3D Rendered Helmet Tutorial

Davidson

You may not have meant to be rude, but remember, you are on the internet. Here, no one knows how you may have meant something, or the tone you are using. Just be careful what you say, and how you word it, or you may end up coming off as a :censored:

Yeesh man, I haven't said anything but the stabs between you guys have gone to far. Maybe you should take into account what you told him. He "lol'd" at a point you made, and naturally you would assume he was laughing at his mistake...

Take a minute to consider the general tone you've had over the last few posts, and try to take it easy...

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The oranges don't match, that's a problem.

Thanks Chuck! lol

What is the lol for, the color in the logo and the color of the helmet do not match. I was trying to help you, no need to be a :censored: about it.

I know i have not been here for to long but I'm not looking for any Flaming. Your taking offense to me laughing. I'm laughing it off yea i see the difference in the color after you pointed it out. No need to get you panties in a bunch!

Mike, chuckdownfield has a proven track record for a propensity to read more into things and overreact a bit.

Just ignore him.

An old NightRiders conception of mine (before I learned of the racial connotations of the name!)

Riders-1.png

My Bears concept, basic really, but the "C" belongs to the Reds!

Bears.jpg

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

My Bears concept, basic really, but the "C" belongs to the Reds!

Bears.jpg

The metallic on the helmet looks kinda overdone to me.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

I just tilted my MacBook screen forward and see what you mean!

Had I been at my other Mac when playing, I would have had a better view.

My bad!

This angle of the Riders helmet does not show the stripe tails to red/white stripes ala U.S. flag.

And my stars are at an incorrect angle/perspective, so I got more tweaking to do there!

I received no comments on my Flintstones helmet :cry:

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

I just tilted my MacBook screen forward and see what your mean!

Had I been at my other Mac when playing, I would have had a better view.

My bad!

This angle of the Riders helmet does not show the stripe tails to red/white stripes ala U.S. flag.

And my stars are at an incorrect angle/perspective, so I got more tweaking to do there!

I received no comments on my Flintstones helmet :cry:

I did like the wood looking facemask, but the helmet shell wasnt too good in my book.

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Patchez, you of all people shouldn't be calling me out. Patchez, the master of racist and offensive concepts, the master of wasted talent, and the master of overreactions.

I revisit my point...but maybe I'm just talking to myself...forget it before this turns away from the intended point of the thread...

Anyhow, back to Patchez, yeah, I noticed the helmet stripe, did you do the stripe in illustrator and import it like the graphic? I've tried to play around with creating a helmet stripe within PS but my skillset is basic, and yeah, the Metallic could use a bit less noise...

This whole thing is kind of laughable... it's times like this that I feel compelled to remind everyone that this is a forum for discussing sports logos; the hostility is sometimes dumbfounding.

I don't want to be a moderator wannabe, but if you have any qualms I would take it to private message rather than derail a topic as useful and demonstrative of the community we should strive for as this one.

What are you guys doing to get the Decal look on the logos are you just adding a thin white outline on your logo?

Check the first post on page 4.

Anyhow, back to Patchez, yeah, I noticed the helmet stripe, did you do the stripe in illustrator and import it like the graphic? I've tried to play around with creating a helmet stripe within PS but my skillset is basic, and yeah, the Metallic could use a bit less noise...

I started in Illustrator since I was following davidson suggestion for "warping" the decal there, so while in AI, I created a stripe.

I placed the PS helmet in a layer in AI in order to build upon (trace) that shape.

Using AI's Warp -> Arch or Arc (vertical) setting (experimented with both) and played with various specs I got as close as I can to what I wanted.

Riders-2.png

When I brought that into PS, I "hated it!" But by rotating it a bit I settled for that result. That's why I am not satisfied with my stars.

The bottom of the stars lower tips should appear closer to parallel to the mask's crossbars.

For the Bears decal, I did the distortion in PS only. I first scaled the logo horizontally only a wee bit,

then did a slight perspective distort and finally, after creating a marquee circle with the elliptical select tool about the size of the helmet as a whole,

making sure the Bears logo was in the upper left hand side of that round selection,

I simply used PS's Distort -> Spherize filter, trying different settings, settling for that result.

I hope that make sense!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Final one of the night, Carolina Panthers "Retro" Helmet:

CarolinaPanthers_Helmet_Vintage_Sid.png

Not to nitpick, but on your decal here, I see an inner bevel butt up against the logo itself that does not look natural.

On the cat's right ear and left wiskers.

What I do, is with the decal on its own layer, I select of blank area outside the shape of the art, invert my selection (art is now selected)

Modify -> Expand the selection by about 6 pixels. Create a new layer, fill the highlighted area with any color.

Finally Bevel/Emboss this layer but making sure you reduce the Fill Opacity to 0%.

This makes a good decal outline.

davidson, how much did you spend on buying the 3D helmet model? Just curious.

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Thanks for the tip Patchez, I was having some problems with the Decal look as well. Here is my first real attempt with the template. Next I want to try the latest template.

This is the Atlanta Foxes, TFoA's WAFL team. The logo was done by me. I went for a slightly iridescent look, with a red-orange/yellow orange. Not sure if it was succesful or not.

FoxesHelmet.png

MegatronSig2.jpg

Thanks for the tip Patchez, I was having some problems with the Decal look as well. Here is my first real attempt with the template. Next I want to try the latest template.

This is the Atlanta Foxes, TFoA's WAFL team. The logo was done by me. I went for a slightly iridescent look, with a red-orange/yellow orange. Not sure if it was succesful or not.

FoxesHelmet.png

I like that a lot, good job.

Archived