Nike Pro Combat Teams

BamaHater

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I think the "throwback" uniforms were the most disappointing ones of the bunch. Nike clearly tried to do something different with these, and while I don't like some of them for full-time uniforms (like Florida State), they looked pretty damn good as one-off designs. I wish that they had tried to be even more bold and out there with some of the other schools that had participated (or, if they weren't willing to participate, add a school that would have worn the new jersey).

Miami's looked great despite being all-white, something I usually do not like. The numbers matched up very well with their U logo on the helmets.

I thought I would not like LSU's until I saw them in action. Despite looking like Huskies, that helmet color and the striping on the uniforms looked great, although, they need to stick with the traditional yellow.

Mizzou looked beautiful. The gray looks great, it's a color that works very well on cars also, even though you could never imagine gray looking anything but boring.

87Redskins.png

It seems that Mizzou used a different uni than what was revealed. The sleeves don't have the yellow stripe in them and are all yellow. The helmet seems a lot lighter, too, though I guess it's the lighting.

Pretty sure it's the exact same one that was revealed. In the full body picture, you just can't see the gold on the sleeves.

I really loved these though. If Nike's plan was to go out of the box with these, they definitely succeeded with FSU, TCU, and Mizzou. Everyone else was just a modification of their current uni's, or a throwback design. I wouldn't mind seeing a full home/away set in this design for Mizzou, with a little more gold added.

I was at the Mizzou-KU game and got to see the uniforms in action from 37 rows up as well as seeing the full uniform up-close on a mannequin that was stationed in the Mizzou tailgate area. From even the slightest distance, the helmet looked solid charcoal with no way to distinguish the decals from the helmet whatsoever. I guess that's part of the whole stealth concept. The shells of the helmet were not "primer flat" so to speak but certainly lacked pop. The decal looked like an afterthought or some scrap lettering lying around. With the exception of the contrast stitching on the shoulders, I thought the jerseys were okay. The pants looked nice as well. Keep in mind, I understand this is Nike's taking "poetic liberties" with traditional (relatively speaking) college uniforms and colors. On that basis, I think the uniforms were okay but for the helmets. I have no interest whatsoever in seeing these on the field of play again. I think Nike did a fine job updating the Tiger football kits in 2005 and would like to see those remain as the program's standard.

I'm pretty sure Oregon's going to break their version of this out tomorrow. Chip Kelly was just interviewed on Portland sports radio and when asked what the Ducks would wear, he said it's top secret and all new and that Nike has cooked up something extra special for them.

Looking forward to it.

Miami's looked great despite being all-white, something I usually do not like. The numbers matched up very well with their U logo on the helmets.

I thought I would not like LSU's until I saw them in action. Despite looking like Huskies, that helmet color and the striping on the uniforms looked great, although, they need to stick with the traditional yellow.

Mizzou looked beautiful. The gray looks great, it's a color that works very well on cars also, even though you could never imagine gray looking anything but boring.

Despite the "throwback" attempt (which is a joke to call it that because I don't ever remember LSU wearing pants stripes that started and stopped in the middle of the side of the pants legs), this LSU alum thinks those uniforms need to hit the mothballs forever. The helmet was the best part of the uniform, but the eye has been trained to the yellow for so long and that yellow color needs to stay.

And I'm content to let the other schools have the incredibly boring white jersey-white pants combo. What's the point of having school colors if you're going to reduce them to mere trim and accent colors on your jersey and pants? Frankly, I wish LSU would wear purple jerseys at home more. But I can live with the predominate use of white jerseys at home because of tradition. But I don't want to see LSU in white pants any time soon.

To be honest, I think the "throwback" uniforms were the most disappointing ones of the bunch. Nike clearly tried to do something different with these, and while I don't like some of them for full-time uniforms (like Florida State), they looked pretty damn good as one-off designs. I wish that they had tried to be even more bold and out there with some of the other schools that had participated (or, if they weren't willing to participate, add a school that would have worn the new jersey).

A lot of people have made a statement like this, but from a marketing standpoint it makes perfect sense to throw in designs like Texas and LSU alongside more bold designs like FSU and TCU. This is Nike's new system of dress that they plan on implementing on a wide scale soon. They want to appeal to as many programs as possible. Uniform designs like TCU and FSU are great in that fashion runway sense of showing the possibilities of the new materials and fabric cuts. However, not every program is going to want feathers coming out of their pants, or crazy patterns, or blood shooting from their eyes. A lot of programs are very traditional and want to maintain that look. All they want is a simple Northwestern stripe or colored cuffs. And uniforms like Texas and LSU show that Nike's new Pro Combat Uniforms can do that, too. The flashy designs draw the attention, but the more traditional looks, in a lot of cases, will draw contracts with schools. Those more conservative pseudo-throwback designs weren't a waste at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Are any of these returning for next season?

These wiil be the standard uniforms for all Division 1 Nike schools I would guess. I doubt they will all get them next year. It'll probably take a few years before all teams receive them. I think schools only get new uniforms every 2-3 years.

These wiil be the standard uniforms for all Division 1 Nike schools I would guess. I doubt they will all get them next year. It'll probably take a few years before all teams receive them. I think schools only get new uniforms every 2-3 years.

Most of them were stated to have been 1-time things. No way that many schools make those drastic of changes full-time. The anthracite was cool for Mizzou the one time, but there would be riots if they went away from the black and gold.

Most of them were stated to have been 1-time things. No way that many schools make those drastic of changes full-time. The anthracite was cool for Mizzou the one time, but there would be riots if they went away from the black and gold.

hes talking about the template not the designs

Archived