Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

With Georgia State heading to the Sun Belt, who does the CAA target?

George Mason and VCU play club football. What are the odds of them jumping over to NCAA?

I heard that Richmond doens't have a proper Division I FCS stadium right now, and there's no drive for VCU to have a varsity football program right now, so the Rams are out for now.

Don't know about George Mason.

George Mason and VCU play club football. What are the odds of them jumping over to NCAA?

I heard that Richmond doens't have a proper Division I FCS stadium right now, and there's no drive for VCU to have a varsity football program right now, so the Rams are out for now.

"Proper FCS Stadium"? They moved from a near 20K capacity city owned stadium (not all that great of a facility), to a renovated on campus stadium that sits around 10K. Richmond clearly has no plans to move up to FBS. VCU could use the city owned stadium if they did indeed get serious about the football program join NCAA FCS.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

What do you think this is? :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Old news, our old Dean basically said that as long as he was in charge, VCU wouldn't have a team, the time has passed & VCU is studying City Stadium. Students & Alumni are chomping at the bits for football, in my opinion, its not a matter of if anymore, its a matter of when & I can't wait.

baltimoreravens.png

I don't think University of Richmond would share Robins Stadium with VCU.

I don't think University of Richmond would share Robins Stadium with VCU.

Robins Stadium is on U of R's campus, City Stadium is in Richmond.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Stadium_%28Richmond%29

Also...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VCU_Rams_football

Edited by rvrdgsfn

baltimoreravens.png

According to May 1st, the A-10 will welcome Butler, VCU & George Mason. VCU has denied the reports, no word on Mason & Btuler

http://collegesportsinfo.com/2012/04/20/report-george-mason-vcu-to-join-atlantic-10-on-may-1-2012/

When the Atlantic 10 learned it has lost it?s keystone program, Temple, to the Big East, in 2013, the conference knew it needed to do something bold to replace them. But sometimes, when losing a school of so much importance, a single addition isn?t enough. So what?s better than adding Butler, a 2 year final game participant? Also adding George Mason and VCU, two other recent Final Four representatives in recent years.

Per Lenn Robbins of the NY Post, George Mason and VCU will be announcing they will be joining the Atlantic 10 on May 1st, with Butler expected to join as well.

The move would line up the Atlantic 10 as the premiere non-football sponsoring conference in the NCAA for the sport of basketball.

baltimoreravens.png

I'm going to need to see something from something more reliable than the New York Post before I believe it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

For those of you interested....this week is key for what happens to college football beginning in the 2013 (or 2014) season, as far as the postseason goes.

"All parties involved" (BCS officials, conference commissioners, bowl game reps, the TV networks, etc.) are meeting in South Florida this week to discuss a multitude of issues, the most of which includes a modified system of determining a national champion.

For those of you interested....this week is key for what happens to college football beginning in the 2013 (or 2014) season, as far as the postseason goes.

"All parties involved" (BCS officials, conference commissioners, bowl game reps, the TV networks, etc.) are meeting in South Florida this week to discuss a multitude of issues, the most of which includes a modified system of determining a national champion.

It better a 16 team playoff (11 conference champs & 5 at large bids) ran by the NCAA, with the only neutral site game being the championship. Leaving bowl games to act as an NIT for football (for teams with WINNING records, no more .500 teams getting rewarded). If you're gonna do a playoff, don't pussyfoot around with it. Jump right in. 16 team playoff is better than a "Plus One". FBS schools have the resources (money) in place to handle an additional 4 to 6 weeks of extra football. Lower division schools have been making it work for years now working with less resources. Plus limiting a playoff to 16 leaves plenty of quality team to play in the bowl games.

That's just my 2 cents on the matter.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Georgia Southern is planning to move to FBS. The story is on a PDF, but to summarize:

The five phases of the "Soaring to Victory" campaign are

Phase I:"Stabilizing the Program" ($15.5 million)

Phase II: "Enhancing the Student-Athlete Experience" ($2.85 million)

Phase III: "Upgrading Athletic Facilities" ($7.5 million)

Phase IV: "Improving the Fan Experience" ($10.5 million)

Phase V:"Expanding the Technology Infrastructure ($275,000).

Phase I, "Stabilizing the Program," is focused on giving GSU's football program a recruiting and training advantage over its competition. Also, the effort includes ensuring that coaches in all sports are paid at or above the Southern Conference mid-point to keep good coaches in Statesboro.

The marquee project of Phase I is the construction of a 57,000-square-foot Football Operations Center in the east end zone of Paulson Stadium. The multi-purpose facility

would house a weight room, sports medicine rooms, locker rooms, coaches' offices, team meeting rooms, equipment rooms and the university's football hall of fame.

Georgia Southern's Athletic Foundation is trying to raise $10 million for the construction of the facility, the single-largest privately funded project in the school's history. Mulherin said the campaign began July 1, 2011, and the GSU Athletic Foundation has generated $5.1 million in cash and signed pledges.

GSU’s athletics budget is about $12 million, Keel said. To move up to the FBS, GSU will need a minimum of an additional $4.4 million to cover everything from travel expenses to more scholarships if the football team moves from the 63 scholarships in the FCS to 85 scholarships in the FBS.

Also, Georgia Southern's athletics budget ranks 95th among the 125 schools in the FCS.