Utah Jazz - Early '80s Green Road Unis

TruColor

I agree. When will we see them in action? When are they coming out?

That?s the question of the month for me! The Jazz organization doesn?t even know the Hardwood Classic Nights as of a week ago!

It?s also a shame to learn that nobody carries the Hardwood Classic shorts. I guess I?m one of the few people in town that has a pair of these green aways shorts! :P

Ditto.

I wish they would commission some designer to go back and do a modernized update of their 80's/90's look, kind of like what the San Diego Chargers did to their 60's look with their newest uniforms. Get rid of the current garbage and revert back to the "classic" Jazz colors. That would be heavenly.

I completely agree. There?s a rumor going around here that they?re going back to a modernized retro logo next year.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the problems is that unlike other sports leagues, there's so little information on NBA uniforms prior to the mid-late 80's. There were so many manufacturers and design changes from year-to-year, and the NBA's own records are spotty and mostly inaccurate.

I've been researching now for several years and my own records are still only around 25% complete - I've been speaking to several other enthusiasts over the past couple of years about putting together either a website or book (not to step on the toes of either Colorworx or this site) that will comprehensively document NBA uniforms, but it's such a huge task...

I know for a fact that the NBA Creative Services Dept. has been researching and documenting every NBA uniform for a potential book in the near future. I was told about a year ago that it was pretty much complete.

Don't know when it's due to come out...

I agree. When will we see them in action? When are they coming out?

That?s the question of the month for me! The Jazz organization doesn?t even know the Hardwood Classic Nights as of a week ago!

It?s also a shame to learn that nobody carries the Hardwood Classic shorts. I guess I?m one of the few people in town that has a pair of these green aways shorts! :P

Ditto.

I wish they would commission some designer to go back and do a modernized update of their 80's/90's look, kind of like what the San Diego Chargers did to their 60's look with their newest uniforms. Get rid of the current garbage and revert back to the "classic" Jazz colors. That would be heavenly.

I completely agree. There?s a rumor going around here that they?re going back to a modernized retro logo next year.

I wouldn't mind seeing a retro logo, though there are a lot of people that seem to despise purple as the main color; I can name my brother and an old roommate that think this way. There are likely a lot of Jazz fans (within and without Utah) that think this way. While I wouldn't mind seeing a return to the old green, gold, and purple, I would agree that the colors should be done in that order--green, gold, and purple.

My main reason for this is that the pre-mountain-look merchandise (and the uniforms, to some extent) remind me too much of the Lakers (all that purple and gold!), and while those green/gold 80's uniforms looked too much like the Sonics then, the Sonics don't exist right now, leaving the Jazz to claim the spot as the sole primarily green-gold team in the NBA. They can either bring back purple as a trim, or have a blue-violet color in its place to appease the anti-purple crowd.

I would also say to keep the mountains--in one form or another--on the logo.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I wouldn't mind seeing a retro logo, though there are a lot of people that seem to despise purple as the main color; I can name my brother and an old roommate that think this way.

You can count me in on that crowd! If they go back to retro, I?d like to see green as their primary color. After all, the retro green gear seems to be the hottest items in town right now. But yeah, let?s ditch the purple!

It's official boys and girls?.here's the 2009-10 Uniform Guideline Sheet.

*image deleted*

The NBA gets very angry if you post Pantone information online.

Opps, my bad, I'll have to remember that for the future. Here?s a version without that information.

09-10_Utah_Uniform2.jpg

How can anyone be a longtime Jazz fan and dislike purple as their main color? Seems hard to reconcile. I know they looked somewhat Lakeresque in the old uniforms, but that was more a failure to incorporate adequate green than a reason to forever dismiss using purple. Purple has always suited them well, in both the Mardi Gras and mountain themes. Switching to green and yellow after the last few years of stupidly using double-blue would further dilute what had been a pretty strong brand.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

No it doesn't. The current uniforms are abject failures for not including the team's primary color. If they want to come up with some sort of "slate purple" that better conveys the Rocky Mountains, that'd be cool, but these are just pointless and bland.

No it doesn't. The current uniforms are abject failures for not including the team's primary color. If they want to come up with some sort of "slate purple" that better conveys the Rocky Mountains, that'd be cool, but these are just pointless and bland.

But purple is no longer the ?primary? color and although I agree with you that the current uniforms are failures, that doesn?t mean it?s because of the lack of purple, it?s just the fact that they?re boring!

Purple is still prominently featured in the primary logo, for what little that's worth. If it's not meant to continue as one of their main colors, why is it there? That it's totally absent from the uniforms further underscores how awful the uniforms are.

Purple is still prominently featured in the primary logo, for what little that's worth. If it's not meant to continue as one of their main colors, why is it there? That it's totally absent from the uniforms further underscores how awful the uniforms are.

Yes, purple is part of their current identity even though it doesn?t act as their primary color. All I?m saying is that the Jazz seem to be pulling more away from purple even though I?m sure it?ll always be a featured color?.whether I like it or not. I guess I?d just like to see green and yellow take the lead while purple is used more as an accent.

I know for a fact that the NBA Creative Services Dept. has been researching and documenting every NBA uniform for a potential book in the near future. I was told about a year ago that it was pretty much complete.

I've been hearing about this for the past couple of years. When I contacted the NBA last year about getting information for an online uni database (kind of like an NBA equivalent to Dressed To The Nines) I was basically told "well, we're doing that too", but I'm yet to see any evidence.

Any book that comes out had better have better info than the uni histories on some teams' sites.

I've been hearing about this for the past couple of years. When I contacted the NBA last year about getting information for an online uni database (kind of like an NBA equivalent to Dressed To The Nines) I was basically told "well, we're doing that too", but I'm yet to see any evidence.

Any book that comes out had better have better info than the uni histories on some teams' sites.

I totally agree. I can't wait to get my hands on this book. What a treasure. I hope ABA histories would be included. Even though the ABA uniforms are better documented than the NBA..

I would love to see jerseys like Seattle's Russell Celtics jersey, the Knicks' Maroon and Navy kicks, Sixers' almost-annual 5 year redesign phases in the Seventies and Nineties. Can't wait!

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I totally agree. I can't wait to get my hands on this book. What a treasure. I hope ABA histories would be included. Even though the ABA uniforms are better documented than the NBA..

I would love to see jerseys like Seattle's Russell Celtics jersey, the Knicks' Maroon and Navy kicks, Sixers' almost-annual 5 year redesign phases in the Seventies and Nineties. Can't wait!

Can I count on one of you to post a link to this book when it does release? :D

Ok boys and girls, I just found out from the Utah Jazz front office the dates they?ll be sporting their Green Hardwood Classics.

Dec. 4

Dec. 12

Jan. 14

Jan. 29

Feb. 27

Mar. 17

They're also trying to get Apr. 6, as that is the night they'll be doing the league mandated "green night". At the moment however, it's not scheduled with the league.

Ok boys and girls, I just found out from the Utah Jazz front office the dates they?ll be sporting their Green Hardwood Classics.

Dec. 4

Dec. 12

Jan. 14

Jan. 29

Feb. 27

Mar. 17

They're also trying to get Apr. 6, as that is the night they'll be doing the league mandated "green night". At the moment however, it's not scheduled with the league.

So glad to see St. Patty's Day on there.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Here are the opponents

Dec. 4 vs. Indiana

Dec. 12 vs. LA Lakers (I am hoping for a green-gold matchup. Classic)

Jan. 14 vs. Cleveland (TNT)

Jan. 29 vs. Sacramento

Feb. 27 vs. Houston

Mar. 17 vs. Minnesota

April 6 (TBA) vs. Oklahoma City

Do we know if they'll be wearing them on the road at all?

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Archived