3D Rendered Helmet Tutorial

Davidson

Thanks for the great work.

I am using gimp and cannot get rid of the jagged edges, any assistance would be of great help! Thanks again for thework and help here.

setting mulitply on 4th layer

WSna22D.gif

YKBcuDz.png
I am the guy who loves Wisconsin

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Does any have an Idea on how to get the satin look like this years Utah Helmet on a helmet template?

gettyimages-487098834.jpg?w=620&h=349&cr

Utah%20Utes%20Red%20Satin_zpsvpbx011x.pn

He was asking for instructions (tutorial) on how to get the satin look, not just a graphic of a satin helmet.

I'd love to learn how you did this so I can for Texas A&M. Feel free to message me or post on here. Thanks!

Yeah I tried to reach him to give instruction but hes got his profile blocked off!

Could you share the instructions in this thread? I'm sure their are other people (me included) that would like to know how to give helmets a satin look.

JeKhnr9.png

First of all I use an older version of Paint Shop Pro so Photoshop users may or may not be familiar with the terminology but I know the layers are pretty similar. Secondly, this technique will work on the template I use I'm not certain if it will with other templates. But you may be able to apply similar steps and get the same effect if you play around with the layers enough.

To get the matte finish effect you have to blur the layers used for highlights, namely the Ambient and Specular layers. What I found works best is to copy both of those layers then turn the old layers off and work with the newly copied layers. Also turn off the Reflection layer. Use a Gaussian Blur with a radius between 10 - 20 percent to get a decent blur. Once you do that for both layers. Copy them again. Now you have four new layers. Change the Blend mode on one of the Ambient layers to Dodge then adjust the Opacity level for both Ambient layers to whatever suits you. Next change the Blend Mode on one of the Specular layers to Luminance and once again adjust the Opacity levels of both layers to your liking. That should about do it.

Note: blurring will drastically lower the level of detail (specifically fine lines and fine highlights) in layer being modified. So you may want to find a way to "merge" old and new levels to retain the finer details.

First of all I use an older version of Paint Shop Pro so Photoshop users may or may not be familiar with the terminology but I know the layers are pretty similar. Secondly, this technique will work on the template I use I'm not certain if it will with other templates. But you may be able to apply similar steps and get the same effect if you play around with the layers enough.

To get the matte finish effect you have to blur the layers used for highlights, namely the Ambient and Specular layers. What I found works best is to copy both of those layers then turn the old layers off and work with the newly copied layers. Also turn off the Reflection layer. Use a Gaussian Blur with a radius between 10 - 20 percent to get a decent blur. Once you do that for both layers. Copy them again. Now you have four new layers. Change the Blend mode on one of the Ambient layers to Dodge then adjust the Opacity level for both Ambient layers to whatever suits you. Next change the Blend Mode on one of the Specular layers to Luminance and once again adjust the Opacity levels of both layers to your liking. That should about do it.

Note: blurring will drastically lower the level of detail (specifically fine lines and fine highlights) in layer being modified. So you may want to find a way to "merge" old and new levels to retain the finer details.

Thanks, I've been trying to get that on our matte helmets this year, and just haven't gotten it right.

Thanks Fraser I really appreciate the comment especially coming from you! And thanks for such a great template too. You've given whole bunch of people a great creative outlet. Hated to see your deviant art site shut down. Hope to see some more excellent work from you soon.

His page is gone, if somebody any of these templates can you share them??

-thanks in advance

Would anyone have suggestions on how to remove/suppress the chinstrap? I use GIMP, so not sure if this is a function lost during conversion. IMO, I prefer helmet usage without the chinstrap.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Just tried for hours to do this, lol. I still have no clue what i'm doing. I'm brand new to photoshop and would rather not throw my computer at the wall out of frustration.

If anyone would be cool enough to make one for me that'd be awesome.

Marc

• 2 months later...
On August 9, 2016 at 7:22 PM, windsorpg said:

Just tried for hours to do this, lol. I still have no clue what i'm doing. I'm brand new to photoshop and would rather not throw my computer at the wall out of frustration.

If anyone would be cool enough to make one for me that'd be awesome.

Marc

Bump

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, tforbes2011 said:

Did anyone ever find out how to get a chrome layer for a helmet?

Instead of pasting a chrome object and making the layer "overlay"

I've found that the approach can differ slightly, depending on what you are trying to reflect.

In most cases, I use a base color, then place a layer (slightly increased contrast) as a grain merge or addition, then another color as an addition. Finally, I apply an extra layer which provides some extra sheen. I created the last layer mentioned by distorting the color lines.

Hope this helps!

14 hours ago, tforbes2011 said:

Did anyone ever find out how to get a chrome layer for a helmet?

Instead of pasting a chrome object and making the layer "overlay"

I could have sworn that this topic had something on chrome layers, but I didn't see anything when I did a quick cursory view....

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

Archived