• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 BringBackTheVet

BringBackTheVet
  • 35 - 0, 29 KO

• Members
  • 18,912 posts

Posted December 10, 2009 - 10:25

Saw this link on UniWatch. Honestly, I didn't even know that we had an old logo, let alone a new one.

Philadelphia New Logo

The article pretty much sums up my feelings about this one. I too think it's just so obvious and cliche to use the Liberty Bell as the basis of a logo for a city like Philadelphia. For a city that is by far the largest in its state as well as being one of the largest in the whole country, I think there could be so much more to draw inspiration from than the tired old bell. I get that Philadelphia is big on tourism, and a lot of that tourism is due to its historical significance, but I'm just tired of bells. I guess it could have been worse - they could have worked Rocky in there somewhere.

I do like how they adapted it to be used for all of the different city agencies, and I think it could work if all of the signage is updated to reflect this new logo. If it's just a logo that exists on a website and nowhere else, then I have to wonder what the point was.

The web 2.0 effects that they used really suck though. I'm kind of indifferent towards the motto "Life Liberty and You". I kind of liked the old one "Enjoy our past, experience our future" a little better, but it doesn't really matter much I guess.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

#2 JQK

JQK
  • Over There...

• Members
  • 10,727 posts

• Favourite Logos:‍‎ 
      Chicago Black Hawks
      New Jersey Devils
      Hartford Whalers
      Hershey Bears (2012)

Posted December 10, 2009 - 11:44

Posted Image

Better? Worse? Same?

#3 Mockba

Mockba
  • Ibarra: for club and country

• The Man Behind the Curtain
  • 12,981 posts

Posted December 10, 2009 - 11:47

I still don't get the backlash on this one, really. Aside from the strange tan/green thing going on with the Financial Services logo, I find the whole thing to be very clean. I think the UC people like to bash on anything that isn't "edgy" enough--meaning that it wasn't done by someone cool and hip enough.
SupportYourLocalClub.com | 106 years... and counting | KevinJoseph.net | Behance portfolio
POTD 2013-08-22

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

#4 pagan696

pagan696

• Members
  • 1,733 posts

Posted December 10, 2009 - 13:22

i like the web 2.0 looks. very clean and modern
Carolina Dreamin'
ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

#5 VC//

VC//
  • VC//

• Members
  • 1,487 posts

• Favourite Logos:Penguins and Steelers.

Posted December 10, 2009 - 14:04

Where is the black and white jail pinstripes?
GO PENGUINS GO!
3x Stanley Cup Champions

#6 EddieJ1984

EddieJ1984

• Members
  • 2,212 posts

Posted December 10, 2009 - 23:10

As a philadelphian, I don't mind it. I just don't care for the stripe at the bottom of bell.
Yea yea I know, the shoulda made it a cheesesteak logo lol

#7 Quillz

Quillz
  • Enlightened

• Members
  • 1,609 posts

• Favourite Logos:Angels
      Blue Jays
      Dodgers
      Rams

Posted December 11, 2009 - 03:19

I don't like the "Life. Liberty. And You." slogan for some reason.

#8 BringBackTheVet

BringBackTheVet
  • 35 - 0, 29 KO

• Members
  • 18,912 posts

Posted December 11, 2009 - 09:04

I don't like the "Life. Liberty. And You." slogan for some reason.

The worst part of it is that they separate each word with a mark, but that only really works when each section is just one word. The "and you" part just doesn't work in this style.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

#9 illwauk

illwauk
  • "Hey, up yours Springfield!"

• Members
  • 6,952 posts

Posted December 11, 2009 - 13:13

I still don't get the backlash on this one, really. Aside from the strange tan/green thing going on with the Financial Services logo, I find the whole thing to be very clean. I think the UC people like to bash on anything that isn't "edgy" enough--meaning that it wasn't done by someone cool and hip enough.

You're gonna have to break that one down for me, fam...

Personally, I like the logo, but I definitely understand why people would have a problem with it. The Liberty Bell only appeals to people who were already well aware of its existence. It's not gonna wet the curiosity of outsiders who might feel compelled to visit Phily... in fact, it pretty much tells them that nothing has changed in Phily since Rocky was filmed. Yet anytime someone dare criticizes a city for sticking with stodgy old imagery over newer things that would actually give outsiders a more three-dimensional view of said city, they become the target of knee-jerk accusations of being a pretentious artsy weirdo with a superiority complex (which is hilarious considering who's actually stereotyping who).

Bucks34Tradition1_zpse4b77760.png

(Yes, I'm a Bucks fan again... provided the new owners don't find a way to f~~k this up.)

#10 Mockba

Mockba
  • Ibarra: for club and country

• The Man Behind the Curtain
  • 12,981 posts

Posted December 11, 2009 - 13:33

UC = Under Consideration, the site where the review was posted.
SupportYourLocalClub.com | 106 years... and counting | KevinJoseph.net | Behance portfolio
POTD 2013-08-22

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

#11 pcgd

pcgd

• Members
  • 7,287 posts

Posted December 11, 2009 - 14:46

Flip-Flip-Flipadelphia!

#12 illwauk

illwauk

• Members
  • 6,952 posts

Posted December 11, 2009 - 14:47

Ah... not sure why I didn't catch on to that right away...

(Yes, I'm a Bucks fan again... provided the new owners don't find a way to f~~k this up.)

#13 Gothamite

Gothamite
  • five boroughs, one City.

• Members
  • 22,937 posts

Posted December 11, 2009 - 16:48

I often like UC's take on logos, but this one baffles me.

Conceptually, the choice of using the Bell could not be more uninspiring and obvious. It’s uninspiring because choosing one icon means intentionally choosing not to showcase the actual abundance of Philadelphia's history.

So are they suggesting that Philadelphia should have forty different logos, each one showcasing one of Philly's many historical attractions? Of course they're going to choose one thing rather than showcase the lot - a unified brand is generally considered a good thing.

I get why people might not like showcasing the Bell, the same way that Milwaukeeans get tired of beer references or Bostonians tire of baked beans. But in this case, the branding works. The logo is clear and strong, adaptable to the various city agencies. Sharp.

#14 eRay

eRay
  • seventeen&counting

• Members
  • 1,997 posts

Posted December 12, 2009 - 00:25

Conceptually, the choice of using the Bell could not be more uninspiring and obvious. It?s uninspiring because choosing one icon means intentionally choosing not to showcase the actual abundance of Philadelphia's history.

So are they suggesting that Philadelphia should have forty different logos, each one showcasing one of Philly's many historical attractions? Of course they're going to choose one thing rather than showcase the lot - a unified brand is generally considered a good thing.

I get why people might not like showcasing the Bell, the same way that Milwaukeeans get tired of beer references or Bostonians tire of baked beans. But in this case, the branding works. The logo is clear and strong, adaptable to the various city agencies. Sharp.

I took their quote to mean that the city chose a single icon to represent the city rather than an idea, feeling, thought, or even a fantastical abstract depiction of how great and historical the city is. Rather than try to say, "This city is exciting and interesting and we have a lot of great history just laying around," they have chosen to say, "We have the Liberty Bell here, remember?" That was just how I interpreted that quote.
Posted Image

#15 andrewharrington

andrewharrington
  • The Go-Getter

• Members
  • 5,475 posts

Posted December 12, 2009 - 16:08

Yes, I feel the better direction would have been something a little more abstract that someone could read into for him or herself. I mean it is very predictable. If you were to ask 10 educated strangers to design a quick logo for the city of Philadelphia, I bet 7 or 8 of them would include the liberty bell.

Aside from all that, though. I think the execution is off as well. The icon is so large that it overwhelms the type lockup, and the stated concerns of the whole icon being tilted have merit. Beside the fact that it's not logical or realistic for the bell to be in that position, I don't think this jazzy, angled, exciting and edgy layout befits the liberty bell. If they had to use the bell as an icon, they would have had much more success with a conservative, stately and elegant approach.
I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of the adidas Group and its brands.]

#16 mcrosby

mcrosby

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted December 13, 2009 - 14:45

Posted Image

Better? Worse? Same?

This post has gone unnoticed for far too long. It's beautiful.
"From a whole pack of Badgers"-Russell Wilson mcrosby On Dribbble
Posted Image

#17 TurnTwo

TurnTwo

• Members
  • 867 posts

Posted December 13, 2009 - 22:17

Posted Image

Better? Worse? Same?

*Mittons
"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."
Turn Two Design // Facebook

#18 thebigeh

thebigeh

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted December 13, 2009 - 22:38

Life, Liberty, and WTF???!!! :blink:

#19 illwauk

illwauk

• Members
  • 6,952 posts

Posted December 14, 2009 - 11:53

Conceptually, the choice of using the Bell could not be more uninspiring and obvious. It?s uninspiring because choosing one icon means intentionally choosing not to showcase the actual abundance of Philadelphia's history.

The sudden trendiness of PBR has caused Milwaukee to embrace its brewing heritage more and more over the past few years (albeit, with more emphasis on microbrews). What Milwaukeeans in my age bracket are tired of are references to lame 30 year old sitcoms created by some Hollywood loser who never even stepped foot in our city until last year! And much like with the Liberty Bell, when then announced their plans to build a bronze statue of The Fonz (which ended up looking more like a guy that took 3rd prize in a Fonzie look alike contest) there were a lot of conversations that went like this...

"I think that with all the attention things like the Art Museum, the riverwalk and the music scene have been getting, it might be better to emphasize those things to show what an eclectic mix of old and new Milwaukee has become."

"OH GAWD... you pretentious young'uns think nothing is "hip" enough if it's not vague, artsy and weird!!!"

So Phily... I feel ya pain... stay strong...

#20 jayjackson3

jayjackson3
  • Baseball!

• Members
  • 3,985 posts

Posted December 14, 2009 - 12:22

I don't know. I think the logo and the slogan are just fine. When I went to Philly, the first things I wanted to see were the Liberty Bell and the Rocky Statue. I'm sure many tourists wanna see the same thing when they go there. I think the logo is a nice reminder that there is a lot to see in one of the most historical cities in the United States. Philly does a much better job of flaunting it's historical significance than most major cities. I think that's a great thing.