3D Rendered Helmet Tutorial

Davidson

A couple of notes about this template, which is found here: http://rezland.deviantart.com/art/Revolution-Speed-Template-280301179

I am BEGGING anyone with the skills to design a complete PROFILE version of this helmet in a template. I love the template, just wish there was a complete profile version and not slightly off center.

Also, the thing I loved about this template compared to the one that started this thread was the fact that there are TWO separate layers for the Face Mask AND the Helmet Color. Makes things SOOOO much easier when playing with colors because you can now use the "Color Overlay" tool in effects and are not locked into playing with the RED and BLUE in "Color Replace" that come with the template that started this thread.

I am no Photoshop Pro by any means, but I do know my way around layers and basic design.

If you would like me to design a helmet for you for your fantasy team or anything else, just drop me a not here and I will do one up for you, no charge. I have already done 4 leagues this year, and I just dig doing it. Just let me know your team name (doesn't matter what it is, I can come up with something creative), and the colors you would like to use (or if you have a favorite NFL team you'd like to base it on).

All the best.

Ty

http://www.mediafire.com/download/rpk0u1ye5hgsnfr/Revolution+Speed+Helmet+REAL+Template.psd

JeKhnr9.png

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@mgdmhl Yes, I have seen this one. But I'm looking for this exact helmet, with layers, on exact profile by itself, not with two other looks.

Thank you though.

You know you can delete the layers of the two sides you don't want. Then crop the canvas to fit just the side you want, so you don't have extra space on the sides of the canvas.

JeKhnr9.png

Thanks again to Mr. Fraser Davidson for the FREE TEMPLATES on this post. You have helped with a concept of mine that involves creating fantasy helmets for a league that is based on Marvel Comic Superheros. Here is one of the teams that I made using all 7 templates. It is really neat to see the concept from multiple views. Outstanding tutorial as well.

Multipleviewsof3dtemplates_zpsae88628a.p

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I just found this board and I love all the work you guys have done. The directions you have given are excellent. I just have a question, is their a trick or an easy way to do a stripe on a helmet? Because no matter what I do, I totally butcher it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

What I like to do on photoshop is use the triangle shape tool apex at the top. Rasterize the shape stretch it and then do a spherize by going to Filter / Distort / Spherize/ I play around with it until I get the stripe in the correct perspective. That's one way that works for me. I don't know if you work much in photoshop. Maybe someone else can post another way. Hope this helps.

What I like to do on photoshop is use the triangle shape tool apex at the top. Rasterize the shape stretch it and then do a spherize by going to Filter / Distort / Spherize/ I play around with it until I get the stripe in the correct perspective. That's one way that works for me. I don't know if you work much in photoshop. Maybe someone else can post another way. Hope this helps.

Thank You, that helped alot! I am struggling with the spherize but atleast I have a stripe now.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone update the tutorial to a youtube video , im having difficulty getting the settings right!!!

Not sure about a youtube video, but I might be able to help. Depends on what settings you are having trouble with.

Also for those having trouble with stripes on the helmets and who don't have Photoshop, I'm going to try creating the stripe in a program called Pixelmator and see if I can improve the smoothness of the stripe.

It's been a while since I've visited this thread, and there are a few things I want to try now that I'm a bit better with some programs.

Also, I'll have to search the thread for ways to get the "glitter" metallic effect, like that of the Ohio State silver helmet. I also might have a figure out how to do the Metallic chrome/aluminum shine effect. Just a matter of a few tests with the helmet templates. :)

Here are some helmets of some teams in the NFL that I think need updating. Check em out and let me know what y'all think.

New Los Angeles Rams (Incorporated silver to reflect "Tinsel Town" while still paying homage to the original colors of blue and yellow)

NwUM2qy.jpg

New Oakland Raiders. They call themselves the silver and black, so why not make them actual SILVER.

VvttNLW.jpg

New SF 49ers (Borrowed this logo from something I found online)

XWTGGho.jpg

New Buffalo Bills. (Again borrowed a logo from something I found online)

TyB4mXg.jpg

New Cleveland Browns (Isn't it time to add a logo to their helmet? This logo pays homage to the FANS in the Dog Pound. Again, borrowed logo)

EaHTEH2.jpg

Arizona Cardinals (The team redesigned their uniforms a few years back but yet did nothing to their helmets. This incorporates the black they added to their uniforms and will finally bury that old, tired St. Louis Cardinals look.)

qD5Ht1q.jpg

More....

New San Diego Chargers (Always loved their powder blue uniforms. This helmet makes that powder blue the more dominant color)

HsZldTi.jpg

Indianapolis Colts ( Adding some shine to the Colts rather boring blue and white. The silver makes the helmet and logo pop more and again finally buries that old Baltimore Colts look.)

5txh1YN.jpg

Kansas City Chiefs (One of my favs here. They are the CHIEFS after all, so make em look like CHIEFS!)

VpDqCgm.jpg

New York Jets (Always wondered why the Jets didn't have an actual JET on their helmets. Again, borrowed logo, but I love how it incorporates city buildings into the shape of a Jet. Also brought back the old colors from the 80s-90s Jets. Looks more fierce.)

0nHVGsb.jpg

Detroit Lions ( I have ALWAYS thought the Lions logo was WEAK. The leaping Lion doesn't instill fear. Again borrowed logo here that is much better. Added a brushed circular steel look to the helmet that looks a bit like a disc break to represent "Motor City."

ttWl7Hm.jpg

Atlanta Falcons (Okay so the Falcons changed their colors to dominant black to reflect Jerry Glanville's wardrobe choices back in the 90's! Well, he is LONG gone. Let's give the Falcons their original colors back but updated in a cool way.)

ZN1vIyu.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived