Minor League Hockey Defunct Redesign

dgnmrwrw

dgmrwrw. This is my favorite concept series on this board, these are some of the most well designed logos I've ever seen. I hope you do another project like this, because I know alot of us are enjoying it. Keep it up!!

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great work on Erie, now I know this may be cheating but I would like to see what you could do with Richmond's biggest rivals, Hampton Roads (I know they're still around in the AHL) & The Roanoke Express, if at all possible, I know your a busy man.

baltimoreravens.png

Even with the resemblances to the bengals, I think you used purple shadowing on the panther pretty masterfully, it looks really good. Still, I think there is too much negative black space to the left on the body. With such a lack of contrast in the colors I was interested to see how you treated the uniforms but they turned out well. One negative would be that you maybe use the slash coming off the stripe too much, but it's still a flashy uni set (I like the font).

Love this thread, I haven't commented on every one but I have viewed everything and it's a great source of inspiration rendering wise. I think you excel in secondary logos. All secondary logos have really expanded on the primaries and that's sometimes hard to do. One suggestion would be that for hockey, you don't always need full body primaries, shield logos, like this panthers one you used as a crest, also work well as primaries. I'm a big fan of your work though.

If you're going back to it, you should group the bottom jaw as one object (I dunno if it's the same as in Inkscape, but it should be the same idea) and resize it like so. This shouldn't effect the rest of the panther, then once you get it to how you'd like it, you could group the whole panther back together. Again, I'm not sure if it's the same idea/way in Illustrator (assuming that's what you're using...?) as in Inkscape.

Ha! :D Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that I didn't know how to do it, just that when I did it, I was getting weird visual interactions between some of the elements. Anyway, I did go back and pull in the jaw a tad. It's still creating two "tongue" sections instead of one (which is why I had it the other way originally), but it's probably still an improvement.

OLD NEW

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

If you're going back to it, you should group the bottom jaw as one object (I dunno if it's the same as in Inkscape, but it should be the same idea) and resize it like so. This shouldn't effect the rest of the panther, then once you get it to how you'd like it, you could group the whole panther back together. Again, I'm not sure if it's the same idea/way in Illustrator (assuming that's what you're using...?) as in Inkscape.

Ha! :D Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that I didn't know how to do it, just that when I did it, I was getting weird visual interactions between some of the elements. Anyway, I did go back and pull in the jaw a tad. It's still creating two "tongue" sections instead of one (which is why I had it the other way originally), but it's probably still an improvement.

OLD NEW

:P Just checkin. It looks alot better now, but I'd angle the top of the head foward a bit so it looks more like this. No big deal, though.

#15: Beast of New Haven // New Haven, CT

Logo.png

I wanted to take this one on to see what I could do with such an, um, unorthodox name. So, if you're going to use the singular "Beast," then what kind of creature could be a singular entity but still represent multiple entities (the players on the ice)? I thought that a mythical hydra would be the perfect representation. I also like the way that some of the traits of a hydra work for a hockey team: multiple heads working as a unit, one head is taken out and two more appear, etc. So that's what I've created here: a three-headed hydra emerging from a dark triangle and grasping the team nickname. The colors are dark plum, gold, and aqua.

For the uniforms, I was drawn to the pattern created by the gold and plum colors on the hydra's belly/underside. So I repeated that in piping on the arms of the jerseys and let it wrap around the back. I let big sections of aqua bump up against that piping, which mimics the way the gold and aqua sections meet on the hydra. For the first time in this series, the primary crest is an unaltered version of the primary logo. For a shoulder patch, I wanted a different style of logo that still used the same elements. So I made a heraldic-style hydra, set in a circle with the team name.

For the alternate, I wasn't sure if I should use aqua or gold. I went with gold for a change, and because I think gold can actually work as a hockey jersey. I used the heraldic hydra as the crest, and then repeated that circular motion in the striping throughout the jersey. Also, the gold-belly motif is again in the striping. On the shoulders, there's a patch of a hydra head and neck coming out of a circle.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

Wow. This has got to be one of your best yet. You've taken a creative nickname and gave it some life. That Dragon looks rediculously cool, and those colors once again are simply fantastic. The only thing is on the primary, that many scales may be way too much for the eyes, maybe you could simplify that. Otherwise this looks phenomenal

While the logos are good, I think that the colors should be saved for the New Orleans Brass if you decide to do those guys.

I've already suggested the San Diego Gulls, but I have a few more ideal teams for future concepts:

Bakersfield Fog

B.C. Icemen

Colorado Gold Kings

Detroit Vipers

Indianapolis Ice

Jacksonville Lizard Kings

Knoxville Speed

Long Beach Ice Dogs

Lowell Lock Monsters

Miami Matadors

Phoenix Roadrunners

Reno Renegades

Saginaw Gears

Tacoma Sabercats

Topeka Scarecrows

Tucson Gila Monsters

Thanks for all the comments on this one. It went through several different logos and styles before I settled on this one, and I'm definitely happy about it.

The scales are, I admit, problematic. For the hydra's skin I tried just solid color, motion lines, heavy shadows, stippled texture, and finally settled on the scales. It really needed some sort of texture to show how the necks and tail curve. I was hoping that from a distance the scales would cause the aqua and plum to blend into a darker aqua, which I think is happening. That way, it wouldn't look so busy from afar. Of course, when reproducing this as an actual sewn crest, it would be very difficult to reproduce that many scales. They'd probably need to be "scaled back" (ba-zing!) to fewer elements that were a larger size, or be replaced with a simpler texture.

Hey, nice job! Just wondering if you made the triangle background of the logo another color it would help make the beasts pop out more. This is especially true when the logo is placed on the dark jersey. i can't tell what is going on. Overall, it's one bad-ass design!

Archived