Utah Jazz - Early '80s Green Road Unis

TruColor

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know if you that game on Friday is on ESPN? I don't have the League Pass with DirecTV so I doubt I will be able to see these unis unless the game is 1 of the Friday night matchups on ESPN. Probably just have to wait for Sportscenter highlights.BTW the current wordmark is horrible so what's the big deal with using the old one since it's better than the current.

I?ll be there so I?ll be sure to take some photos so I can post them on here. thicon_biggrin.gif

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

I feel like I?m repeating myself (I probably am), so oh well?.

I disagree on the wordmarks being generic; they?re only generic when put on generic looking uniforms. The Utah Jazz identity is in a crisis and is torn in between trying to create a new generic Utah-looking brand, or remaining true to its original roots.

Anyway, in a movement to ditch the green alternate, I decided to substitute it for the navy blue.

ALTERNATE

RH_Jazz_Alt_Mockup3-3.png

Icecap79 suggested that I go back to my first concept, so I paired it with the color set of the last concepts I created before this, and this was the result.

Also, BringBackTheVet said that when you have numbers that have more trim/outlining than your wordmark, it draws your focus more to them. I do happen to agree with this remark but the outlining on the numbers below is so thin (identical to the 80's Jazz uniforms) that it doesn't really pull the attention away from the wordmark or the rest of the uniform.

HOME

RH_Jazz_Home_Mockup4-1.png

AWAY

RH_Jazz_Away_Mockup4-1.png

ALTERNATE

RH_Jazz_Alt_Mockup4-1.png

The Deseret News ran this article today about the retro green jerseys. Let's play a little game called, "Find the Blatant Errors." The winner gets the satisfaction of being validated as an obscure 1980's NBA Jersey nut.

Errors? How about calling them updates, or even improvements? The Hardwood Classics are pretty much identical except the logos and numbers and stitched on and Adidas is using a brighter green and yellow. I think these are many steps up from what they wore in the early 80's!

There were some very interested player quotes in that Deseret News article. Williams said...

Williams is just relieved the Jazz don't have to wear the uniforms Utah wore in the 1990s ? the purple and white ones with the mountains plastered all over the tops and shorts. In fact, he almost feels bad for his shooting coach whose No. 14 jersey in that style hangs in EnergySolutions Arena's rafters.

"The mountain logo's one of the ugliest jerseys that ever has been in an NBA arena," Williams said. "That's why I said Jeff Hornacek shouldn't have it up there. They should just put the Jazz note for him, too, regardless of if he wore it or not. That jersey's horrendous."

thicon_lol.gif Finally, someone agrees with me that the mountain uniforms were horrible! thicon_puke_r.gif

Paul Millsap apparently loves the old note uniforms too...

"I actually like those (J-note uniforms)," said the Louisiana native, who was born six years after the Jazz left his home state. "If we can go back to those, that'd be great."

The Jazz note, I'm sorry, only works in New Orleans. Let it go until the NBA does the right thing and trades the names so that we have the:

- Utah Hornets

- New Orleans Jazz

So trading names is now an ethical matter? The only ethical thing the NBA should do is return the Sonics to Seattle.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Archived