3D Rendered Helmet Tutorial

Davidson

Thanks for the tip Patchez, I was having some problems with the Decal look as well. Here is my first real attempt with the template. Next I want to try the latest template.

This is the Atlanta Foxes, TFoA's WAFL team. The logo was done by me. I went for a slightly iridescent look, with a red-orange/yellow orange. Not sure if it was succesful or not.

I love your Foxes logo! I wish logos came more easier for myself!

Looking at your center stripe and my NightRiders stripe, I wish davidson could render the helmet on an angle with the helmet turned

slightly to it's right (our left). This would allow more of the stripe to show as it aligns with the front center piece the mask attaches to.

But davidson has so much for us already!

EDIT: On second thought, less of the decal would show, unless twisting the helmet could be done on the other axis

which result in making any sense considering an artificial horizon.

WTF, I am too sleepy and confusing myself... never mind!!!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK i know this is going to be Funny. but i was wanted to just play with this for a bit to get everything down. So i took a hockey Logo and put it on the Football helmet. I know i'm going to get shot for this LOL buy the Football lovers. and maybe some hockey lovers HEHE. but i just wanted to see what you all think of the over all look of it, and the execution.

Here goes nothing!!!!!!!

CoyotiesFootball.jpg

MikePho3niX.png

Awesome work brotha! Keep it up and are the .PSD files posted anywhere?

Best,

Mike Jones

Yeah, I posted one for the first helmet and the last one just look through the thread.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

OK i know this is going to be Funny. but i was wanted to just play with this for a bit to get everything down. So i took a hockey Logo and put it on the Football helmet. I know i'm going to get shot for this LOL buy the Football lovers. and maybe some hockey lovers HEHE. but i just wanted to see what you all think of the over all look of it, and the execution.

Here goes nothing!!!!!!!

CoyotiesFootball.jpg

I love it! If you like doing them, please start a new thread and do 'em all.. and AHL too!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Here goes nothing!!!!!!!

CoyotiesFootball.jpg

I love it! If you like doing them, please start a new thread and do 'em all.. and AHL too!

You really think so? LOL i kinda do like it! lol

MikePho3niX.png

Riders-1.png

Patchez, how did you manage to get that glitter metallic effect on the helmet?

What I do, is with the decal on its own layer, I select of blank area outside the shape of the art, invert my selection (art is now selected)

Modify -> Expand the selection by about 6 pixels. Create a new layer, fill the highlighted area with any color.

Finally Bevel/Emboss this layer but making sure you reduce the Fill Opacity to 0%.

This makes a good decal outline.

Thanks Patchez for this tip, it works wonderfully!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Patchez, how did you manage to get that glitter metallic effect on the helmet?

I believe he went to filter>noise>add noise. Just adjust the settings until you get the desired effect.

Sweet, thanks. Looks like 7% to 8% is perfect. Is that the same assessment from everyone else?

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Love the hockey concept! I decided to try and tweak my "decal" presentation, to try to make it more realistic, and wanted to try the "iridescent" look that -(dp)- posted with his, so I decided to try out a Jaguars helmet:

JacksonvilleJaguars_Helmet_SidePers.png

Nice job on the iridescent look, but I have to say I didn't like the idea when they announced it and still dont like it now. What I loved about the Jags helmet was that the logo essentially had no outlines at all, the whole helmet became part of the logo. It was a ballsy move imo, no other NFL team used negative space in such a way and it really set them apart. Now with the teal iridescence that's lost and the outlines become visible completely undoing a brave move that made them unique, ah well that's "progress" I guess.

Oh yeah watch how you're selecting the face mask you still have some green artifacts around some of the edges.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Hi everyone! I am new to the site and already I'm in love with this helmet design. Can someone please tell me how to alter the face mask color separate from the helmet coloring? I have a team that features a diesel train as a logo. Any help would be appreciated

Oh yeah watch how you're selecting the face mask you still have some green artifacts around some of the edges.

9erssteve

Ah! Missed that, thanks for pointing it out, in the future, whats the best way to select the mask to recolor? I've been using the magic wand tool, is there an overlay or pixel padding option to select outside of the normal selection a few more pixels? I consider myself a photoshop novice, so your help is appreciated! thanks man,

Clif

Archived