Utah Jazz - Early '80s Green Road Unis

TruColor

The uniforms should look like this with your idea and my proposed changes.

Green uniform striping: inside to outside white, purple, gold.

White uniform striping: inside to outside purple, gold, green.

Purple uniform striping: inside to outside white, green, gold.

I can mockup how those would look but are we going with the following design template?

2009-10_Utah_Jazz_Hardwood.png

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more I look at these, they may be a little too simplified for today?s NBA. The Celtics may be able to get away with their design, but I?m not so sure having 3 different designs with the same piping is going to work when there?s so many dynamic uniforms today.

That and the fact that green and yellow are terrible colors for the Utah Jazz with no precedent except for the time they didn't like playing in Utah all the time. That looks like a TJMaxx version of the Supersonics. Enough with this green Jazz peccadillo.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Retro_Modern_Jazz_Home_Uni.png

This one is my favorite. I love the green and gold version. What would it look like with green numbers?

Here it is. I?m going to be working on some modernized versions today, with the retro wordmark.

Retro_Modern_Jazz_Home_Uni2.png

I like that a much better. What would it look like without the gold outline on the numbers? Also what if there was some purple splashed in there like on the piping like the old home uniforms. (Sorry, I would do this myself, but I am not a PhotoShop wizard).

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Try these babies on for size! thicon_biggrin.gif

RH_Jazz_Home_Mockup1-1.png

RH_Jazz_Away_Mockup1-1.png

RH_Jazz_Alt_Mockup1-1.png

I love those! But is there a different number font you could use? It seems a bit out of place.

True, I could use a better font for the numbers, but I thought it would give it more of that retro look. Perhaps you?re right though, it?s sort of taking away from the design. I?ll try some different fonts but off the top of your head, what would you recommend?

I was just talking with my wife last night about how this is a huge trend today - taking retro things and giving them a modern twist. It is evident in movies (remakes of classic movies, live action versions of stories of yesteryear - such as Where the Wild Things Are), music, and especially attire. For example, look at what the 76ers just did. (Somehow the T-Wolves missed the memo) So I think taking the old Jazz uniforms and giving them the modern flair is the way to go. The trouble is that many of the retro looks were based on their time in New Orleans, and thus the Mardi Gras colors. The current blues seem to be an attempt at distinguishing themselves from that era, and for a while they even seemed to be trying to make 'Jazz' some sort of vague term that had no real meaning, and thus marketable in outside of that specific identity (see Lakers, Knicks, Blazers). I was glad to see the music note back, even if in the new colors. I think these uniforms that you've mocked up are great.

My question is this: will the green and gold make people think of the Sonics, and thus take away from the Jazz's potentially unique identity? If you add purple, it directly point to New Orleans. How can you somehow grab the identity of Utah, keep a unique brand, as well as point to the past?

On a side note, I would love to doodle with creating other jerseys, are there any cheap or free programs that are suitable for working with these graphics apart from photoshop?

My question is this: will the green and gold make people think of the Sonics, and thus take away from the Jazz's potentially unique identity? If you add purple, it directly point to New Orleans. How can you somehow grab the identity of Utah, keep a unique brand, as well as point to the past?

Green and gold is the province of the Supersonics in basketball (third overall behind the Packers and A's), and just in case we get them back, it should be left for them to reclaim. This green and gold thing isn't them and never was; those uniforms date back to when they moved handfuls of home games to Las Vegas because Salt Lake City was on shaky footing as an NBA town. This, above all else, is the era of the Jazz to which you should never throw back.

On that note, if you'll pardon the expression, "pointing to the past" is largely irrelevant for a team that sucked in one town and has been in near-perpetual bridesmaidhood in the other. Stockton-to-Malone was great and all, but nothing so great as to call for preserving the team's identity in amber. Just like actual jazz, the team should be able to change and evolve without getting caught up in yearning for a bygone era that wasn't always as good as you remembered it being. In that respect, what the Jazz should've done was stick to the purple-sky-spruce-copper color scheme (which in some sense served as a Rocky Mountain update of the original purple-green-yellow +blue) and gently tweak the 1996-2004 uniforms to drop some of the gradients and other '90s trappings so that if you saw the Jazz, you'd know you're seeing the team that won back-to-back conference titles, which plays in Salt Lake City. The current uniforms do neither, and nor does the throwback offered as a full-time set.

I was just talking with my wife last night about how this is a huge trend today - taking retro things and giving them a modern twist. It is evident in movies (remakes of classic movies, live action versions of stories of yesteryear - such as Where the Wild Things Are), music, and especially attire. For example, look at what the 76ers just did. (Somehow the T-Wolves missed the memo) So I think taking the old Jazz uniforms and giving them the modern flair is the way to go. The trouble is that many of the retro looks were based on their time in New Orleans, and thus the Mardi Gras colors. The current blues seem to be an attempt at distinguishing themselves from that era, and for a while they even seemed to be trying to make 'Jazz' some sort of vague term that had no real meaning, and thus marketable in outside of that specific identity (see Lakers, Knicks, Blazers). I was glad to see the music note back, even if in the new colors. I think these uniforms that you've mocked up are great.

Thanks man! It?s nice to find someone who believes the same thing that I do; if they change their logo and go retro, then let?s bring back the old logo and colors and try to make the uniforms work in today?s league! thicon_biggrin.gif

No, I don?t think it?ll make people think of the Sonics; and partially because they no longer exist. Take the Jazz, Grizzlies, and Nuggets for example, they all have pretty similar blue color palettes, while there?s a vacancy with the Gold & Green combination, therefore allowing the Jazz to reclaim their heritage colors and take the throne.

Green and gold is the province of the Supersonics in basketball (third overall behind the Packers and A's), and just in case we get them back, it should be left for them to reclaim.

Like I said above, there's a vacancy in that spot, and if 2-3 teams can have a powder blue and navy color palettes, surely two teams can have Gold & Green with an additional color if necessary (depending on IF the Sonics come back).

This green and gold thing isn't them and never was; those uniforms date back to when they moved handfuls of home games to Las Vegas because Salt Lake City was on shaky footing as an NBA town. This, above all else, is the era of the Jazz to which you should never throw back.

I don't understand why they can't embrace even the bad years when other teams are doing the same. It's still a part of their history and after this year when they sport the new green Hardwood Classics, it wouldn't be that big of a shock to the league and it's fans for them to go in that direction.

Stockton-to-Malone was great and all, but nothing so great as to call for preserving the team's identity in amber.

thicon_lol.gif Wow, you're talking about Stockton and Malone, arguably the best point guard and power forward of all-time (which I'm sure you'll argue no doubt). They have two bronze statues outside the ESA (Energy Solutions Arena) and every Jazz fan today still looks back and wishes we had them on our team. The 80's and 90's here in SLC are regarded the golden years of the Jazz; even if they did struggle! So really, if the Pistons can go back to the Isiah and Dumars era, the Jazz can too. Championships have nothing to do with it.

In that respect, what the Jazz should've done was stick to the purple-sky-spruce-copper color scheme (which in some sense served as a Rocky Mountain update of the original purple-green-yellow +blue) and gently tweak the 1996-2004 uniforms to drop some of the gradients and other '90s trappings so that if you saw the Jazz, you'd know you're seeing the team that won back-to-back conference titles, which plays in Salt Lake City. The current uniforms do neither, and nor does the throwback offered as a full-time set.

There's a reason they got rid of copper, purple, and teal.....because the combo was strictly hideous, regardless of the success they had with it. The Utah Jazz will always be the "Jazz" and hopefully they'll stay in Utah for many many years to come! With that said, for the years to come, I personally as a Jazz fan, would like to see them get back to the true essence of this franchise and bring back the original colors, along with the original Jazz note logo. I know I'm not the only Jazz fan who feels this way because everyone here in SLC is buzzing about the possibility of it coming back.

thicon_lol.gif Wow, you're talking about Stockton and Malone, arguably the best point guard and power forward of all-time (which I'm sure you'll argue no doubt). They have two bronze statues outside the ESA (Energy Solutions Arena) and every Jazz fan today still looks back and wishes we had them on our team. The 80's and 90's here in SLC are regarded the golden years of the Jazz; even if they did struggle! So really, if the Pistons can go back to the Isiah and Dumars era, the Jazz can too. Championships have nothing to do with it.

Well, they kinda do, because that's why the Pistons did it. If you yearn for the golden years of the Jazz, wouldn't said years be 1997 and 1998?

I still believe in the potential of a Jazz wordmark that uses a saxophone and a mountain for the J and A.

Well, they kinda do, because that's why the Pistons did it. If you yearn for the golden years of the Jazz, wouldn't said years be 1997 and 1998?

You have an excellent point but the Jazz were just as dangerous pre '97 when Stockton and Malone were in their absolute prime! I wouldn't mind them bringing back the mountain jersey, just as long as it's a Hardwood 10 years from now.

I still believe in the potential of a Jazz wordmark that uses a saxophone and a mountain for the J and A.

No doubt, but you can't deny how good the original Jazz note looks.

Archived