New Helmet Design

John in KY

Okay - I've spent some time searching and finally found good photos of this - there appears to be a new helmet design that isn't on either the Riddell or Schutt website yet.

Here in Louisville we get a good mix of Colts and Bengals games (by mid-season the Bengals are usually on a losing streak so we only get the Colts as our "home team"). At any rate I've noticed that Dallas Clark isn't wearing a Riddell Revolution any more and is wearing a helmet that looks like you threw a Revolution in a blender with a Schutt Air XP helmet. The back of the shell looks kind of like a Revolution, and its rear bumper looks a lot like the one on a Revolution. The sides are extended but not as far as on a Revolution (more like a Schutt DNA). However, the front bumper has a "Colts" decal like they use on non-Riddell helmets. It also has pretty much a standard Schutt face mask (maybe a bit stretched out). Trent Guy of Louisville is also wearing one of these; he also wore a Revolution last year.

Here's the best photo I can find:

90866366.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D027B5CAD1C84EA89EAF0A124C079FD7B613D38F6B5AC4D563

Anyone have any info on this one?

Okay - I've spent some time searching and finally found good photos of this - there appears to be a new helmet design that isn't on either the Riddell or Schutt website yet.

Here in Louisville we get a good mix of Colts and Bengals games (by mid-season the Bengals are usually on a losing streak so we only get the Colts as our "home team"). At any rate I've noticed that Dallas Clark isn't wearing a Riddell Revolution any more and is wearing a helmet that looks like you threw a Revolution in a blender with a Schutt Air XP helmet. The back of the shell looks kind of like a Revolution, and its rear bumper looks a lot like the one on a Revolution. The sides are extended but not as far as on a Revolution (more like a Schutt DNA). However, the front bumper has a "Colts" decal like they use on non-Riddell helmets. It also has pretty much a standard Schutt face mask (maybe a bit stretched out). Trent Guy of Louisville is also wearing one of these; he also wore a Revolution last year.

90866366.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D027B5CAD1C84EA89EAF0A124C079FD7B613D38F6B5AC4D563

I have no info but the pic is a good contrast illustrating something I've always found interesting: how different guys wear their facemasks. Looks like you could put a baseball between Clark's face and his facemask then you have guys like Marion Barber and Steven Jackson whose noses look like they're rubbing the inside of the bars.

nfl_g_barber_400.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Any helmet design is better than Riddells' Revo helmet..

One clearly asthetic-only reason that I like the Revolution helmet is that the chinstrap button doesn't get in the way as much with the logo sticker. I also don't find the shell over designed. The latest Revo Speed helmet has so many angles and accents that it is distracting.

its like your regular Riddell helmet and the Revo had a child.

I recall North Carolina State was the first team to wear these starting last season.

A lot of the players on their team wear them.

Most other schools have almost noone wearing them.

But I did notice Dallas Clark wearing it against Miami.

Something about the facemasks on them bothers me though...

• 1 month later...

I have no info but the pic is a good contrast illustrating something I've always found interesting: how different guys wear their facemasks. Looks like you could put a baseball between Clark's face and his facemask then you have guys like Marion Barber and Steven Jackson whose noses look like they're rubbing the inside of the bars.

nfl_g_barber_400.jpg

A lot of that has to do with hair. Dreadlocks take up a few inches on the back of the head pushing the face much closer to the facemask. Shaved or short hair allows the skull to rest further back into the helmet. The pads on the inside can also be modified to move the head around inside the helmet some. If I had dreads I would be wearing a shield to protect my eyes.

10titles.jpg

I got to try one of these on at the 2007 AFCA Coaches convention. They're pretty cool, to size the helmet, all you have to do is pull the chinstrap straps. It will fit to your head. They also gave me the chance to hit my head against a wall with it on. You don't feel any vibrations. Awesome helmet overall.

Confirmed on CBS Sports this afternoon before the Dallas-Oakland game.

They were showing helmets that help reduce the risk of concussions, they had a sample of Dallas Clarks'-Colts helmet from Xenith.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

One of the better looking new helmets. Wish they would adopt a league-wide standard. It's a shame, though, that a team like the Seahawks would be hard-pressed to wear a shell like this because of the ridges, which I'm sure are hellish obstacles for the people who apply the decals. The Browns' equipment manager has the best gig, if you ask me.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

but why are so many popping off during gameplay? i can recall about 5 or 6 in the last few weeks, college and pro. it doesn't matter how well made they are if they won't stay on.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

but why are so many popping off during gameplay? i can recall about 5 or 6 in the last few weeks, college and pro. it doesn't matter how well made they are if they won't stay on.

that's the players fault for not fitting them tight enough. I posed a topic about these awhile ago in the sports in general section but I'll reiterate that I love these helmets. The padding is revolutionary and the fitting seems very cool and I hope the NFL addops these as the recomended helmets for players.

Archived