3D Rendered Helmet Tutorial

Davidson

Guest darkpiranha

These are fantastic. Can't wait for the uniforms. I love how you have a nice variety of stripes/no stripes, traditional logo on side of helmet/logo element rising from edges of helmet, etc. Nice bold color schemes you don't see a lot of currently.

Not go get all Georgia Tech-y or Oregon-y on it, but one thing I'd be curious to see is the Swarm with a very faint continuation of the logo's hex shapes across the rest of the helmet. Same size and shape as the one in the logo. I know everyone hates GT, but since the hex shape is so prominent on the Swarm logo itself, it might work here.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Geauxcolonels

Hmm..I'm not sure I understand your question though.

I haven't used any masks on my work, The most difficult thing to do is free transforming the logos once you place them on the layer. I used the warp tool on the 3/4 view to get that fish-eye effect. But I haven't really been using photoshop long enough to understand masking.

As far as I know, this template is 100% ready to go

Founder and Commissioner, World Gridiron

@Geauxcolonels

I haven't used any masks on my work, The most difficult thing to do is free transforming the logos once you place them on the layer. I used the warp tool on the 3/4 view to get that fish-eye effect. But I haven't really been using photoshop long enough to understand masking.

Well, I'm using GIMP so that may be the problem. In Frasier's earlier templates he posted on here, you used masks. Maybe these are a more advance template that GIMP can't handle.

gYH2mW9.png

@Geauxcolonels

Well, I'm using GIMP so that may be the problem. In Frasier's earlier templates he posted on here, you used masks. Maybe these are a more advance template that GIMP can't handle.

Yes they are I am not able to use them in Photoshop Elements

• 2 weeks later...

Davison, thank you so much for this thread. It really is great work. I was wondering if you had tried getting a realistic matte look on the more recent revolution helmet. I messed around with the layers and this is about as close as I could come without losing the 3D look to the helmet:

13helmet.jpg

Julius, those designs are great. Are those logos originals? Are they for a league of some sort or just for fun? The snake helmet is incredible.

• 2 months later...

Brand new to the site, like 30 mins ago new, but i been visiting this site for the last couple of years, don't know why it took me so long to join up. Anyways I been reading this thread for the last 2 days and It seems like some people are having trouble with using the helmets based in the program they use. This one was my attempt at it using gimp. I did my best, there is a small transparent gap in the facemask area, too little to even notice, but here is the "revo" style helmet in .xcf format..... I have i linked at my deviant art page for the .XCF format. Just tryna help. Hope I didn't step on the OP's toes with this. And by all means props to him, his work is very inspiring. Here is a screen shot from what I got in my gimp program.

Editing the colors should be pretty self explanatory. And adding the logo, I just simply added it a layer above the green helmet layer. It turned out pretty decent to me, considering its not Photoshop. Hope this helps all those gimp users.....

screen_shot_2013_04_20_at_4_31_15_pm_by_djray1985-d62eigx.png

Gimp Template link:

http://djray1985.deviantart.com/art/Revo-Helmet-Template-366832330?ga_submit_new=10%253A1366493429

Probably could have did better with the actual placement/ angle of the logo but I was actually in a rush and im kinda still messing around with it all. Anyway this is a logo I have been working on for my old HighSchool, still a work in progress...

8666991484_d1fd0fa539.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone here know how to get this color & texture for the new Notre Dame helmets? I use Photoshop CS5. I tried different colors and gold gradients and add noise to the helmet but I can't seem to get the right combination. Any tips & info would be great.

newndhelmetportraitdram.png

• 2 weeks later...

Brand new to the site, like 30 mins ago new, but i been visiting this site for the last couple of years, don't know why it took me so long to join up. Anyways I been reading this thread for the last 2 days and It seems like some people are having trouble with using the helmets based in the program they use. This one was my attempt at it using gimp. I did my best, there is a small transparent gap in the facemask area, too little to even notice, but here is the "revo" style helmet in .xcf format..... I have i linked at my deviant art page for the .XCF format. Just tryna help. Hope I didn't step on the OP's toes with this. And by all means props to him, his work is very inspiring. Here is a screen shot from what I got in my gimp program.

Editing the colors should be pretty self explanatory. And adding the logo, I just simply added it a layer above the green helmet layer. It turned out pretty decent to me, considering its not Photoshop. Hope this helps all those gimp users.....

screen_shot_2013_04_20_at_4_31_15_pm_by_djray1985-d62eigx.png

Gimp Template link:

http://djray1985.deviantart.com/art/Revo-Helmet-Template-366832330?ga_submit_new=10%253A1366493429

Probably could have did better with the actual placement/ angle of the logo but I was actually in a rush and im kinda still messing around with it all. Anyway this is a logo I have been working on for my old HighSchool, still a work in progress...

8666991484_d1fd0fa539.jpg

This is great. I'm going to download this as soon as I get back on the computer.

Nice logo. You working on a West Jeff rebrand?

gYH2mW9.png

:What you need to do is: 1 copy the mask layer as a new image 2.make the image with all the layers in it active 3.right click the top most layer on the layer palette (right side of the screen) 4.click New Mask Layer 5.click From Image then from the dropdown menu find the one named whatever the copied mask layer (in step 1) and now you should see the mask layer as Mask Group 1. Note: you will have to drag the remaining layers under Mask Group 1 and place them in the proper order.

Archived