Utah Jazz - Early '80s Green Road Unis

TruColor

I just noticed something watching the Jazz Magic game tonight. The Jazz font on the jerseys does'nt match the font on the court. The font on the jerseys really is generic. I know this is'nt anything new but I really don't like the way the word Jazz starts out big and gets smaller in the main logo at mid court. However I do like the font of the word Jazz on the baseline out of bounds. Looks like a western font. I would be interested to see them maybe trying to use the J note logo with that font. I still would prefer just going completely retro logo and colors as I have mentioned several times but if they are trying to do something retro with a modern twist maybe that would be something worth a shot. I was looking at their current road alt. ,the light blue one, and that also has the horrible look of the word Jazz starting out big and getting smaller. Who ever actually thought that looked good?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I felt something could have been worked out had the Sonics stayed out their lease in Key Arena. The political leaders didn't bend to Bennett's demands and gave in at the end. I'm personally glad that Oklahoma City has an NBA team, but the way they got it was terrible: at the expense of a city with a lot of history in the given league.

Yeah again, it?s an unfortunate situation and I?m very unhappy with how it all played out. Bennett might be a hero to OKC, but he?s a complete and utter P.O.S. outside of that small market. Growing up I hated the Sonics when they were rivals with the Jazz, but even then, I?d never wish a rival fan the lose of their team! For this reason, the Thunder is one of my least favorite teams and I don?t think I could ever support their cause. Just seems to be in vain!

Yo, Wasatch!

Updated ball

011tf.th.jpg

Freaking awesome ball jimbojohnny56! Does your son love it to death? :D

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

See, there are just to many factors out there that keep me from hating the Oklahoma City Thunder. First, the city really did step up and support the Hornets following Katrina. I think at one point they were drawing better crowds in OKC then they had in NOLA. That's impressive for a team you know isn't going to stay.

Secondly, we go back to the municipal leadership of Seattle. Yes, the new arena request was probably over the top, but if I remember correctly they refused to even negotiate. They could have offered up a more modest proposal for a new arena. They didn't even try. And because of that I can't feel sorry for the city losing their team, however much it may suck.

EDIT-

Wastach, what about this as a J/note?

jazznote.png

It's the same exact not as the classics note, all I did was fix the flaw in the basketball. The colours are my ideal colour scheme for the Jazz.

See, there are just to many factors out there that keep me from hating the Oklahoma City Thunder. First, the city really did step up and support the Hornets following Katrina. I think at one point they were drawing better crowds in OKC then they had in NOLA. That's impressive for a team you know isn't going to stay.

That's great if you respect Oklahoma City for stepping up and aiding the Hornets, I'll applaud that much, but how can you not expect great crowds when the city has never even hosted an NBA game (that I know of)? Guaranteed if the Mavs ever needed help and they temporarily relocated up north to Kansas City or St. Louis, they would have great crowds too.

Secondly, we go back to the municipal leadership of Seattle. Yes, the new arena request was probably over the top, but if I remember correctly they refused to even negotiate. They could have offered up a more modest proposal for a new arena. They didn't even try.

It all comes down to timing. The leaders were already sick of the "I need a new stadium or we're leaving" argument with before Bennett even reached their steps, and Bennett knew this. The Seattle municipal leaders would have rather put that money into their educational system, versus throwing it at a sports team that had been given an upgrade to their venue a little over a decade before. So yeah, it's comes down to timing and the lack of understanding from the Seattleites of just what the game has become......TOO CORPORATE with their luxury boxes and advertising!

EDIT-

Wastach, what about this as a J/note?

jazznote.png

It's the same exact not as the classics note, all I did was fix the flaw in the basketball. The colours are my ideal colour scheme for the Jazz.

Looks like you just took the current Jazz colors, including that poor excuse for purple, right? :D Nice mockup of a modernized note but I still prefer the old ball in it, just like the notes I've posted earlier in this thread.

It's the old note from Chris' main site with the ball fixed. I just can't see how the old incorrect ball is better then a correct one. Part of the note's charm is that it blends in three distinct concepts, a basketball, note, and the letter J. That effect is lessened, I think, if the ball is rendered incorrectly. Other then then change to the ball, the dimensions are those of the original note.

The colours are basically the current Jazz colours minus the navy. Navy and powder blue is over played, and is just a poor choice for the Jazz in general. The Jazz are, in my opinion, a purple team. I kept the powder blue because I think it's nice complement to the purple, fits Utah, and would give the Jazz a unique colour scheme while still allowing them to cash in on the powder blue trend. The silver was thrown in there to be used as an accent/third colour.

What's wrong with the shade of purple? I rather like it. It's the current shade the Jazz use, at least according to the main site.

That and "Utah Hornets" and "New Orleans Jazz" would completley screw with the NBA's historical records, the individual legacies of the teams, create fan confusion of who was named what and who plays for what team, and create a whole new set of merchandising and marketing problems.

It's a very bad idea for a lot of reasons.

So are you confused by the Cleveland Browns?

If the NFL can have the Dallas Cowboys play the Dallas Texans (Kansas City Chiefs) while the Houston Texans play the Tennessee Titans (formerly the Houston Oilers) and then have the New York Titans (New York Jets) play the Tennessee Titans, I think the people can be trusted to figure it out. And, last I checked the NFL was doing pretty well.

But, if I'm in the minority in thinking switch would be a good thing, I'm fine with letting it go. I can't stand the BCS either but the NCAA thinks it's working perfectly. I guess I just see things oddly.

That and "Utah Hornets" and "New Orleans Jazz" would completley screw with the NBA's historical records, the individual legacies of the teams, create fan confusion of who was named what and who plays for what team, and create a whole new set of merchandising and marketing problems.

If the NFL can have the Dallas Cowboys play the Dallas Texans (Kansas City Chiefs) while the Houston Texans play the Tennessee Titans (formerly the Houston Oilers) and then have the New York Titans (New York Jets) play the Tennessee Titans, I think the people can be trusted to figure it out. And, last I checked the NFL was doing pretty well.

But, if I'm in the minority in thinking switch would be a good thing, I'm fine with letting it go. I can't stand the BCS either but the NCAA thinks it's working perfectly. I guess I just see things oddly.

Those NFL examples you mentioned were for ONE game. They were also throwback games, and when throwbacks are involved people are much more willing to accept uniforms and names that don't match what the team's usual identity.

A more accurate parallel would be if you started to suggest that the Jets change their name to the Titans, the Texans become the oilers, and the Titans become the Jets. See how screwed up that would be? Same thing with the "switch the Jazz and Hornets" argument.

As for the Browns, no I'm not confused by them, but again, it's apples and oranges. With the Browns it was one team moving. No confusion. On top of that I think the whole Cleveland Browns to Baltimore thing was done rather poorly. If I had my way we would have the Baltimore Browns and the Cleveland (insert name here). The team should have been allowed to move to Baltimore with their history intact.

It's the old note from Chris' main site with the ball fixed. I just can't see how the old incorrect ball is better then a correct one.

It's really quite simple, it's a classic and simply looks better. Maybe it's because I've been a Jazz fan my whole life and I'm used to seeing the Jazz Note a certain way, and any other way just bugs the crap out of me. thdontknow.gif

What's wrong with the shade of purple? I rather like it. It's the current shade the Jazz use, at least according to the main site.

Where's ColorWerx when we need him. Back when they recolored the current Jazz logo, I'm quite sure they implemented a different, darker shade of purple. I'll have to go back through my files but I'm quite sure that's correct.

It's the old note from Chris' main site with the ball fixed. I just can't see how the old incorrect ball is better then a correct one.

Maybe it's because I've been a Jazz fan my whole life and I'm used to seeing the Jazz Note a certain way, and any other way just bugs the crap out of me. thdontknow.gif

Fair enough.

Where's ColorWerx when we need him. Back when they recolored the current Jazz logo, I'm quite sure they implemented a different, darker shade of purple. I'll have to go back through my files but I'm quite sure that's correct.

Maybe it's my monitor, but the purple I used in that J/not concept is different from the purple you have listed as "2004/05-Present."

Those NFL examples you mentioned were for ONE game. They were also throwback games, and when throwbacks are involved people are much more willing to accept uniforms and names that don't match what the team's usual identity.

A more accurate parallel would be if you started to suggest that the Jets change their name to the Titans, the Texans become the oilers, and the Titans become the Jets. See how screwed up that would be? Same thing with the "switch the Jazz and Hornets" argument.

As for the Browns, no I'm not confused by them, but again, it's apples and oranges. With the Browns it was one team moving. No confusion. On top of that I think the whole Cleveland Browns to Baltimore thing was done rather poorly. If I had my way we would have the Baltimore Browns and the Cleveland (insert name here). The team should have been allowed to move to Baltimore with their history intact.

So basically you're in the camp of a franchise, not the city, keeping their name. I guess that is pretty much the way things have always been haven't they. Oh well, I'm just a partial to the original names and would love to see the name stay with a city when the team moves.

For all the horrible actions the NBA let happen (or orchestrated) in the Sonics fiasco, at least there is no Oklahoma City Sonics.

Maybe I'm wrong but I would think a majority of the population of a city that gets a relocated team would rather have a new name for their team and have it truly be theirs instead of using the old name that had a history with a different city. Sure there are exceptions to that rule but I'd say in general that would be the case. Just me?

Yes I was right; there was a purple color change in 2004. The changes over the course of their history haven't been that drastic but some definitely appeal better to the eye, depending on the design.

Utah_Jazz_Purple_History.png

Someone's using Illustrator RGB again....tsk, tsk... tongue.gif

Here are the three different Purples used in print by the New Orleans/Utah Jazz:

UtahJazzPurple_1996_SOL_SRGB.pngUtahJazzPurple_2004_SOL_SRGB.pngUtahJazzPurple_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

I already know that some of you are going to try to tell me that the middle Purple is too light...I say refer to a Pantone swatch book for PMS 266 C...on my calibrated monitor it is close, but may need a bit more Red in it to match exactly. Illustrator (especially older versions) make that color almost a Dark Blue. Which is REALLY wrong.

Yes I was right; there was a purple color change in 2004. The changes over the course of their history haven't been that drastic but some definitely appeal better to the eye, depending on the design.

Utah_Jazz_Purple_History.png

Someone's using Illustrator RGB again....tsk, tsk... tongue.gif

Here are the three different Purples used in print by the New Orleans/Utah Jazz:

UtahJazzPurple_1996_SOL_SRGB.pngUtahJazzPurple_2004_SOL_SRGB.pngUtahJazzPurple_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

I already know that some of you are going to try to tell me that the middle Purple is too light...I say refer to a Pantone swatch book for PMS 266 C...on my calibrated monitor it is close, but may need a bit more Red in it to match exactly. Illustrator (especially older versions) make that color almost a Dark Blue. Which is REALLY wrong.

We all knew you?d show up to save the day! :D

• 2 weeks later...

hi there

i am a jazz fan from Australia.

my swingman jersey which was worn at the pacers game says 1979-80 on the jersey.

is it safe to say this is a mistake?

as conlcusion seems to be 81 or 82 they started to wear it.

also the name and number at the back of the jersey wasn't it all yellow when they wore the strip in the 1980's

as mine has williams in white and number 8 in yellow....was certain that the number and name were all yellow during the time the green jersey was worn

hi there

i am a jazz fan from Australia.

my swingman jersey which was worn at the pacers game says 1979-80 on the jersey.

is it safe to say this is a mistake?

as conclusion seems to be 81 or 82 they started to wear it.

also the name and number at the back of the jersey wasn't it all yellow when they wore the strip in the 1980's

as mine has williams in white and number 8 in yellow....was certain that the number and name were all yellow during the time the green jersey was worn

anybody able to assist with the above

Archived