stripes and number color.

#17 LEWJ

LEWJ
  • Self-Proclaimed MS Paint Legend

• Members
  • 5,695 posts

Posted September 8, 2009 - 20:07

also...it appeared that every single FSU player wore a Riddell revolution or Riddell revo speed.

I really like the new Revolution Speed helmet.
And the Schutt ION is nice too.

But the Schutt DNA is easily the ugliest helmet ever.

Cavaliers | Browns | Indians | Pirates | Ohio State | Toledo

@wrenwag

#18 Canesfan19

Canesfan19

• Validating
  • 12 posts

Posted September 8, 2009 - 21:17

I really like the new Revolution Speed helmet.
And the Schutt ION is nice too.

But the Schutt DNA is easily the ugliest helmet ever.

I agree, the ION is sick, but I think the DNA looks just as good. The only one I don't like is the Revo Speed. Seems like it's the NFL's new thing though.

#19 walkerws

walkerws

• Members
  • 6,101 posts

• Favourite Logos:Kent State, Columbus Crew, Columbus Blue Jackets primary

Posted September 8, 2009 - 23:25

It's function over form but I think the newer helmets look good for the most part. The ION is the most interesting design in my opinion because it looks like if you had a player down on the field, you could imobilize him and remove the facemask much quicker if you needed to. What I find funny is that once Riddell makes these newer versions, they make some odd looking masks and within weeks Schutt has taken the anchor points and designed more common looking ones.