Utah Jazz - Early '80s Green Road Unis

TruColor

Here's a couple of concepts I made a while back...it involves the Jazz note logo with the mountains on it. I made these before I discovered the cleanliness of PNG files, so bear with. Also, this was done with Paint, and so the "Utah" on the wordmark looks chippy and rather sloppy (due to my lack of experience of painting on the computer). Anywho, here are a couple color schemes:

Green/Gold/Copper

2923229184_1b72616624_o.jpg

Old Mardi Gras (Green/Gold/Purple), with Green as Emphasis

2923228948_d279f695c2_o.jpg

Purple/Light Blue/Black/Silver

2909791349_f329d4ff74_o.jpg

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno...I'm one of the very few who has a soft-spot for this one:

UtahJazz_PRM_1997-2004.png

Me as well.

Same. Just a few tweaks to simplify it, as admiral suggested, and it could still work today. I have fond memories of that set anyway, pulling for them two years in a row to beat the Bulls :cry:

The Pistons logo is regarded as great by people who think a plain wordmark on top of a basketball is a great design...

The old logo was both a basketball in a circle and a piston in a cylinder. The current one is just a basketball.

Interesting, I went to go look at the current logo again, and noticed two things:

1. There actually is a blue outer circle still, but it's more like an outline and doesn't look like a cylinder anymore.

2. I remembered the current logo as looking decent despite being so plain; but it doesn't. It looks as awful as it is on paper.

Actually, none of their logos have been that great, but at least on the old one the wordmark was incorporated in an interesting way. I hated those teams so much though it's hard to like the old logo really.

Not sure what they should have done - probably made the update a little closer to the old one; thicker blue circle; keep the more realistic basketball; keep the modern wordmark but confine it to within the basketball, because the piston can't move with a big wordmark taped over the end of the cylinder.

At least the uniforms are pretty much top-notch now.

I?m sorry to hear you despise the current Pistons primary so much, but I?m going to go out on a limb and say that most people (including myself) think it?s an upgrade from their 80?s/90?s Bad Boys logo.

Detroit_Pistons_Logo_Comparison.png

Here's the link to the forum I can't post the image on this board it's the 5th post down on the thread

Old and New

Somebody would just have to find a way to add the J note to the ball with the mountains to make it a true blend of old and new

The only thing I don't like about this logo is the blue sky I would color that part purple and call it good.

This has to be the best updated retro Jazz logo I've seen, but in my opinion it needs some modifications. First, I happen to like the J logo a lot but only when it's blue and baby blue. Second, I don't know if I'm digging the font itself. I know they tried to stay close to the original lettering but it looks as bit too bulky. Maybe if they pulled it down so it was parallel to the base of the J logo, that could solve the problem!?! thdontknow.gif

utahjazz.jpg

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

The old Pistons logo was way better. I dig the minimalism of it, and that accompanying uniforms would also be simple and minimalist instead of clinging to the recolored vestiges of the ill-advised rebrand. Would've gone so perfectly with the 2004 squad and their fundamental badassitude shutting down the Lakers for old times' sake. Alas, they were using the de-tealed horsey at the time (EDIT: well sorta, it was that and the Pistons ball logo that was sort of a primary but not...murky branding at the time). Also consider that the rest of the successful Detroit teams have timelessly simple looks: Red Wings, Tigers, I guess Michigan football if you wanna count them. Not modern updates of simplicity, actual simplicity.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Im sorry to hear you despise the current Pistons primary so much, but Im going to go out on a limb and say that most people (including myself) think its an upgrade from their 80s/90s Bad Boys logo.

Detroit_Pistons_Logo_Comparison.png

I don't know man...the wordmark is better now...but it's just a wordmark on the ball and has nothing to do with the name anymore. The Lakers can get away with it; but I hate the idea of stripping the meaning out of a logo when it is updated. That reminds me of when the Sonics went back to green and yellow - nice uniforms, but the logo dropped the classic skyline and space needle and was just a pointless S and a ball. Of course, that logo seemed to be inexplicably well received too, so maybe you're right.

Here's the link to the forum I can't post the image on this board it's the 5th post down on the thread

Old and New

Somebody would just have to find a way to add the J note to the ball with the mountains to make it a true blend of old and new

The only thing I don't like about this logo is the blue sky I would color that part purple and call it good.

This has to be the best updated retro Jazz logo I've seen, but in my opinion it needs some modifications. First, I happen to like the J logo a lot but only when it's blue and baby blue. Second, I don't know if I'm digging the font itself. I know they tried to stay close to the original lettering but it looks as bit too bulky. Maybe if they pulled it down so it was parallel to the base of the J logo, that could solve the problem!?! thdontknow.gif

utahjazz.jpg

That Jazz update is pretty impressive. I feel like there's a nice identity for the Jazz out there with a mix of the old and new, but I'm not quite sure what it is. As interesting as these green throwbacks are, I don't think it has much place in a good revival outside of an accent. But re-emphasizing the purple and throwing in a touch of yellow and green might do the trick.

Here's a couple of concepts I made a while back...it involves the Jazz note logo with the mountains on it. I made these before I discovered the cleanliness of PNG files, so bear with. Also, this was done with Paint, and so the "Utah" on the wordmark looks chippy and rather sloppy (due to my lack of experience of painting on the computer). Anywho, here are a couple color schemes:

Green/Gold/Copper

I like the ideas, but this one screams Memphis Tams!

JimboJohnny's basketball-note update is a tight one (wordmark could be better, though), and I'm also feeling DustDevil's suggestion of indigo as an alternative to purple...hey, that's it! Forest green, sky blue, ice white, and...(mood) indigo.

Your take on that as a "Jazz"-y color scheme?

[447]

I don't know man...the wordmark is better now...but it's just a wordmark on the ball and has nothing to do with the name anymore. The Lakers can get away with it; but I hate the idea of stripping the meaning out of a logo when it is updated. That reminds me of when the Sonics went back to green and yellow - nice uniforms, but the logo dropped the classic skyline and space needle and was just a pointless S and a ball. Of course, that logo seemed to be inexplicably well received too, so maybe you're right.

For most logo novelists out there, I can see how the updated Pistons logo doesn?t sit well with them, but I think the overall reception of their current logo has been pretty good; but who knows, that could all be due to the crappy horse logo they had before.

That Jazz update is pretty impressive. I feel like there's a nice identity for the Jazz out there with a mix of the old and new, but I'm not quite sure what it is.

I agree but the Jazz front office isn't typically known to do what is "right" in the eyes of the fans.

Green/Gold/Copper

I like the ideas, but this one screams Memphis Tams!

Not to mention you can?t turn the original Jazz note into three things?.a J, a basketball, and a mountain; just too much going on!

Wasatch, how do you like this...003ec.th.jpg

just a litle home project I have been working on for my son.

What do you think would it look better if I made the lines on the ball white?

I could also connect the green sections and then connect the yellow sections to truly mirror the old logo but the newer logo actually has the lines separating those sections like a real ball actually looks.

Wasatch, how do you like this...003ec.th.jpg

just a litle home project I have been working on for my son.

What do you think would it look better if I made the lines on the ball white?

I could also connect the green sections and then connect the yellow sections to truly mirror the old logo but the newer logo actually has the lines separating those sections like a real ball actually looks.

thicon_lol.gif That?s awesome; what inspired you to do that? And yes, it would look even better with the white lines, but great job so far! thicon_biggrin.gif

the newer logo actually has the lines separating those sections like a real ball actually looks.

I know, the current secondary logo drives me nuts!!! thBangHead.gif

the newer logo actually has the lines separating those sections like a real ball actually looks.

I know, the current secondary logo drives me nuts!!! thBangHead.gif

Why? The new note/basketball is more "correct" then the old one.

Archived