Utah Jazz - Early '80s Green Road Unis

TruColor

That?s awesome; what inspired you to do that? And yes, it would look even better with the white lines, but great job so far!

My son saw the old logo and said he would love to have an actual ball that looked like that. So I looked around on line to see if I could find anything like it or something I could get customized but it was just way too much money most places required you to order more than one if they are going to customize a ball. So I said screw it and bought a couple a cans of spray paint and some masking tape and went to work. I have connected the two green sections and then the two yellow sections since the last picture. I'm going to try and paint the lines white tomorrow. I'll post a picture when I have the finished product.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, we need another Green/Yellow team now that the Sonics are out.

I know, the yellow/green concept is starting to wear on my eyes too. thicon_biggrin.gif

the newer logo actually has the lines separating those sections like a real ball actually looks.

I know, the current secondary logo drives me nuts!!! thBangHead.gif

Why? The new note/basketball is more "correct" then the old one.

Yeah but when you're going to bring a retro look like that back, why not just go with the original that every Jazz fan loves?

For that Jazz concept you got going on in this thread, you should just use generic block numbers with no outline. If the Jazz wordmark doesn't have an outline, neither should the numbers.

I?ve never really noticed but is that some sort of ?unspoken rule??

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

For that Jazz concept you got going on in this thread, you should just use generic block numbers with no outline. If the Jazz wordmark doesn't have an outline, neither should the numbers.

I've never really noticed but is that some sort of "unspoken rule"?

Of course not - it just looks bad.

Having numbers with more trim than the wordmark draws your focus more to them, which is the exact opposite of you're trying to accomplisy, so I'd call that bad design.

You can have a wordmark with trim, and then just plain-solid numbers, and it works, because the attention should go to the fancy wordmark / logo (actually, sometimes, having plain numbers actually accentuates the wordmark), but I don't think I've ever seen it work very well the other way around.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Having numbers with more trim than the wordmark draws your focus more to them, which is the exact opposite of you're trying to accomplisy, so I'd call that bad design.

You can have a wordmark with trim, and then just plain-solid numbers, and it works, because the attention should go to the fancy wordmark / logo (actually, sometimes, having plain numbers actually accentuates the wordmark), but I don't think I've ever seen it work very well the other way around.

Indeed, you?re right and I see exactly where you?re coming from. I?ll have to post a modification with maybe an outline around the wordmark. So what about having trim around both the wordmark and numbers?

Trimming the wordmark (sounds vaguely euphemistic, but for what I don't know) in this case would muddle it, since there's not a great deal of space between letters. Best to just concede that it's a cool albeit dated and flawed logo and move on.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Indeed, you're right and I see exactly where you're coming from. I'll have to post a modification with maybe an outline around the wordmark. So what about having trim around both the wordmark and numbers?

In this specific case, trim probably wouldn't look too good on the wordmark. Try it though.

In general though, I'd say that the numbers can have less than or equal amounts of trim than the wordmark, so most of the time, yes - they can both be trimmed.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, we need another Green/Yellow team now that the Sonics are out.

I know, the yellow/green concept is starting to wear on my eyes too. thicon_biggrin.gif

the newer logo actually has the lines separating those sections like a real ball actually looks.

I know, the current secondary logo drives me nuts!!! thBangHead.gif

Why? The new note/basketball is more "correct" then the old one.

Yeah but when you're going to bring a retro look like that back, why not just go with the original that every Jazz fan loves?

Well maybe because the new note captures everything the old one stood for, but has the added bonus of having a "correct" basketball? When you compare the old note to the new note, the only real difference is that one slight improvement, so I have to say that the new one is better.

As for the concepts tossed around here, I'll agree with everyone who has said that the Jazz are not a green and gold team. The colour combo looks good enough, but it's just not for the Jazz. The Jazz are a purple team. Whether it's baby blue, copper, yellow, green, bronze, whatever they pair it with, purple has to be the primary jersey colour.

Well maybe because the new note captures everything the old one stood for, but has the added bonus of having a "correct" basketball? When you compare the old note to the new note, the only real difference is that one slight improvement, so I have to say that the new one is better.

Not to get too nitpicky or technical here, but I?d like to point out the differences between the old note and the new note. In fact, you could even call the ?new note? not even a not at all since it resembles more of a J rather than a note, unlike the original.

Outside of the red highlighted area changes, the top portion of the J (circled in gray) has been shorted, not to mention the line thickness between the ball panels is smaller.

Utah_Jazz_Note_Comparison2.png

As for the concepts tossed around here, I'll agree with everyone who has said that the Jazz are not a green and gold team. The colour combo looks good enough, but it's just not for the Jazz.

I'm finally caving in on this one and agreeing with you, even though I think the green and gold would be a great alternate uniform if the green and gold were somehow apart of a new color set. With that said, I'd like to direct my attention into still bringing back the old note logo but with navy blue or purple being the primary color. thcry.gif

I kind of prefer the old note. I know the ball is wrong, but I just like it - as long as the two middle panels are different colors. I wouldn't like one like the one on the green helmet in wasatch's sig.

Alright then. So they shortened the top part, removed that unnecessary sliver, and corrected the basketball. All in all though, the changes ARE minor. And it still looks like a note/J/basketball to me. Again, I just don't see how correcting the basketball makes it a bad logo.

Alright then. So they shortened the top part, removed that unnecessary sliver, and corrected the basketball. All in all though, the changes ARE minor. And it still looks like a note/J/basketball to me. Again, I just don't see how correcting the basketball makes it a bad logo.

Yes indeed, to most it looks like the same logo, but the original simply looks better. :D

I?ve tried recolor the Utah Jazz current wordmark many different ways but it just doesn?t look right, so I stuck with the original.

HOME

RH_Jazz_Home_Mockup3-1.png

AWAY

RH_Jazz_Away_Mockup3-1.png

ALTERNATE

RH_Jazz_Alt_Mockup3-1.png

MODIFIED ALTERNATE

RH_Jazz_Alt_Mockup3-2.png

Yes indeed, to most it looks like the same logo, but the original simply looks better. :D

Sorry, I just think the correct basketball looks better then the incorrect version.

Anyway of your latest set of uniforms, I'm not a fan. The current Jazz/Utah wordmarks need to go. They're just generic. You were better off using the old school J note/Jazz script. Pair that script with solid no-outline NoBs and numbers and you'll have a very clean set. Your concept(s) on page 5 were pretty nice. I would suggest going back to those, use solid, no outline numbers, and switch it so the purple colour scheme is the primary set with the green as the alternate.

I personally like that design Wasatch, though I'm not a big fan of completely-different-pallete-alternate sets. Maybe the Jazz should keep some kind of purple around; you don't see it too much anymore. Again, make it indigo (blue-violet) in hopes of appeasing both crowds. The purple is kind of growing on me, though, but not too much. :alien:

Maybe even do indigo/green with some gold trim, and that might do well, if pulled off right.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I need to add that the reason why I went with the current wordmarks is because the basic one color wordmark of the 80?s, don?t really carry much appeal in today?s league. They're also a pain in the butt to incorporate into modern day uniform templates as I've found out in my own experience. I?m in love with the idea of the Jazz going back to their old school musical logo, but they need to also create a modern-retro wordmark that could be slapped on the uniforms. I personally don?t mind the current wordmarks if they?re used in the right fashion, they just haven?t been the past 5-6 years. I will defend my uniforms above and say that they?re a lot better than what they?re currently wearing! thcheers.gif

Anyone know if you that game on Friday is on ESPN? I don't have the League Pass with DirecTV so I doubt I will be able to see these unis unless the game is 1 of the Friday night matchups on ESPN. Probably just have to wait for Sportscenter highlights.BTW the current wordmark is horrible so what's the big deal with using the old one since it's better than the current.

Archived