Broncos Logo

andrewharrington

Found this ancient logo while organizing the ol' files yesterday. I don't mind having just the horse head on the helmets, but the horse head they currently rock is already looking dated to me, as are the uniforms. The horse looks very 'robotic' to me. This version features a slightly more organic horse in a formal sense, but most importantly, returns to the 'Big D' look that the Broncos sported for so much of their history. Just putting it out there for y'all to see.

broncos.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

REALLY likin' it. I think you could go with a different eye than what they use now though. His jaw (mainly by his teeth) is bothering me a bit, and how it kind of "steps down" a level at the very end, if you get what I mean. I'd also like to see this with the current colors, I think it'd look way more badass. Great work.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

That horse head wouldn't happen to be the front part of the lil' horse you designed for that Colts' "Design a Horse" secondary logo contest, would it? :D

Either way, helluva rendering job. You gets no complaints this way...though maybe one bit of jerky to chew on.

I know that in American culture and in design, generally we depict forward motion by facing something to the right. Being that both the letter "D" is "facing to the left", if you follow me, and since the "west" points left according to maps and compasses, why not explore facing the horsehead the same way? I know it'd probably seem a little offputting to some, or possibly straight-up backwards to others, but hey...Denver is in the west, not to mention the AFC West, so I think that a left-facing Bronco head could work here (and if need be, it could be rendered exactly as you have it here if this was to ever end up on the right side of an actual helmet).

Just my .02...but again, you gets no complaints this way. Nice work.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

That horse head wouldn't happen to be the front part of the lil' horse you designed for that Colts' "Design a Horse" secondary logo contest, would it? :D

Either way, helluva rendering job. You gets no complaints this way...though maybe one bit of jerky to chew on.

I know that in American culture and in design, generally we depict forward motion by facing something to the right. Being that both the letter "D" is "facing to the left", if you follow me, and since the "west" points left according to maps and compasses, why not explore facing the horsehead the same way? I know it'd probably seem a little offputting to some, or possibly straight-up backwards to others, but hey...Denver is in the west, not to mention the AFC West, so I think that a left-facing Bronco head could work here (and if need be, it could be rendered exactly as you have it here if this was to ever end up on the right side of an actual helmet).

Just my .02...but again, you gets no complaints this way. Nice work.

I think mascot logos almost always work better when facing left, because your eyes move from left to right, so you start looking at the beak / nose / face and continue to the back of the logo, as opposed to starting at a truncated body and looking over the face, which is usually the most detailed part.

That being said, I'm not sure that would work with the letter D, because I think it'd screw up the look of the actual letter so much that it wouldn't instantly be recognizable as a D.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

i know its been said, but this would be an awesome 'new' logo mixing the old with the new. i always thought it was a shame the way they completely abandoned their orange helmets with the D. I like your horse head better here than what they use now. although i think their current logo is fine. just not as unique/cool as the old one

Almost every logo you'll find in American sports faces right, instead of left. (The only notable exception I can think of is the Philadelphia Eagles' primary logo.) As others have stated, looking to the right seems to represent "forward" motion, or that you're facing your opponent.

Perhaps it's different in other cultures.

d is too big next to the bronco head.

if you are going to remake the bronco head, i think you really need to update the d also. at present, it doesnt fit with the nice bronco update

and looks a bit anachronistic.

The D is the emphasis of the logo, so I disagree about making the horse bigger. The bigger the hose becomes, less of it will be visible because it has to fit within the counter of the D. Also, the D is timeless. It has no typographic characteristics that would label it as historical or 'old.' It's a plain slab serif that could have been created in the 1920s or the 1990s. I find the curve of the D complements the visual style of the horse quite well.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

disagree, definitely think the horse could be 120/130% the size in order to give the line widths a bit more parity. id also use a font that complimented the shapes youve used in the horse head. reckon you could use a finer, tapered serif and give it 10 degrees or so of horizontal shear. just feels like that would give the whole thing a bit more movement. it just seems odd to me to half redesign the logo. they two elements dont feel like they belong together.

i like the updated bronco tho, he has a lot more character than the gawping bronco they use at the moment.

Current logo looks dated? (scratches his head) it's one of the best logos out there...

Well, "dated" is a loaded word. Some people find things look more "dated" than others. I personally really like the Broncos' current identity, but others don't. But clearly Denver's front office does, or else things would have been changed by now.

Archived