Where did YOU see comic sans today?

fkaKrock5cent

Y'all act like you're too good for Comic Sans. Why don't you find a good way to use it instead of huffing and puffing about how much it sucks and how terrible the people who use it are. Challenge yourself to make it work instead of jumping on the lazy 'it sucks' bandwagon. It'll make you a better designer, and you'll never look at 'taboo' fonts the same way again (or any font, for that matter). There's a good way to use almost every font. You just have to figure out what that way is.

Actually, Comic Sans is too good for them.

- - - -

I'M COMIC SANS, :censored:.

BY MIKE LACHER

- - - -

Listen up. I know the :censored: you've been saying behind my back. You think I'm stupid. You think I'm immature. You think I'm a malformed, pathetic excuse for a font. Well think again, nerdhole, because I'm Comic Sans, and I'm the best thing to happen to typography since Johannes :censored:ing Gutenberg.

You don't like that your coworker used me on that note about stealing her yogurt from the break room fridge? You don't like that I'm all over your sister-in-law's blog? You don't like that I'm on the sign for that new Thai place? You think I'm pedestrian and tacky? Guess the :censored: what, Picasso. We don't all have seventy-three weights of stick-up-my-ass Helvetica sitting on our seventeen-inch MacBook Pros. Sorry the entire world can't all be done in stark Eurotrash Swiss type. Sorry some people like to have fun. Sorry I'm standing in the way of your minimalist Bauhaus-esque fascist snoozefest. Maybe sometime you should take off your black turtleneck, stop compulsively adjusting your Tumblr theme, and lighten the :censored: up for once.

People love me. Why? Because I'm fun. I'm the life of the party. I bring levity to any situation. Need to soften the blow of a harsh message about restroom etiquette? SLAM. There I am. Need to spice up the directions to your graduation party? WHAM. There again. Need to convey your fun-loving, approachable nature on your business' website? SMACK. Like daffodils in mother:censored:ing spring.

When people need to kick back, have fun, and party, I will be there, unlike your pathetic fonts. While Gotham is at the science fair, I'm banging the prom queen behind the woodshop. While Avenir is practicing the clarinet, I'm shredding "Reign In Blood" on my double-necked Stratocaster. While Univers is refilling his allergy prescriptions, I'm racing my tricked-out, nitrous-laden Honda Civic against Tokyo gangsters who'll kill me if I don't cross the finish line first. I am a sans serif Superman and my only kryptonite is pretentious buzzkills like you.

It doesn't even matter what you think. You know why, jagoff? Cause I'm famous. I am on every major operating system since Microsoft :censored:ing Bob. I'm in your signs. I'm in your browsers. I'm in your instant messengers. I'm not just a font. I am a force of mother:censored:ing nature and I will not rest until every uptight armchair typographer :censored:-hat like you is surrounded by my lovable, comic-book inspired, sans-serif badassery.

Enough of this bull :censored:. I'm gonna go get hammered with Papyrus.

Take that!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Y'all act like you're too good for Comic Sans. Why don't you find a good way to use it instead of huffing and puffing about how much it sucks and how terrible the people who use it are. Challenge yourself to make it work instead of jumping on the lazy 'it sucks' bandwagon. It'll make you a better designer, and you'll never look at 'taboo' fonts the same way again (or any font, for that matter). There's a good way to use almost every font. You just have to figure out what that way is.

No one ever said they were too good for Comic Sans, or that it was terrible. It, like many other fonts, has a place where it is acceptable and places where its best to be ignored as an option. More often than not it is the latter. I did a logo for a local daycare (if I can find it at home I'll post it) and Comic Sans worked very nicely to convey the message/image I was looking for. Using it in an email to your 500+ employees (like I mentioned in a previous post) is probably not the best place.

I think more often than not people get tired of Comic Sans because it is grossly overused, not because its a "terrible" font.

+1.

There's nothing inherently wrong with Comic Sans, but it gets way overused. It's the font that the simpleton masses use when they want to be "fun" or "cool." There's nothing wrong about using Comic Sans in a logo - if done right.

But I think what people are upset about is when it's used as a replacement for typical type-face style fonts. There are five classes of fonts for composing printed media. Note- these are NOT INCLUSIVE of graphic design. Logos are a different matter. I'm only referring to writing term papers, presenting a report to your boss, etc.

The Gold Standards: Arial, Times New Roman, Calibri

The Acceptable Silver Options: Verdana, Tahoma, Sylfaen, Trebuchet, sometimes (maaaaybe) Courier (under the right circumstances).

The Bronze "this may be risky" Choices: TwenCentury, Rockwell, Copperplate, Elephant, Engravers.

The "ONLY USE THIS IN YOUR SALES PITCH IF YOU WANT TO BE FIRED" Fonts: Showcard Gothich, Harlow, Magneto, Playbill, any form of Lucida, Jokerman... etc.

The "After a virus infects your computer and only Comic Sans works" Option: Comic Sans

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

No one ever said they were too good for Comic Sans, or that it was terrible. It, like many other fonts, has a place where it is acceptable and places where its best to be ignored as an option. More often than not it is the latter. I did a logo for a local daycare (if I can find it at home I'll post it) and Comic Sans worked very nicely to convey the message/image I was looking for. Using it in an email to your 500+ employees (like I mentioned in a previous post) is probably not the best place.

I think more often than not people get tired of Comic Sans because it is grossly overused, not because its a "terrible" font.

I never said that anyone said they were too good for Comic Sans. I said many designers act like they're too good for Comic Sans, and they do. They also say it's terrible and make fun of people who use this font. My message is for those people. The haters.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• 1 month later...

I work under the Rock Financial/Quicken Loans umbrella, and Dan Gilbert recently put out a message detailing "25 Things I I've Learned in 25 Years".

#25: Comic Sans...

If you don?t like it,

then don?t frickin read

it.

We already read the the letter Dan...

By the way, the point of this thread isn't to bash on ALL uses of Comic Sans. It is to bash on the overuse of it.

Whatever happened to the rule at the start of this thread that said every post had to be in Comic Sans?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I was at McDonald's the other day, and their napkin dispenser was covered in Comic Sans.

Here's a pic that came up in a quick google search.

napkins.jpg

"NAPKINS"

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

The "Kill Comic Sans" online game.

http://www.agencyfusion.com/intro/index2.html

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

comic_sans_is_a_classy_font_trollcat.jpg

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed this on one of my Rocawear shoebox lids....

IMG00303-20110130-1855.jpg

Really, Hov? I mean...really? Quite comical.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived